Pendant Satin Large Star Flowers Acrylic Rhinestone Disney Bottle Caps 2pc Flatback Resin--Ballet Shoes Hairbows & Hair Clips 1pc Hip Girl Hair Bow Clips--Pink Ballet Shoes 1pc 5.5' Camelia Hair Flower--Hot Pink http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/cherry-blossom-ads.jpg 6pc Large Silk Fairy Hair Flowers--Combo

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > Picture Perfect

Picture Perfect Tips for taking better pictures, using photo editing softwares.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:57

Default Does anyone use actions from Paint the Moon?

I am pretty bad with taking pictures but I have to learn to do it myself. I am practicing and I came across Annie at Paint the Moon. I am intimidated by Photoshop but her actions look like maybe they wouldn't be that hard and could solve most of my photography blunders. I didn't see if you can use jpeg images or if you have to use RAW. I am trying to learn all this! If anyone has used it, it is hard to learn (for someone that Photoshop scares the crap out of of)http://paintthemoon.net/blog/
Old 11-30-2011, 09:37

Default Re: Does anyone use actions from Paint the Moon?

I use them! I also shoot in raw, shooting in raw allows you to edit the photo easier in photoshop raw. Basically you click the raw file and it will bring you to a window in photoshop. You can manipulate the photo better this way because you are actually manipulating the raw elements. Does that make sense?

Then after I do my basic white balance in raw, with a little exposure fix I click finish and the file is now in my photoshop. That is where I would apply my Paint the moon actions.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:49

Here is a example of shooting the photo in raw and the adjustments I made to the photo using paint the moon actions.

ok as you can see he is a bit red, and the overall photo has a tint of red. So I used the following:

Banish red orange blotchies
creamy skin brightner
creamy and smooth skin
baby powder

then I smoothed the background with the clone brush on low to get rid of the wrinkles.
then I used the following:
paint on color pops for the background
Selective focus

lastly I used
Lets be clear

Last edited by cbettua; 11-30-2011 at 09:52.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:54

Awesome! I am trying to shoot the RAW images like you suggested but I am also trying to shoot manually so my focus is all crazy right now. I know I just need to keep practicing. I really don't know photoshop that well, so I thought maybe the Paint the Moon actions would help me. I think she lets you try it for free, so I am going to try it and see what I think. Thanks (again) for your help!
Old 11-30-2011, 02:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola459 View Post
Awesome! I am trying to shoot the RAW images like you suggested but I am also trying to shoot manually so my focus is all crazy right now. I know I just need to keep practicing. I really don't know photoshop that well, so I thought maybe the Paint the Moon actions would help me. I think she lets you try it for free, so I am going to try it and see what I think. Thanks (again) for your help!
Shooting in manual doesn't necessarily mean focus in manual. I don't focus in manual I use auto, and then toggle my focus between focus points

Old 11-30-2011, 03:18

I don't know if either of you use Lightroom for editing, but there are presets, which work like lightroom. Pretty presets has some great ones and I use hers. She has them for both jpeg and RAW. Lightroom is really great for editing, and it makes things so much quicker. LR3 has so many new features that you really need to use photoshop for fine tuning. I haven't played much with photoshop but I know my pro photog friends who started using LR3 have said they have really been able to cut down their editing time and the amount of time that they have had to spend in photoshop.

As for photoshop actions, I have heard great things about MCP actions as well. I think Florabella also has actions and textures to look into.

I shoot in manual, but I also do a lot of manual focus. When I shot with my old camera, my 50mm didn't autofocus so I was forced to become really good at it. Now it's jsut habit so it works well since I can pick up older manual lenses for cheap and use them on D300s. I am looking for a nice older macro lens and since I don't use the autofocus with the macro since it kills my battery trying to focus, I'm just getting an older all manual (aperture, focus, etc) one. If you are going all manual route, jsut keep practicing. It's a struggle in the beginning, but eventually it will be a piece of cake. One thing you can try is to use your autofocus to get you close to a focus you like and then swtich into auto focus to fine tune to get the details you really like. I do that sometimes, especially when I am trying to selective focus.
Sponsored Links