http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-800.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > Picture Perfect

Picture Perfect Tips for taking better pictures, using photo editing softwares.

Old 07-15-2009, 12:16

Default D-flector/light box????

I have a d-flector and even though it helps with my pics I am not pleases with the complete outcome. I am wondering if the bulbs I am using on my desk lamps are not the right kind. I am using daylight bulbs and have my camera setting on daylight. Plus I am not even sure if I have them angled in the right direction.

Now I am wondering if I should purchase a light box or not. If I decide to to go that direction, where should I buy mine?

I am wanting to find the easiest way to take photos of my products without having to edit so much.

On top of that I am having so much trouble with my purple and lavender items looking blue.
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:44

Default Re: D-flector/light box????

Well, I had to look up what a D-flector was... I don't sell bows or anything but do photography... so I have not actually seen this before! It's neat... but I think it's going to take some playing with for you... it seems like it's designed to work with a flash... so having said that you should really be needing to set up lamps for this. But, the downfall of a standard on-camera flash is it tends to over power the subject... so you could try using that with your camera flash (no other lights set up)... if you are getting shadows or your bows are getting washed out you could try taping a piece of wax paper, white coffee filter, or white tissue over the flash to lessen the effect of the flash.
As for trouble with colors... that is a white balance issue... so if you are using lamps for light try to find bulbs at the highest wattage you can get that have an actual temperature on them (it'll say a number then K... that's the "temp" in kelvin) then you can either set your camera to this temp if you have that ability or set your editing software to that temp. But you may still have issues if there are other light sourses, like a window... so if your camera can, you could set a custom white balance (it's different in all cameras, so check your manual)
as for a light box... here's a link to a DIY one: Strobist: How To: DIY $10 Macro Photo Studio
It is used in the site photos with an external flash... I don't know how well it would do with house lamps... but you can find some higher wattage shop lamps and experiment to make it work! White backgrounds are difficult to get straight out of the camera without professional lighting... oh, one tip I just thought of... essentally to get the white background white (normally a camera would turn it gray or blue-ish without proper lighting) is to add a light on the background or behind the background! So if you decide to do something other the D-flector, then try using a white backdrop that can have a light under or behind it... the added light from behind will overexpose the background and give you a pure white.
(sorry for rambling... but photography is what I do much better then bows, hope it helps you)
Old 07-15-2009, 12:58

Wow, that is a lot of information. Thank you. I am not a professional when it comes to cameras. I have a Cannon Power Shot SX100. It has so much stuff on there that I still need to learn.

I know how to make my settings to daylight, flourescent h, flourescent, tungsten, cloudy, AWB but I am not sure how to work the evaluate white balance setting. I also set my camera to Macro for the close up shots.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:52

Go here... Strobist: How To: DIY $10 Macro Photo Studio
this helped a lot with pictures. And is way cheaper than a prof. Light box!
HTH
Old 07-15-2009, 09:59

Ladies -
I just bought a light box on Ebay for $36.00 (free shipping) and it came with the two lights, the box with 4 background colors and a little tripod for my camera. It's due to be delivered on Friday but I thought that was a great deal. Let me see if I can find the link......

Portable Photo Studio Lighting Light Box Tent Kit,PLT05 - eBay (item 250419849914 end time Aug-04-09 09:32:04 PDT)

Hope the link works.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:15

That is an awesome deal!!
Wish I had the extra cash.lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by karina721 View Post
Ladies -
I just bought a light box on Ebay for $36.00 (free shipping) and it came with the two lights, the box with 4 background colors and a little tripod for my camera. It's due to be delivered on Friday but I thought that was a great deal. Let me see if I can find the link......

Portable Photo Studio Lighting Light Box Tent Kit,PLT05 - eBay (item 250419849914 end time Aug-04-09 09:32:04 PDT)

Hope the link works.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:42

Quote:
Ladies -

Hope the link works.
That is such an awesome deal. I could not pass it up. Thank you for the link. It won't hurt to have different options when it comes to taking photos.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:45

Glad I can help. I'm excited to use it! Can't wait until it gets here.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:43

Quote:
Ladies -

Hope the link works.
That's funny! I just ordered this, too, and it's a GREAT deal. Mine came a couple of weeks ago but I just got around to playing with it.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowHeadz View Post
Go here... Strobist: How To: DIY $10 Macro Photo Studio
this helped a lot with pictures. And is way cheaper than a prof. Light box!
HTH
I cannot wait to try this. I have been looking for a clear tutorial for how to do this. thank you for posting the link.
Sponsored Links