New products--alligator clips with teeth
Free bottle cap tutorial/instructions--sealing bottle caps
New products--3' star grosgrain ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/40yd-solid-grosgrain-ribbon-combo.jpg
New products--hip scottie III
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/24pc-inter-daisy-hb-cmb.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 10-27-2011, 07:29

Default Re: Cut ribbon for puffs and other things 100 times faster!!!

Thanks for the tip! They also have metal rulers at dollar tree. I picked up a few last time I was there because I'm always losing them.
Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies
Old 10-27-2011, 07:56

Thanks for the idea, I recently had a sale on the loopy puffs and ugh, they were sooooooo time consuming with cutting and heat sealing each piece. Next time I will try this
Old 01-16-2012, 01:20

Great idea!! I'm sure I have a glass cutting mat somewhere...
Old 01-16-2012, 01:29

I did something similar to this when I was on the ribbon puff craze Only I used a piece of cardboard. Then I could just throw it away when I'm done.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:47

I do this too its great!

For the one I made I took the glass out of a picture frame (12x16 I believe) laid it down over a tape measure and marked across with a sharpie every 1/8" making 1/2" and 1" longer... basically I traced the tape measure.... then the came the tricky part of writing all the numbers backwards so I could see them clearly on the other side. I then used white duck tape and covered the edges (about 1/2") and the entire back.... for fear that one day, it might fall and crap.. this way I hope it won't shatter!

I keep a cheat sheet of my most used measurements going across... like for alligator clips (4.25, 8.5, 12.75... etc)

Its my permanent work surface, love it because not only can I heat seal and cut at the same time, hot glue comes right off!

Last edited by sillyitiliangrl; 01-17-2012 at 08:50.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtordebp View Post
I have a small glass top table (I think is supposed to be a wine rack on bottom) and taped a tape measure to the underside and do this also.
Same here. I use a large thick glass table topper over the top of my work table and ran a sewing measuring tape across my table under the glass.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojyllek View Post
One length of ribbon at a time.
I have my mat marked the long way... I lay it down, then the spool of ribbon on the left, trail of ribbon sticking out across the board, all the way to the other side. I have my markings for sizes all the way across the board. Like, I have a line that is my length for clippie lining, another with the length I need for ribbon flowers, etc. Each line has 3 or 4 or whatever lengths will fit on the board.
Then swipe/swipe/swipe/swipe - I just cut and heat-sealed 4 ribbons for clip lining. Then I pull some more ribbon out and put it just below what is already cut and use the already cut ones to measure and cut another length of the cutting board.
It is seriously fast.
Great idea but I cut mine FOUR TIMES FASTER.

Worked in the same fashion you do but instead of laying down one ribbon then cutting, I decide what color combination I'm going to use in my puff and lay all four of those ribbons across the glass at the same time. I use my metal ruler so I get a straight cut then swipe/swipe/swipe. Sixteen ribbons cut (4x4) and I set up my board again and do it all over again & again & again. Works like a charm. Better yet, I have my DIL to do all this while I sew the puff together. I guess that would mean I actually don't do the cutting at all.

I only cut up to 4 across because I seem to do better with that number. If I work with more then 4 it seems the ribbon will slide and that leaves me with uneven sizes for my cut ribbon.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:17

how do you make sure that your ribbons don't slide around as you cut them???
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondam View Post
Great idea but I cut mine FOUR TIMES FASTER.

Worked in the same fashion you do but instead of laying down one ribbon then cutting, I decide what color combination I'm going to use in my puff and lay all four of those ribbons across the glass at the same time. I use my metal ruler so I get a straight cut then swipe/swipe/swipe. Sixteen ribbons cut (4x4) and I set up my board again and do it all over again & again & again. Works like a charm. Better yet, I have my DIL to do all this while I sew the puff together. I guess that would mean I actually don't do the cutting at all.

I only cut up to 4 across because I seem to do better with that number. If I work with more then 4 it seems the ribbon will slide and that leaves me with uneven sizes for my cut ribbon.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:28

Use clippies on the edge of the glass to hold the ribbon down, then as you use the woodburner the ribbon will slightly stick to the glass (or atleast mine do) and when you are cutting the ribbon the metal ruler will hold the ribbon down so you can make the straight cut. Besides that, I've not really had a problem with the ribbon sliding around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sla762 View Post
how do you make sure that your ribbons don't slide around as you cut them???
Old 02-24-2013, 01:41

Talking Re: Cut ribbon for puffs and other things 100 times faster!!!

Great idea!!! I just need to remember to pick up another wood burner!!!

P.S. I noticed in your post you abbreviated dh. Did you mean dear husband or darn husband?? Lo!! Just joking!!! Hehe!!
Sponsored Links