ribbon and bows and free hairbow instructions

http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/peony-ad.gif
7-8 zebra and leopard grosgrain ribbon
New product--7/8' sister ribbon
Mini Pinwheel Bows

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 09-15-2011, 05:18

Default New to Tutus - Help with Bustle Style

Hi there!

I'm new to tutus and want to make one for my daughter's halloween costume (will be my first!). I've purchased several tutorials and understand what I need to do, but my question is this:

If I want to make a bustle style, would I simply do a 3 layer using varying lengths (with maybe some short bits tied on like a strawberry style) in back? Is it that simple?

I think I understand how these things can get addictive! I'm not planning to ever sell them, but can see myself making them as gifts, donate some to DD's school auction, and basing years and years of halloween costumes around the tutu, lol.

In fact, my best friend's daughter has decided she will also be a peacock, and has asked me to make her one too, so I'm planning to make a whole costume and send it for her birthday gift (bday is early Nov) - and I want to make matching tutu-totes as halloween bags

Which reminds me - I can't sew to save my life. I wonder if the tote bag can be adapted to be made with glue and maybe some hand stitches as extra security? I was thinking maybe I could make a tiny no-sew tutu in the usual way, then glue it to the tote bag, add some holding stitches, then glue feather boa or ribbon over the edge. But seems that would be too thick/bulky. Hmmmm, ideas?

TIA!

Last edited by EricaD; 09-15-2011 at 05:55.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2011, 11:45

Default Re: New to Tutus

im not sure about your first question, cant get my head around what you are asking.

but about your second question- maybe you could stich together the bottom of a crochet top and then just tie on a bunch of strips of tully just like if you were making a tutu using the crochet headband. and sew on something like a matching ribbon for the handles? it might look small when you are making it but things sure are stretchy so the more candy thats in it the bigger it will be hahahaha
Old 09-16-2011, 03:07

Well, I have a photo of the style I want to mimic, but the darn forum won't let me post the pic or the link...
Old 09-16-2011, 03:09

Trying again to attach the inspiration pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg --90000--81739_product_1696507964_thumb_large.jpg (36.8 KB, 79 views)
Old 09-16-2011, 03:12

Oh, ACK! It worked! So this is the tutu style I want to make, short in front and a longer multi-length bustle style in the back. I THINK I would just make a 2 layer tutu and maybe go to 3 layers in the back, using longer pieces for the bottom layer, then graduating them for the outer layers with some short pieces tied on and sticking up?
Old 09-16-2011, 03:38

oh wow that is beautiful!
Old 09-18-2011, 01:14

I made my first tutu! I think it turned out cute! Not exactly like the inspiration piece, but will make a great peacock and DD loves it!

For the life of me I can't figure out how some tutus look so bright and opaque. I stuffed as much tulle as I possibly could onto this tutu, and it's still pretty sheer and the colors not nearly as vibrant as others I've seen. But that's ok - I think it's super cute!

Next time, I may do more color blocking - this will boost the vibrancy I think.

PS - obviously, DD won't be wearing it over her clothes like this. I just wanted to snap some fast pics to send my girlfriend, since I'm making another one for her daughter's costume too. I need to spray it with static stuff too - it's a bit flyaway at the moment, lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0106.jpg (28.8 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0107.jpg (29.7 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0108.jpg (30.0 KB, 56 views)
Old 10-02-2011, 08:04

Great job! It looks awesome!
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.