hip girl boutique 1" metallic gold gliter sparkle ribbon
hip girl boutique grosgrain ribbon wrapped headbands for girls women baby toddler
hip girl boutique goody ponytail pigtail holder for women girl toddler baby

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Sew A Lot > How To Sew...

How To Sew... Patterns, tutorials, questions...

Old 04-29-2010, 12:01

Default Would you buy a reconditioned sewing machine?

So, I'd love to get into sewing, and I am a complete beginner. I talked to my MIL about wanting to start sewing, and she told me about a Brother 14 stitch sewing machine on sale at Big Lots for $59. But, when I looked it up on their website, it says it is a "reconditioned" sewing machine.

So, would you buy it? Or do you think I'm better off going with something else.

If anyone could suggest any alternatives, I'd appreciate the advise! ( I want to stay under $100, though, since I am just beginning.)

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2010, 12:04

Default Re: Would you buy a reconditioned sewing machine?

I bought a sewing machine from an estate sale last September when I was just starting out and it has been wonderful, I've had no problems with it! Of course, I only paid $20 for it so I wouldn't have been too upset about something going wrong! It was a great starter machine and I am still using it while drooling over some of the new models and the sergers! I say if you're just starting out you would be best off with a reconditioned machine or one bought from a estate sale or yard sale to see if you like it enough to invest more money!
Old 04-29-2010, 12:11

All that could mean is someone got it home opened the box then changed their mind. They can't sell open boxes for full price. I say go for it. Some timed this is what kinda things I look at first. You can GET SOME GOOD DEALS.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:22

I think you would be fine. For even cheaper, you could probably find a decent machine on craigslist. I teach sewing classes for our local homeschooling group. My son needed his own machine for the class. I picked up a really nice one for $30, and it was only a few years old, so we totally lucked out!
~Janet~ Bow Hobbyist, retired WAHM.... When we move out of the way and give the Lord room to stand in our lives He will glorify Himself in us ~Isaiah 60:13
Old 04-29-2010, 12:44

try craigslist too! I got really lucky just the other day I decided to learn how to sew I looked on craigslist and there was a kenmore ultra mini for 40 bucks she used it twice. im excited cant loose out on a 40 sewing machine
Old 04-29-2010, 12:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama2my3ks View Post
I think you would be fine. For even cheaper, you could probably find a decent machine on craigslist. I teach sewing classes for our local homeschooling group. My son needed his own machine for the class. I picked up a really nice one for $30, and it was only a few years old, so we totally lucked out!
Central valley? is that a city or do u mean like kern area?
Old 04-29-2010, 08:43

I was looking at that machine. Reconditioned means something was wrong with it and it was returned and the manufacturer fixed it and is being sold at a discounted price rather than the company taking a complete loss. I did not buy the machine because i have 2 and I don't know how to sew but I bought one used at the goodwill for $5. it was a little older model but probably owned by an older person it was immaculate and had so many extras. I just need to learn how to sew. I bought a reconditioned iron at ollie's and it was the best it finally died on me recently after like 6yrs .
Old 04-29-2010, 08:48

Thanks for all the great feedback!

Great suggestions from everyone...I'm going straight to Craigslist, now. Hopefully I'll get lucky. I'll check Goodwill etc. too. I'll keep the one at Big Lots in mind, but search for an even better deal, like some of you ladies have found.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:52

BUy name brand! like singer and kenmore. The parts are not as hard to come buy. And the old saying goes "an oldie but a goodie" is the truth. i have an old machine and i would not traide it for a new one anyday.
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-300.jpg