New product--flat back resin
Hipgirl 40 Yards 3/8" Grosgrain Fabric Ribbon Polka Dot Set For Gift Package Wrapping, Hair Bow Clips & Accessories Making, Crafting, Sewing, Wedding Decor, Boy Girl Baby Shower-20x2yd Swiss Polka Dot
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/banners/heatnbond-lt-ad.jpg
New product--frog grosgrain ribbon
New product--5/8' dippin' dots grosgrain ribbon
New product--pop dots

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 09-26-2011, 02:47

Question Tutu dresses--i still need help! :-(

Okay, I have purchased a few tutorials, did google searches and read just about every post on here that I could find on this subject and I am now completely EXHAUSTED with trying to figure out how line the crochet tutu tops. Believe me I have tried everything that my little brain could think of. I tried the suggestion of doubling them and that didn't seem to work because when I went to handsew the top of the two together it didn't allow as much stretch as it did before--meaning it didn't have as much stretch as only having one top, plus I hate having to use two of my crochet headbands for one tutu (I know it may seem insignificant but those little things can end up costing especially since I am using the large 8.5" crochet headbands and you may remember from one of my other posts that I was having problems with the company that I had been buying them from ). I also tried machine sewing a knit lining (so that it would still have the stretch quality) into the crochet headband and let me say first that I know NOTHING about sewing, as a matter of fact, I had to learn how to turn the sewing machine on, let alone learn how to sew a stitch to even be able to sew the lining on. And that didn't work EITHER! I was able to get the lining stitched on, but I still didn't have the same amount of stretch (I tried sewing just the top of the lining to the top of the crochet headband, and then tried just about every alternative I could try ruining many of my small headbands, because I didn't want to use all my good large headbands, without any success). UGGGH!!!!!! PLEASE SOMEONE TELL ME HOW TO EITHER LINE THE CROCHET TUTU TOPS or PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE TELL ME WHAT OTHER ALTERNATIVES I COULD USE (other than doubling the headbands) SO THAT THE TUTUS WON'T BE SEE-THROUGH. I feel like I am going to have a melt-down any moment now...
Sponsored Links

Old 09-26-2011, 08:30

Default Re: Tutu dresses--i still need help! :-(

no no -not one on top of each other -side by side take a 6" crochet band -cut in down the middle-- take the 2nd one and do the same --now stitch it together to make it super long --then stitch the 2 ends so you have a very WIDE band -not high--I would send you pics if thats easier? --once you sew them all extra thread your ready to tie the tulle on -keep layering thru the wholes until its as fluffy as you like -HOpe that helps
Quote:
Originally Posted by creative1 View Post
Okay, I have purchased a few tutorials, did google searches and read just about every post on here that I could find on this subject and I am now completely EXHAUSTED with trying to figure out how line the crochet tutu tops. Believe me I have tried everything that my little brain could think of. I tried the suggestion of doubling them and that didn't seem to work because when I went to handsew the top of the two together it didn't allow as much stretch as it did before--meaning it didn't have as much stretch as only having one top, plus I hate having to use two of my crochet headbands for one tutu (I know it may seem insignificant but those little things can end up costing especially since I am using the large 8.5" crochet headbands and you may remember from one of my other posts that I was having problems with the company that I had been buying them from ). I also tried machine sewing a knit lining (so that it would still have the stretch quality) into the crochet headband and let me say first that I know NOTHING about sewing, as a matter of fact, I had to learn how to turn the sewing machine on, let alone learn how to sew a stitch to even be able to sew the lining on. And that didn't work EITHER! I was able to get the lining stitched on, but I still didn't have the same amount of stretch (I tried sewing just the top of the lining to the top of the crochet headband, and then tried just about every alternative I could try ruining many of my small headbands, because I didn't want to use all my good large headbands, without any success). UGGGH!!!!!! PLEASE SOMEONE TELL ME HOW TO EITHER LINE THE CROCHET TUTU TOPS or PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE TELL ME WHAT OTHER ALTERNATIVES I COULD USE (other than doubling the headbands) SO THAT THE TUTUS WON'T BE SEE-THROUGH. I feel like I am going to have a melt-down any moment now...
Old 09-27-2011, 09:27

