key fob hardware marabou cherry-blossom-silk-hair-flower 3/8" double ruffle ribbon free tutorial-bottle caps felt circle http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/3in-spike-18pc-set.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 10-24-2011, 05:33

Default I don't get it!? Help.

I am making bottle caps with Enviro-Tex. I mixed and mixed. 1/2 turned out perfect then the other half did not dry clear. They were foggy. What did I do wrong?
Sponsored Links

Old 10-24-2011, 06:49

Default Re: I don't get it!? Help.

I dont do them very often but it could be that it was not mixed well enough. Or the mixture was not made evenly. Just a couple things it maybe,

Proud Member of the Bow Diamonds!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/BowDiamonds

Wholesale Page
http://www.facebook.com/#!/Serendipi...oriesWholesale
Old 10-24-2011, 07:17

I use it with no problem but I am super precise when I mix. I use to small plastic cups (like the ones for the little bathroom dispensers) I mark the outside of the cups at exactly the same place and pour one part of the mix into each cup so I'm sure they are even. Then I pour one into the other stir with a tongue depressor scraping the sides then pour into the other cup stir and scrap. Finally I pour the mixture into a new cup. I always have perfect results.
A tip! Get a clear condiment bottle. Like for Catsup except clear, about a dollar at wal-mart. Makes it much easier to pour your caps! Throw away when finished.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:28

Thanks ladies for your advice. I am heading to the dollar store now to buy little cups. I was using a syringe from the pharmacy ( you know for baby medicine). I thought it was precise but I do not think it is for large amounts.

Thanks again!
Old 10-25-2011, 02:19

Your caps can be foggy for a couple of different reasons. You could have under mixed it or over mixed your resin or if you use a lighter to pop the bubbles it could be because of that.

Here is how I make my bottle caps

I use
envirotex lite
2 plastic disposable cups
3 "popsicle" craft sticks
a scale
a straw
a toothpick

I place a disposable cup on my scale, zero the scale out (make sure its set to grams not ounces)
Pour resin into the plastic cup (as a general rule 1 gram makes one cap, I use a little bit less than this but that is how much I mix, unless it is a flattened bottle cap in which case I use a bit more.

Say we are making 40 caps
I pour 20grams of resin into the container
then I pour 22 grams (for a total of 42) hardener in the same cup (I always err on the side of more hardener than resin).
Mix GENTLY and SLOWLY
Pour into the second container and mix with a new craft stick
Toss that craft stick and get the new one and start putting it on the bottle caps
Once I finish the last cap I grab my straw and GENTLY blow on each bottle cap to pop the bubbles
If there is a stubborn bubble I will bring it to the top with the toothpick and then blow it away

I used to use lighters to pop the bubbles (and am still tempted sometimes) but it would leave a bit of a gray tint to the resin.

I have found that the LESS I actually do to the caps the better they are.

I hope this helps let me know if you have any questions!
Old 10-25-2011, 07:22

Great Dana! Thanks! I appreciate this. I do not have a scale that weighs in grams, only ounces. I may have to get one.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleprincesshairbows View Post
Great Dana! Thanks! I appreciate this. I do not have a scale that weighs in grams, only ounces. I may have to get one.
a great and CHEAP place to get a digital scale is on ebay. Just FYI You can narrow the search to get free shipping too...alot of times the item is cheap til you add in inflated shipping.
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.