http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/mini-pinwheel-bow-snap-clips-22pc.jpg
New product--3' everyday (pinwheel) hair bow/hairbow clips

New products--grosgrain ribbon mini bows
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/peony-hair-flower-clips-red-ad.jpg
New product--Silk Geraniums

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 09-13-2011, 12:41

Default getting started

Im new to making hair bows, etc but Im about to attempt to make some for my daughter. Anyone have advice or tips on just starting out? Thanks =)
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:35

Default Re: getting started

read and search the forum and the web. there are dozens and dozens of free tutorials and websites to look at. a good one to start with is this
http://www.girlythingsbows.com/
Old 09-13-2011, 02:20

there are plenty of tips everywhere on HG! Just use the search box ....I've asked a many of question on things and people always point me to search box. Somewhere on here is a post about nothing but tips for everyone and ideas.....You just have to dig put a keyword like twisted boutique in the search or whatever it is you are trying to make something trust me will come up...Also, before you buy any instructions there are tons online for free...also try youtube you can find tutorials on there as well

hth

EDee
Old 09-13-2011, 02:54

My best advice is to start simple and work your way up! Good Luck and Have Fun!

Proud Army Wife and Momma to 6 wonderful Kids....

Follow me as I indulge in my crafting and pinterest addictions.....
http://confessionsofapinner.blogspot.com/

Wholesale Felties available here, www.facebook.com/owlalwayslovefelties
Old 09-23-2011, 11:51

Thanks! I've been making hair clippies, seems like most of the instructions I like though I either dont have the right color or the right width lol. I bet you ladies have tons of ribbon! =)
Old 09-24-2011, 11:17

Here you go, hun! This should help you a little. If you are just starting on bows I would learn how to make a basic boutique bow first before you venture out to twisted. Once you have that mastered it will be a lot easier for you to grasp the other learning curves. As for having tons of ribbon.....yes. Dh and I have been discussing having a portable building brought out to our place so I can have my own place to store all of my bins and have a place to work and leave everything out for easy reach. I gave up my office for our last baby to have her own room. No complaints but I do need a lot more room. Poor thing has never set foot in her walk in closet because my bins fill up most of it. I have tapered down on my buys (quanity wise) and have done some destashes but once you get addicted to this you cant help but want everything you see.
http://hipgirlclips.com/forums/how-m...bies-here.html

Last edited by ronnie; 09-24-2011 at 11:22.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:41

Yes what they said, I'm fairly new as well but start with the clip that you want your daughter to have such as alligator single prong, alligator double prong (both are also called clippies), the snap that opens wide and has a pench to open mechanism, a metal snap clip that opens when you press the center. Once you have picked that choose whter or not you want to line your clip (lining your clip makes it look professional) then decide on whter you want non slip grip inside to assist the bow in staying in the hair. Lining your clip can be done with hot glue (can be messy) or DST=double sided tape...now you should look into the best one that works well for you, there was a post on here about good DST. And non slip can be applied the same way. The simples bow in my opinion to kae is a tuxedo bow on a lined clippie. And then explore from there. These things alone will start you out with enough supplies to get you addicted, lol. Clips, hot glue, DST, and Ribbon. All of these items can be found at your local walmart, michaels, hobby lobby, joann's, craft store, etc. Once you start making for others I would suggest changing who you purchase your supplies from. HTH= Hope this helps
Old 09-24-2011, 12:48

Start out with easy bows and work your way up. I did alot of searching and reading when I first started. Still do even now. There are alot of info online and lots of videos on you tube.

Old 09-24-2011, 02:25

Yeah I def need to practice & research more but I really enjoy making them and glad I found this site, thanks to everyone for the tips! I've mostly done a few hair clippies, and a simple bow that Im trying to perfect before moving on to the more advance ones. I also just play around with ribbon alot and figure some things out that way =)
Old 09-25-2011, 10:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannan87 View Post
Yeah I def need to practice & research more but I really enjoy making them and glad I found this site, thanks to everyone for the tips! I've mostly done a few hair clippies, and a simple bow that Im trying to perfect before moving on to the more advance ones. I also just play around with ribbon alot and figure some things out that way =)
Thats been my faviorate method When I started (a little over a year ago) I dragged my feet getting a wood burning tool, but it really has made life so much easier now that I can measure, cut and seal all in one step
Sponsored Links