Oh i forgot to answer your important question,
Lining the crochet is tough for stretch- spandex work but i would just put a tank top underneath before wearing
Even a tube top could work
Old 09-27-2011, 10:57

I just purchases my first set of Tutu top headbands. So I havn't tried this yet. But why would you have to sew two together? One isn't wide enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlybaby View Post
no no -not one on top of each other -side by side take a 6" crochet band -cut in down the middle-- take the 2nd one and do the same --now stitch it together to make it super long --then stitch the 2 ends so you have a very WIDE band -not high--I would send you pics if thats easier? --once you sew them all extra thread your ready to tie the tulle on -keep layering thru the wholes until its as fluffy as you like -HOpe that helps
Old 09-27-2011, 11:07

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR COMING TO THE RESCUE!!! OOOOOH! I think I understand now! What I was doing was putting one crochet headband INSIDE another crochet headband (without cutting them) to double layer them. I then knew that I would use the bottom edge of the double layered headbands for the tulle, but when I tried to stitch the top of the headbands together so that they wouldn't be loose along the TOP edge (and so it would no longer be TWO separate headbands, but now ONE single piece), it lost the stretch. And then I came across this etsy store http://www.etsy.com/listing/55379725...h-added-with-a in looking for tutorials where she said that her crochet tops were lined and I wondered HOW IN THE WORLD she was doing it with just ONE crochet headband and then lining them! (whoever she is she is rocking out some seriously breathtaking stuff!). But I understand much better from what you said, that I have to use TWO tutu tops and cut them in the middle (I assume down the side seam) and then stitch the side edge of each one together (meaning to each other). I guess, I would then sew on the lining that I was going to put in, before sewing up the final side seam (oh my goodness this is complicated to try to write! no wonder I was CONFUSED! ) WHEW!!! THANKS AGAIN, YOU'RE SUCH A SWEETHEART for helping me in this CRISIS! LOL! I DEFINITELY trust your advice and judgment because that is one SUPER FABULOUS tutu in your avatar/profile pic! LOVE IT!
Old 09-27-2011, 11:28

OH, BUT WAIT A MINUTE...in my excitement that someone finally solved the mystery for me about lining the tutu tops and explained how to make them wider for the stretch, I forgot that I was trying to figure out how to line only ONE crochet headband so that I wouldn't have to use TWO. Oh well, I guess it can't be done! Now to decide whether to just use one crochet headband top and let the customers decide whether or not they want to put a tank top or something else under it so that it won't be see-through (that would allow me to conserve on tops) or do I want to break down and cut TWO of my PRECIOUS tops in order to make just one tutu so that I can offer lined tutus (OH, DECISIONS, DECISIONS, DECISIONS!)...
Old 09-27-2011, 11:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative1 View Post
OH, BUT WAIT A MINUTE...in my excitement that someone finally solved the mystery for me about lining the tutu tops and explained how to make them wider for the stretch, I forgot that I was trying to figure out how to line only ONE crochet headband so that I wouldn't have to use TWO. Oh well, I guess it can't be done! Now to decide whether to just use one crochet headband top and let the customers decide whether or not they want to put a tank top or something else under it so that it won't be see-through (that would allow me to conserve on tops) or do I want to break down and cut TWO of my PRECIOUS tops in order to make just one tutu so that I can offer lined tutus (OH, DECISIONS, DECISIONS, DECISIONS!)...
Use 2 and raise your prices
Old 09-27-2011, 11:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krysia View Post
Use 2 and raise your prices
BINGO! Now that sounds like a winner! (at least doing that won't make it so hard to part with those hard to come by large tops!)
Old 09-28-2011, 08:06

Thanks! I use two because i find one is ok for o- 12 mos ans two sewn will fit at least 5-6T alot of people use only one and thats fine too!
Good luck im glad you figured it out they are fun to design once you get the hang of it
Old 09-28-2011, 01:24

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE! It certainly has pointed me in the right direction to jump right in (or at least get back on the saddle after being thrown off like I had been before!)
Sponsored Links