New product--2.5' Mini Korker Bows
Hip girl boutique 50mm grosgrain ribbon wrapped snap clips for baby girl, toddler, infant, newborn, adult, women, school http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/Shabby-frayed-chiffon-flowers-turq.JPG
new products--dippin dots mini pinwheel bow
hip girl boutique christmas grosgrain satin ribbon collection for holidays

HipGirl Boutique Girls Women 6" Jumbo Large Cheer Bow Elastic Hair Tie Ponytail Holder for High School College Cheerleading (10pc Assorted Solids)

HipGirl 25pc Hair Bow Clips Headbands Gift Basket: Grosgrain Korker Ribbon Alligator Clips + Crochet, Ribbon Wrapped Headbans, For Girls Babies Teens Kids Toddlers Adults. For Pigtails, Ponytails

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 10-17-2011, 07:33

Default Whats the secret to a beautiful tutu?

I want to make some for an upcoming craft show but I feel like mine suck! They just don't look like what I see out there. This is what I would like mine to look like. http://www.etsy.com/listing/83482900...or-your-little So what am I doing wrong? Mine just never seem full. How many yards do you usually use? I have tried sewn and tied. I don't have a ton of time for trial and error lol. Any help would be appreciated TIA

~ I wanted to add how do I get that multi layered look? Is the tutu in the link just red and white repeating or is it several red then several white repeating?

Last edited by SPB83; 10-17-2011 at 07:37.
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg
Old 10-17-2011, 08:37

Default Re: Whats the secret to a beautiful tutu?

There is actually a u tube video that has a good visual. I will try to look it up.

The tutu in the picture looks like she used more than one strand at a time meaning take 2 pieces and then "tie" or "knot" it on the elastic. Also it helps if you use something like a rules under the elastic to stabilize it while knotting it on. Push your pieces real close and tight then slide out the ruler. HTH a little
Old 10-17-2011, 08:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amyte View Post
There is actually a u tube video that has a good visual. I will try to look it up.

The tutu in the picture looks like she used more than one strand at a time meaning take 2 pieces and then "tie" or "knot" it on the elastic. Also it helps if you use something like a rules under the elastic to stabilize it while knotting it on. Push your pieces real close and tight then slide out the ruler. HTH a little

This, and it looks like she alternated red and white.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:41

it looks like she used more than one piece of tulle at a time, probably two, and then alternated colors one knot at a time. also, it is a shorter tutu which helps make it look fluffier.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:01

I found this the other day and seems pretty easy to follow. Click on the first pic and she explains step by step as you move to the next pic

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2126868&type=1
Old 10-18-2011, 05:03

In order to have a very full tutu you have to use lots of tulle; like 100 yards.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by lily_em View Post
I found this the other day and seems pretty easy to follow. Click on the first pic and she explains step by step as you move to the next pic

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2126868&type=1
Thanks for posting this. Her tutus look great.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerandHoney View Post
In order to have a very full tutu you have to use lots of tulle; like 100 yards.
Agreed. I've made a couple and in my limited experience I can say that you need to use at least that much, possibly more for bigger kids where you need to cut longer strips to get the length that you need.

Also, it's hard to tell but I think the shape of the mannequin/form in the pic that you posted really enhances the fullness.

Kel
Old 10-24-2011, 03:26

i have made tutus that look like this.... you just double or triple the strands before you tie them.... Here is a Christmas on i did and double layered.
Hope this helps!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg !cid__1222001427.jpg (54.9 KB, 67 views)
Old 10-25-2011, 12:58

I prefer to use tulle from the volt versus yard and use at least 4-6 yards per tutu which I believe is the equivalent of the 100yd bolt. Mine are really fluffy as well (can't post pix from my phone ). I usually cut 20" from the bolt and then cut six inch increments from there to give me a length of 10" . I have found about 10" has the most poof. But I am still new and defer to the brilliance of the veterans here.
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.