Pendant Satin Large Star Flowers Acrylic Rhinestone Disney Bottle Caps 2pc Flatback Resin--Ballet Shoes Hairbows & Hair Clips 1pc Hip Girl Hair Bow Clips--Pink Ballet Shoes 1pc 5.5' Camelia Hair Flower--Hot Pink http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/cherry-blossom-ads.jpg 6pc Large Silk Fairy Hair Flowers--Combo

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > Picture Perfect

Picture Perfect Tips for taking better pictures, using photo editing softwares.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:27

Default Gimp

Hi there!

I just downloaded Gimp and have a few questions...

I've always just used the editing from windows photo gallery...but I want to be able to "blur" the backgrounds...kind of like in this photo:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/82427016...earch_type=all

I also love how crisp and white the photo is too with the white background..I've seen the tutorials using the cardboard box, do you think that is how this was achieved?? I'm also attaching one of my own pics below (can't figure out how to add the pic itself so I put in the link..) to show how I usually put the piece on paper and have to crouch down to ensure I don't get anything in the photo I don't want (such as the back of the chair it is sitting on LOL) or add a prop to the back. Would LOVE to simplify!
https://www.etsy.com/transaction/501...on_id=50104466

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for ANY help! It looks like I have to unexpectedly re-open my shop, so looking to spruce things up!

~Sara

Last edited by sarajo1024; 05-15-2012 at 10:30.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2012, 10:32

Default Re: Gimp

When I tried to add my own photo itself (like shown in the post), it came out HUGE...is there a way to re-size? Sorry for all the ?'s...to say I'm "technologically challenged" is an understatement...

~Sara
Old 05-15-2012, 11:03

Hi Sara! First off, I'm pretty sure they didn't blur the background in Gimp. That effect in the photo you linked to is usually achieved by using the macro setting on your digital camera. Macro focuses on close-up objects, and will blur out the rest of the background automatically.

And yes, that probably achieved that white background look using a light box and some editing in Gimp or Photoshop! I made my own light box using a tutorial I found (ohsheglows.com/2011/01/26/how-to-make-a-light-box/) and then I always edit my photos in Gimp using the Levels tool to achieve a crisp, white background.

To resize photos in Gimp, go to Image > Scale Image. Hope that helps!
Old 05-15-2012, 11:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiwang View Post
Hi Sara! First off, I'm pretty sure they didn't blur the background in Gimp. That effect in the photo you linked to is usually achieved by using the macro setting on your digital camera. Macro focuses on close-up objects, and will blur out the rest of the background automatically.

And yes, that probably achieved that white background look using a light box and some editing in Gimp or Photoshop! I made my own light box using a tutorial I found (ohsheglows.com/2011/01/26/how-to-make-a-light-box/) and then I always edit my photos in Gimp using the Levels tool to achieve a crisp, white background.

To resize photos in Gimp, go to Image > Scale Image. Hope that helps!
Thank you SO much! I appreciate the advice I will have to play around with my camera...Macro setting is the little flower pic, right?? I'm hopeless with electronics LOL Thanks again
Old 05-15-2012, 12:09

I agree the camera was most likley on a macro setting, and she used a lightbox.
Here are some GREAT turtorials on using gimp. I highly recommend them. They will make using gimp so much easier.
http://gimpedtutorials.com/index.php...g-around-gimp/

Pampered Princess
Looking for wholesale felties? Check out my page! Lots to choose from.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidijens1 View Post
I agree the camera was most likley on a macro setting, and she used a lightbox.
Here are some GREAT turtorials on using gimp. I highly recommend them. They will make using gimp so much easier.
http://gimpedtutorials.com/index.php...g-around-gimp/
Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I've been staring at the screen with a confused look for a while...LOL
Old 05-19-2012, 01:41

Actually, that's my pic . It was taken in natural light - on some tagboard on the floor next to my sliding glass door. When it's sunny I use a sheet of tissue paper to diffuse the light. I used to use a light box, but to me nothing beats good natural light. I have a good DSLR and a good lens (I believe I just took this pic on the 'auto' setting) - the only editing done to the picture was brightening, possibly upping the contrast a little, and cropping. HTH!

Last edited by sara_m; 05-21-2012 at 12:20.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara_m View Post
Actually, that's my pic . It was taken in natural light - on some tagboard on the floor next to my sliding glass door. When it's sunny I use a sheet of tissue paper to diffuse the light. I used to use a light box, but to me nothing beats good natural light. I have a good DSLR and a good portraiture lens (I believe I just took this pic on the 'auto' setting) - the only editing done to the picture was brightening, possibly upping the contrast a little, and cropping. HTH!

Thank you so much!! Your shop and photos are fabulous!! I soo need a new camera..someday!!

~Sara
Old 05-21-2012, 12:20

Thanks . I realized after looking at which listing you were talking about again, that I was most likely using the manual setting, 35mm lens, and had the aperture wide open (probably f/1.8) to achieve the shallow depth of field (i.e. the blurring in the background). Sorry about that, I use the auto for the majority of my product photos - that's what I get for typing in the wee hours of the morning .