http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/lined-alligator-clips-with-teeth.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/7-8-rainbow-chevron-ribbon.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/1-25-satin-DIY-mini-bow-combo-1.jpg
new product--crochet hat

1.5' 7/8' Zebra New Colors

New products--peony new colors

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 12-12-2011, 09:40

Default Re: How did you learn to make Bows?

I attended a class and learned to make the traditional bow. I have been making and selling at craft shows for 5 or 6 years. I didn't know about twisted boutique bows until I found this site and now I want to learn to make them so bad. I have watched video's over and over and practiced until I wore the ribbon out but I just can't get the hang of it. I have made some stacked bows and I practiced on an OTT bow that looks ok for the first time. I have a picture of it and some of my stacked bows on here.

www.MarcooBoutique.etsy.com
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
Old 12-25-2011, 08:51

I was playing on youtube and came across some videos, watched them and got started that way. I sew and do a lot of crafts and am just playing at bows for fun. This site is a god-send with all the information available!!
Old 12-27-2011, 04:09

It started with me looking on youtube for instructions on making a bow topper for my Christmas tree (dec/2010). That led to youtube videos on hair bows, then google searches that led to this website. I had 2 girls(at the time, now 3) and 3 nieces and most of my friends have girls so I thought I should give it a try and I loved it. Still learning but what I've discovered with bows there will always be something new to learn/try.

I haven't been doing as much lately due to just having a baby but the itch is coming back and I'm ready to get started again.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:08

I worked at a childcare center and an infant in my room had beautiful but simple bows that her mother made her. I simply took one of her bows apart one day and figured it out from there. At that time I was only making bows for my dog and it has grown to making them and attending over 15 craft shows a year.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:55

Quote:
I worked at a childcare center and an infant in my room had beautiful but simple bows that her mother made her. I simply took one of her bows apart one day and figured it out from there.

What did the Mom say about the bow being taken apart?

That rubbed me the wrong way, sorry had to ask.

Reminds me of the story of an preschool teacher who would always look at the child's clothing tags and "comment" on the brands, until one day the father wrote "mind your own business" on one of the tags, she never looked at the child"s tags again
Old 12-27-2011, 06:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by my6girlz View Post

Reminds me of the story of an preschool teacher who would always look at the child's clothing tags and "comment" on the brands, until one day the father wrote "mind your own business" on one of the tags, she never looked at the child"s tags again
I was going to ask the same thing!

But to answer the question. It started off as a hobby and pretty much still is a hobby. My daughter was starting preschool and I could not find bow to match her uniform. I found this site and the rest is history. I too have worn out rolls of ribbon in attempt to make the perfect bow but IMO it's worth it.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by my6girlz View Post

Oh no it was nothing like that. I was and still am great friends with the family. The mother knew and the bow was put right back together. She was very okay with it because she only made simple bows and was very excited to see the different bows I have began to make. We began sharing idea's and ribbons. I would make the sculpted bows for her daughter and when she got old enough I would get her good deals on headbands so she could make those.
So all in all it was a great thing, nothing bad.
Sponsored Links