new products--lined 30mm snap clips--printed grosgrain ribbon
Offray Dr. Seuss Craft Ribbon: 18 Feet 7/8 Inch Satin Fabric Craft Ribbon For Gift Package Wrapping,Hairbow Clips,Sewing,Wedding,Scrapbook,Boy Girl Baby Shower-(2x3yd Thing One Thing Two New Fish)
New products--paper bow cards
New product--clear shopping bags
New products--7/8' peace sign ribbon
Hipgirl 36 Yards 1/8" Satin Fabric Ribbon Set, Double Face For Gift Package Wrapping, Double Bar Barrette Clip Making, Crafting, Sewing, Wedding Decor, Boy Girl Baby Shower-(18x2yd Boutique Ribbons)
new products--gymbo dot grosgrain mini bows-diy
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/20pc-korker-ribbon-combo.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 09-17-2011, 09:20

Default Key Fob Makers - sharing a few tips

Hiya,

I've been going a little key fob crazy the last few days, and learned a few things:

1) Invisible/monofilament thread is the best!! You don't have to switch out thread with each color, and "minute variations" in the stitching doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. Colored thread is prettier, but not worth the hassle.

2) Use Denim/Jeans needle. I've tried a regular needle, and it ALWAYS breaks my thread, or doesn't pick up the bobbin thread.

3) Use 5/8 Heat n Bond, not 7/8. Not all ribbons are created equal, and I don't know how many times I had to cut a sliver off my heat and bond before "bonding". Even using it on true 7/8 ribbon is a tight fit.

4) To save a little bit, you can cut your Heat n Bond to 9" instead of 10", but center it on the back of your ribbon. Part of the ribbon is concealed in the hardware, so 1/2" on each side will be clamped and not seen.

5) If your heat n' bond is hanging over the side edge of your ribbon, carefully cut off the excess BEFORE you peel off the paper. Careful not to cut off the finished edge of the ribbon. If you leave it on, it WILL show up on the right side of your key fob.

6) Oh, and I've used lots of different ribbon from 3 places...HG, RH, and ohmyribbonsandbows (Cdn sister site of RABOM), and if you want to know which ones melt and which ones don't, please PM me I've tried flipping over the webbing with the ribbon on the bottom, as someone suggested, but it doesn't work, so I'm just staying away from melting ribbon

7) If you mess up while clamping the hardware, you CAN take it off. If you clamp your pliers on the "square" part, and gently bend your webbing, forming a semi-circle with your webbing and your pliers, it will slightly pull open one side of the hardware, just enough so that you can pull it out.

Hope that helps someone
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif
Old 09-17-2011, 09:26

Default Re: Key Fob Makers - sharing a few tips

great tips, thanks for taking the time to put this list together!
Old 09-17-2011, 09:53

You should also sew both ends together before putting on the hardware. Also if you have good sewing skills I would skip the heat n bond all together. I make mine with fabric and ribbon. I use to use heat n bond for the fabric since it's harder than the ribbon but now I can do without....it saves a lot of time. I usually sew about 30 at a time so my sewing is pretty accurate. Agree with the invisible 100%...only thing I have ever used for fobs.
Yvonne
Old 05-04-2012, 12:47

I know this is an old thread, but I have a question. I ordered POLYPROPYLENE WEBBING from a site and like it, though it doesn't seem stiff (which is fine). What's the difference between this and cotton webbing (ease of use in machine, durability over time, etc.). The first seems less expensive. Do you have a preference and why? TIA
Old 05-04-2012, 08:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woobie View Post
I know this is an old thread, but I have a question. I ordered POLYPROPYLENE WEBBING from a site and like it, though it doesn't seem stiff (which is fine). What's the difference between this and cotton webbing (ease of use in machine, durability over time, etc.). The first seems less expensive. Do you have a preference and why? TIA
Honestly, I really have no idea about the difference.

Most of the tutorials I've seen, advise to use Cotton Webbing
Old 04-23-2013, 05:03

In my experience (a whole 3) if your using the heat and bond it actually will adhere to the cotton webbing. The other does not and came off before I could sew it.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:46

Cotton is softer than poly webbing. The poly feels cheap (cuz it is) and is scratchy. You get what you pay for.

Also, the Heat and Bond is unnecessary. You're going to be sewing it; that's plenty.

The threads breaking sounds like a machine problem, not a needle issue.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyxia View Post
Hiya,

I've been going a little key fob crazy the last few days, and learned a few things:

1) Invisible/monofilament thread is the best!! You don't have to switch out thread with each color, and "minute variations" in the stitching doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. Colored thread is prettier, but not worth the hassle.

2) Use Denim/Jeans needle. I've tried a regular needle, and it ALWAYS breaks my thread, or doesn't pick up the bobbin thread.

3) Use 5/8 Heat n Bond, not 7/8. Not all ribbons are created equal, and I don't know how many times I had to cut a sliver off my heat and bond before "bonding". Even using it on true 7/8 ribbon is a tight fit.

4) To save a little bit, you can cut your Heat n Bond to 9" instead of 10", but center it on the back of your ribbon. Part of the ribbon is concealed in the hardware, so 1/2" on each side will be clamped and not seen.

5) If your heat n' bond is hanging over the side edge of your ribbon, carefully cut off the excess BEFORE you peel off the paper. Careful not to cut off the finished edge of the ribbon. If you leave it on, it WILL show up on the right side of your key fob.

6) Oh, and I've used lots of different ribbon from 3 places...HG, RH, and ohmyribbonsandbows (Cdn sister site of RABOM), and if you want to know which ones melt and which ones don't, please PM me I've tried flipping over the webbing with the ribbon on the bottom, as someone suggested, but it doesn't work, so I'm just staying away from melting ribbon

7) If you mess up while clamping the hardware, you CAN take it off. If you clamp your pliers on the "square" part, and gently bend your webbing, forming a semi-circle with your webbing and your pliers, it will slightly pull open one side of the hardware, just enough so that you can pull it out.

Hope that helps someone
amy- what kind of webbing do you use? i have polypropylene and i worry that it is going to tear out of the key fob hardware. do you have suggestions for that? thanks!
Old 10-02-2013, 10:36

I used cotton webbing, because I didn't even know that Poly webbing existed

Also, the only reason I used heat and bond, was that it stayed put while I sewed it

I don't feel that heat and bond along is good enough, so since I know how to sew, I did it anyways, for extra security