http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/lined-alligator-clips-with-teeth.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/7-8-rainbow-chevron-ribbon.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/1-25-satin-DIY-mini-bow-combo-1.jpg
new product--crochet hat

1.5' 7/8' Zebra New Colors

New products--peony new colors

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 11-17-2011, 10:32

Default Clay Crosses

These wholesale for $9, but I was wondering if they could be made cheaper? Only thing is I have no idea how to make them. Anyone good with clay?
http://thefamilystore.net/2011B/14177.jpg
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-300.jpg
Old 11-17-2011, 10:40

Default Re: Clay Crosses

They have these where I work so I got to see them in person. I would think that as long as you use clay that is safe for kids (little mouths gotta love them) It shouldn't be to hard. Just make a cross and then loosly hold it in your hand while it is still wet. HTH
Old 11-17-2011, 10:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by FieldsofSunshine View Post
They have these where I work so I got to see them in person. I would think that as long as you use clay that is safe for kids (little mouths gotta love them) It shouldn't be to hard. Just make a cross and then loosly hold it in your hand while it is still wet. HTH
Thanks, but I have NO IDEA where to start with clay. Is it easy? Where do I buy it? What brand? Is there a good book you would reccomend or a Youtube video? Once I get the clay, I'm afraid that I wouldn't know what to do with it. Do I bake it after I make it? See, I know nothing about clay unless playdoh counts.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:07

I would say that it looks like a polymer clay type product that has been marbled with 2 colors together to make the wood grain. It is baked in the oven to make it harden, and I looked at a package of Sculpey premo that just happens to be on my desk and it says non toxic....
Old 11-17-2011, 11:06

I can't imagine how you can make that without leaving fingerprints.

Kel
Old 11-17-2011, 11:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieMum View Post
I would say that it looks like a polymer clay type product that has been marbled with 2 colors together to make the wood grain. It is baked in the oven to make it harden, and I looked at a package of Sculpey premo that just happens to be on my desk and it says non toxic....
Thanks. I assume Hobby Lobby has "Sculpey premo"? I'll check tomorrow and give it a shot. Thanks again!
Old 11-18-2011, 06:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac View Post
I can't imagine how you can make that without leaving fingerprints.

Kel
you can burnish the fingerprints off of it.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieMum View Post
you can burnish the fingerprints off of it.
I would never have thought of that.

Kel
Old 11-19-2011, 04:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac View Post
I would never have thought of that.

Kel
sometimes I use the flat side of a popsicle stick or the barrel of a pen--I once saw a poly clay "expert" do that on the Carrol Duvall show (remember that from HGTV like, 15 years ago?)
Old 11-19-2011, 08:27

I make polymer clay figures (like fairies, etc) but the crosses should be easy enough. I like FIMO best. It's easy to work with and bakes nice and strong at 230degrees. Youcan get FIMO at Joanns for sure, but I'm assuming Hobby Lobby and Michaels have it too. I wouldn't get Sculpey white though because it cracks easy. )learned that the hard way) Super Sculpey isn't too bad for starting out either.

To remove fingerprints, you can use a mix of baby oil and rubbing alcohol on an angled paintbrush. That will allow you to remove any fingerprints and also any lint or dust on the surface of the clay. As far as the color blend, you have a lot of options. You can simply paint it with acrylic paint when you are done. But if you want a design in the clay itself, try googling tuts for millefiore or skinner blends. That'll show you some ideas of how to blend the clay colors. I don't do that with what I do, but when I first started with clay, I read how to do it.

There's been a lot of talk about the safety of using your home oven to bake polymer clay. I bought a turbo oven that's dedicated just to my clay pieces, but before that I used my home oven. Some of the ladies I know will get aluminum baking pans and put one upside down on top of the other. That way it traps any potential fumes. Just an FYI.

Also, when we make any of our clay projects, we use an armature to give our sculpts support. You can make it out of some twisted wire (anything from the cheap stuff you can get in the beading area to a coat hanger if you need to) and you can wrap aluminum foil around it to bulk it up so your clay isn't as thick. Check your clay package to see the thickness they recommend. Also, if you use an armature, wrap it with either white floral tape or masking tape before you put the clay on it. It will keep your clay cleaner. I know some ladies will then put on a coat of Aleene's tacky glue and let that dry before they add clay. Not necessary, but it can help the clay hold onto the armature. And to smooth it out once the clay is on the armature, you can use something as simple as the edge of the side of a knitting needle.

I think if I was making an armature for a cross, I'd get 2 pieces of thicker wire & lay them out as a cross, then take some thin wire (like paddle wire from the floral area is great for this and cheap) & wrap it criss-cross (like in an X shape) to go around and hold the two thicker wires together. I hope you can tell what I am trying to say, I'm not sure how to phrase what I'm seeing in my head. lol

I hope this helps you out. Polymer clay is a great medium to work in. Once you start with it, you may want to keep making more things!

Last edited by TieDyesnButterflies; 11-19-2011 at 08:32. Reason: forgot to add something
Sponsored Links