60% Off--Tulle
80% Off--Tulle

60% Off--Felt
80% Off--Felt
70% Off--Crochet Hats
70% Off--Crochet Hats
50% Off--Crochet Headbands
50% Off--Crochet Headbands

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Sew A Lot > How To Sew...

How To Sew... Patterns, tutorials, questions...

Old 04-25-2010, 09:13

Default Is there a sewing machine that doesn't require 5324 steps just to get ready to sew??!

Ok, my MIL let me borrow her sewing machine. It's old fashioned and just plain old. I'm not sure if that makes any difference ? I watched a step by step tutorial on how to thread the bobbin, etc. up to actually sewing. Now, is there a simpler machine out there that you don't have to go through so many steps just to get sewing? TIA!
Old 04-25-2010, 10:43
Banned

Default Re: Is there a sewing machine that doesn't require 5324 steps just to get ready to se

Ummm, I am pretty sure you have to thread all of them but many machine have arrows on them to remind you where the thread goes. Once you get the hang of it, it should not take that long to change out a thread.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:02

Default Re: Is there a sewing machine that doesn't require 5324 steps just to get ready to se

Do not be so quick to throw your old machine under the bus. Old machines ROCK! They are work horses, and sew like butter, much better then a lot of the modern day machines. That said, you will have to go through all the same steps with whatever sewing machine you get. Once you master it you can thread it, wind a bobbin, and be ready to sew in less then a few miniutes... Goodluck!!
~Janet~ Bow Hobbyist, retired WAHM.... When we move out of the way and give the Lord room to stand in our lives He will glorify Himself in us ~Isaiah 60:13
Old 04-25-2010, 11:56

LOL Ok, I will practice practice practice! I usually take on a new project head-on, but this dang sewing machine is so intimidating for some reason. Thanks for the encouragement!
Old 04-26-2010, 06:37

Good news is you only have to do the bobbin once & a while, until it runs out or until you want a different bobbin colour.
As far as threading goes, once you've done it like 10 times you will be able to do it without even thinking!
I only use old machines, they are great and will sew through almost anything!
-Amanda
Old 04-26-2010, 07:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassith View Post
Ok, my MIL let me borrow her sewing machine. It's old fashioned and just plain old. I'm not sure if that makes any difference ? I watched a step by step tutorial on how to thread the bobbin, etc. up to actually sewing. Now, is there a simpler machine out there that you don't have to go through so many steps just to get sewing? TIA!
LMAO at your title!!

But as others have said, they are all pretty much the same as far as threading. Bobbins can be different b/c you can have either drop in or front winding.

And YES, the older machines are AWESOME! They were so well made back then. Metal gears and other metal parts make the difference. Things don't break as much. I have one that I need to have serviced (but that costs a lot) so I've been using my faithful Kenmore for now.

Good luck though
Old 04-26-2010, 08:50

I agree with all the girls so far. I have several new machines, but I often find myself on an old baby blue kenmore! Threading a machine will become like second nature in no time. I will admit, I may get a little frustrating if you don't have someone there helping until you are used to it. Luckily I've always had my mom. But don't get discouraged. Keep plugging along and in no time you think you were silly for thinking this was hard!

Now post some pics of all the new things you are making!
Sponsored Links