5/8" polka dot grosgrain ribbon
Hip Girl Boutique It's a girl grosgrain satin ribbon collection
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/200pc-crochet-headband-combo.jpg

hip girl boutique grosgrain mini bow tie single prong alligator hair bow clips for baby infant new born women girl adult

http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/hair-bow-holder-craft-show-display-180.jpg
New products--Crochet headbands

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 10-13-2011, 04:57

Default glass tile ?s

I am really wanting to make some glass tiles, but I am very confused from what I have read on here vs what I read everywhere else. Now I have to say the instructions are for pendants that I have read elsewhere and I am reading about bottlecaps here, so maybe they aren't the same animal at all?

I just got my very first set of bottlecaps today and *love* them but terrified of making them myself lol. The glass tiles seem like something I might be able to do if they can be made the way I have read. I tried searching here but didn't find much info, so I'm guessing people don't use them as much?

Anyway my question is, since the image is on the bottom of the glass tile, can I use something like Diamond Glaze to attach it, and seal the back with mod podge? I've read Diamond Glaze melts in humidity, and I can see that being an issue with bottlecaps where the image is on top. I've even seen some tuts for glass tile pendants that just use mod podge. I don't want to think I'm safe then find out down the road they are falling apart.

I'd buy them and experiment myself, but I just don't have the spare money right now, so I'd like to have confidence in what I'm doing before putting up the money.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help.
Sponsored Links

Old 10-13-2011, 06:07

Default Re: glass tile ?s

A lot of it is trial and error. I use something similar to diamond glaze to adhere the color laser printed images to the glass and I also use it to coat the back about 3-4 times.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:53

I have used Diamond Glaze and never had trouble with it. I use that to atatch the image and on the back.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:03

I've made thousands of tile charms and this is what I use....I use diamond glaze to adhere the image. Next I paint the back of the charm with 3-4 coats of acrylic paint (I like metallic silver). I'm not really careful with the paint process and am sure to get the edges and even the sides a bit so there's no resin sneaking into my image. Once it is dry, I use resin (envirotek). After that is dry (about 24 hours) I use an exacto knife to clean up the extra acrylic paint or any remaining diamond glaze that is on the glass. I use E3600 to attach the bail.
When I first started making these, I used diamond glaze on the back. I found that after a few wears, make-up or sweat could discolor the piece. My resin pieces are made to last and unlike with bottlecap images, if you have an air bubble or two, it's no big deal because it's the back of your charm. Hope that helps
I saw at a festival last fall someone selling these who had done nothing to the back of the charm, just paper. I'm sure they didn't last long at all.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by amfultz View Post
I saw at a festival last fall someone selling these who had done nothing to the back of the charm, just paper. I'm sure they didn't last long at all.
Ack!! I can't even imagine that. I forgot to mention earlier that I coat a black or brown piece of card stock to the back of the image in between a couple of coats. That way the back side doesn't end up looking grimy from the oils on your skin. I might try the 2-part resin after that. I like the idea of the thicker resin for protection.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:54

Thanks! You guys are awesome, I appreciate the advice. I found a woman on Etsy selling clear round tiles $6/25, is that a decent price? They are supposed to be handmade. I had a rather hard time finding them elsewhere and most were pretty expensive in comparison.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura612 View Post
Ack!! I can't even imagine that. I forgot to mention earlier that I coat a black or brown piece of card stock to the back of the image in between a couple of coats. That way the back side doesn't end up looking grimy from the oils on your skin. I might try the 2-part resin after that. I like the idea of the thicker resin for protection.
You'll love it! It really changes the look and never gets that semi-soft feeling. Embarrassing to say, but I sweat when I'm nervous or anxious, which is just about all the time and resin really makes the pieces hold up well. I never had a single complaint though when I coated with glaze on the back though, so I'm not knocking it.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:36

Where does everyone get their glass tiles from and what is a good price for them?
Old 10-19-2011, 11:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by amfultz View Post
Wow, if you are going to sell something that poorly made then it had better be someplace where you aren't relying on repeat business.

Kel
Sponsored Links