key fob hardware marabou cherry-blossom-silk-hair-flower 3/8" double ruffle ribbon free tutorial-bottle caps felt circle http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/3in-spike-18pc-set.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 10-08-2011, 02:40

Default Can anyone help me!

ADDING:
So here are my results. IF anyone else was wondering. I started using 1.5in bc 2 1/4in. is too expensive to experiment with haha. For all of these bows I used 34in long pieces. The first one all I changed was adding alot more to the bottom than the top and putting the top loops over the bottom loops in the back. I thought it was right at first but I realized later that the tail was coming from the wrong place still. My loops also looked a little off but I thought I would fix them with practice. So the second one I changed up the way I fold my figure 8 so that my tail would come from the right place. BUT I forgot to put my top loops over the bottom ones. Still didnt look bad though. The third is with the changed fold AND with the top loops over the bottom loops with a tiny bit more ribbon used for the bottom than the top. Thanks for all the help everyone

I have tried OVER AND OVER. I can make a twisted boutique perfectly...like this
http://www.etsy.com/listing/73700090...facet=handmade

BUT I much prefer this style and so does EVERYONE else around here.
http://www.etsy.com/listing/82027184...102826_hairbow

You see how you can see more of the INSIDE of the ribbon and the bottom loops are bigger? The bottom loops almost make a point. I have tried everything I can think of. I will purchase any tut you can point me in the direction of or if anyone has any tips I would be forever greatful lol I want to make THIS type of bow darn it!!! Heeeeeeeeelp me puh lease!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bow1.jpg (50.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg bow2.jpg (45.7 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg bow3.jpg (8.8 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by Robin7786; 10-09-2011 at 11:16. Reason: to add findings
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2011, 03:21

Default Re: Can anyone help me!

I hope I can explain this without being confusing, but probably not. LOL

It's the same bow. The difference is the first link has the horizontal portion of the top loop behind the horizontal portion of the bottom loop, while the second one has the horizontal portion of the top loop in front of the horizontal portion of the bottom loop. (So it actually looks upside down to me.) On the second bow, I believe the bottom loops are larger because a longer length of ribbon is used for the bottom loops than the top ones. If the lower loops are marked even 1/2 inch longer than the top loops, it can make a noticeable difference. Also, I think the points you like on the bottom is a matter of proportion between the width of the ribbon and the length of the loops and they seem to be pulled down vertically more than the other one.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:32

I'm not the most experienced bow maker but yes, I think it is the same bow. Pretty sure that is made w/ 2 1/4" ribbon. Best of luck!!
Old 10-08-2011, 03:53

The first bow looks like it was made with a template, possibly the NBNG. The bottom bow looks handmade, which can cause the different look sizes.
Old 10-08-2011, 04:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by barleymom View Post
I hope I can explain this without being confusing, but probably not. LOL

It's the same bow. The difference is the first link has the horizontal portion of the top loop behind the horizontal portion of the bottom loop, while the second one has the horizontal portion of the top loop in front of the horizontal portion of the bottom loop. (So it actually looks upside down to me.) On the second bow, I believe the bottom loops are larger because a longer length of ribbon is used for the bottom loops than the top ones. If the lower loops are marked even 1/2 inch longer than the top loops, it can make a noticeable difference. Also, I think the points you like on the bottom is a matter of proportion between the width of the ribbon and the length of the loops and they seem to be pulled down vertically more than the other one.
Great eye! The top loop IS in front on this bow! There's one thing im doing wrong. I figured the bottom loops had to use more ribbon so I've allowed for that in previous attempts lol. Im using 2 1/4 in ribbon, maybe I just need to use even MORE on the bottom.
Old 10-08-2011, 04:20

Thanks for the tips everyone! How many stitches do you think are in the center? I see 3 "hills" right?

Last edited by Robin7786; 10-08-2011 at 04:28.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin7786 View Post
Thanks for the tips everyone! How many stitches do you think are in the center? I see 3 "hills" right?
Yep, I see 3 hills. I looked at all her other bows, its pretty constant -the top hill seems smaller than the other 2.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:13

Wow I actually got it! It really was as simple as what you guys said. And to think I've been trying for months! Lol
Old 10-09-2011, 10:13

Now show us one of your beautiful new bows.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:16

I added all my pictures to the OP.... thanks again everyone
Sponsored Links