key fob hardware marabou cherry-blossom-silk-hair-flower 3/8" double ruffle ribbon free tutorial-bottle caps felt circle http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/3in-spike-18pc-set.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 10-24-2011, 04:04

Unhappy Plastic barrette cover

I bought a few of the 3.5" plastic barrette cover and tried following the directions listed at hipgirl with the barrette covers.

Along the wide edges, you can still see the barrette cover, which I think looks awful. I've tried covering the cover with a few different things to make it look less unfinished, but no dice. I have a ton of 1.5" ribbon I don't know what else to do with, and bought these thinking it'd be an easy fun project. Not so. Any suggestions on how to make these things look more finished??
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-300.jpg
Old 10-24-2011, 10:43

Default Re: Plastic barrette cover

Can you post a link to the covers?

I'm having a hard time picturing what you are talking about.

Kel
Old 10-25-2011, 01:08

They're the ones sold by Hipgirl. I can't link it, the forums won't let me. Search for "barrette cover." I tried following the instructions linked there and you can still see the long edges of the barrette cover. It looks very unfinished and unprofessional.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:21

I embroider names or initials on there and sew around the edges.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerchic View Post
They're the ones sold by Hipgirl. I can't link it, the forums won't let me. Search for "barrette cover." I tried following the instructions linked there and you can still see the long edges of the barrette cover. It looks very unfinished and unprofessional.
Found it.

It looks like there isn't a lot of margin for error in gluing it so the plastic doesn't show on the side. Is that what you mean by "unfinished" or do you simply mean messy, or worse yet, "cheap"?

If it looks messy, are you having a hard time controlling your glue and getting a smooth, even look? If so, you may just need more practice.

Kel
Old 10-25-2011, 11:30

I bought those same barrettes and used double-sided tape to secure. People who saw them finished didn't think it looked that bad. I say make a few and ask others what they think.

You could always cover the sides with 5/8" ribbon before doing the other steps, too.
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-300.jpg

Tags
barrette, barrette cover, french barrette, plastic barrette cover, ribbon