60% Off--Tulle
80% Off--Tulle

60% Off--Felt
80% Off--Felt
70% Off--Crochet Hats
70% Off--Crochet Hats
50% Off--Crochet Headbands
50% Off--Crochet Headbands

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Sew A Lot > How To Sew...

How To Sew... Patterns, tutorials, questions...

Old 01-29-2009, 12:01

Smile Re: haha-don't laugh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess_stinkypants_mom View Post
Ok, so I tried the zigzag again, only this time I changed the width to 5 and the other to 0.1. I started sewing, and the thread kept getting bunched up in one spot-my material was not flowing through so it would bunch up and get caught under the foot. WHY? What else could I have done to prevent that from happening?
I broke out my machine yesterday....same problem with the thread...welcome to the wonderful world of sewing, eh!

And I think your zigzags are darling...but that may be my "beginner's eye"...good luck!

I looked into sewing classes at Joann, but alas, they don't offer classes...in my entire state. She did recommend a local sewing place that only charges $25.00 per hour for a 2-1/2 hr class - not sure I can swing that. I'll be zig-zagging along with you at home!

Jennifer
Another crafty stay at home mom~www.3aminspirations.com
Sponsored Links

Old 01-29-2009, 06:01

Default Re: haha-don't laugh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess_stinkypants_mom View Post
Ok, so I tried the zigzag again, only this time I changed the width to 5 and the other to 0.1. I started sewing, and the thread kept getting bunched up in one spot-my material was not flowing through so it would bunch up and get caught under the foot. WHY? What else could I have done to prevent that from happening?
change the 0.1 to a slightly higher setting - each machine has it's 'sweet spot' where it works perfectly for satin stitch. Try practicing on a piece of scrap to get length / width right. Once you work out the setting required for your machine write it down, so when you do it again at a later date you know what you need. I have been sewing for quite a few years, but still refer to my list of settings.

Also, try loosening the tension knob...may help

Eda D.C
Old 01-29-2009, 12:04

It sure looks better than what I could do....I really want to try it, but I'm afraid to attempt it because I just know I'm going to waste a whole lot of fabric and thread....LOL!
Old 02-07-2009, 02:00

I saw this on J. Caroline's Creative site and am going to try this tomorrow. I had to borrow my MIL's sewing machine, so it took me a week to do that, but now I am ready...

I am so glad you posted your try, that way I can learn from all these posts. I am sure to mess it up royally! Yours looks pretty darn good! Luckily my fabric is a cheap scrap from wally world, but it's black with white polka dots and I have been dying to applique it with purple thread.

I've got a hand me down onesie, so it's okay if I bomb, but wish me luck anyway!
Old 02-07-2009, 09:03

I think its great for your first time!! You can only get better from here!

Wholesale FOE headbands and Bowbands
Old 02-07-2009, 03:34

I think for your first time that is awesome!! I am going to attempt one within the next few days as soon as I dust my machine off from storage. i hope mine comes out as good as yours did.

I'm going to practce on some stained onesies first!!
Old 02-07-2009, 08:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiej View Post
I think for your first time that is awesome!! I am going to attempt one within the next few days as soon as I dust my machine off from storage. i hope mine comes out as good as yours did.

I'm going to practce on some stained onesies first!!
I know I'm really ticked because I got rid of ALLLLLL of my kids' onesies in a garage sale this summer not thinking I would ever need them for something like this! I went into Goodwill the other day, and those really aren't much cheaper than the packs at Walmart....only I didn't have to buy 5 of them, I just bought 2 to practice on. I'll order nice ones when I know I can do it, but I started a sewing class today so I hope that helps!
Old 02-09-2009, 11:03

Thank you for posting that I got my table ready to start to sew and I was going to try this. Yours looks so good I am not that scared now!!
Old 02-09-2009, 08:43

Another trick to make sure you stay nice and straight all the way around. Use your chalk pencil to draw a nice even line around the edge that you can use as your guide (it will wash off). For the beginner sewer, the best tip my mom gave me when I was learning to sew, practice on paper with no thread just doing straight lines, then do corners, curves etc.... Learn you machine. You'll pick up everything you need to know along the way. The internet and forms like this are a tremendous help.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:05

Thanks for sharing this. I am making my first Monogrammed applique shirt today and I'm stoked I'll have to post when I'm done
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg