key fob hardware marabou cherry-blossom-silk-hair-flower 3/8" double ruffle ribbon free tutorial-bottle caps felt circle http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/3in-spike-18pc-set.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 09-10-2011, 12:35

Default Re: What is wrong with my bows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by missdana1105 View Post
I think you should try and find something unique to make you stand out. Not all bow makers need to fit the same cookie cutter form you know? Usually if something looks uneven/loopsided in a picture it is, I've made plenty of bows in my time that I thought looked great until I take the pictures.

One tip I have unless I am selling clippies I don't put a back on the bow before I take a picture, it helps it lay flat plus gives you the option to use a different clip/barrette if requested.

PICTURES PICTURE PICTURES are sooo important when someone is buying something online. Like Cubetta said they cant touch it and feel.

great advice..I totally love the take pics b4 they are clipped that way that picture is better unless it is modeled by a QT

Old 09-10-2011, 12:39

I dont know if this is just me and being tired but there clips look like you lined them upside down

http://www.etsy.com/listing/78351545...lor-dots-clips
Old 09-10-2011, 01:13

Kossy Bottom- I think you are right!
OP, don't get discouraged because etsy isn't producing HUGE profits. I had horrible luck with etsy but my business does well enough that I was able to quit my job recently and ONLY make bows. I use facebook and I have an online shop on my FB page where people can pay using paypal. That's been awesome for me! I do several craft shows a year too. Etsy isn't for everyone. I was not impressed with it... The etsy market is VERY saturated with other bow makers. It takes time to get established on there and you have to be 100% on top of your game in every way, bow making, picture taking, being descriptive or having an awesome way of telling people about the product, etc. I got discouraged. It was hard for me to know that I was spending more time on my etsy listings and making basically nothing a-then I turn around and spend a fraction of that time on my FB page and I had tons of sales. So I just let my etsy listings expire. I also hate the "showcases" that they do. I bought them once or twice and it did nothing for me. But it's been a year or so since I first started Etsy so I am hoping that I will have some free time to try it again before Christmas! I would LOVE to try again. So many people have good luck with it! Chin up and be patient!
Old 09-10-2011, 09:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozzy bottoms View Post
I dont know if this is just me and being tired but there clips look like you lined them upside down

http://www.etsy.com/listing/78351545...lor-dots-clips

After I read this, I went to check on some bows and clips I purchased from a bow maker two years ago from Etsy and also compared to some commercial bows from Walmart. I am totally confused now! I bought a PDF instruction book a year ago about how to make bows and I don't see a clear explanation about how to line up alligator clips either. I mean it doesn't tell which should be the back or the front. I also watched many videos on you tube ( I will watch them again today).

Well, the bows I got from the other crafter are lined up completeley and she glue up the front to the clip (felt clip). The ones from Walmart are flat on both sides, so I can't use those as an example. I always thought I should line up the "flat" side so that when the girl is wearing the clip people would see a flat clip.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by missdana1105 View Post
I think you should try and find something unique to make you stand out. Not all bow makers need to fit the same cookie cutter form you know? Usually if something looks uneven/loopsided in a picture it is, I've made plenty of bows in my time that I thought looked great until I take the pictures.

One tip I have unless I am selling clippies I don't put a back on the bow before I take a picture, it helps it lay flat plus gives you the option to use a different clip/barrette if requested.

PICTURES PICTURE PICTURES are sooo important when someone is buying something online. Like Cubetta said they cant touch it and feel.
I thought about not putting the clip in the bows also before you mentioned it. The bows look a lot better when they are not "finished" but then I have another question: With those big stacked bows with bottlecaps or resin centers; if you leave then unfinished before taking the picture... I mean if you don't attached the bow to the clip with a ribbon and glue, then how do you attach your bows? Do you just line up an alligator clip and glue the back of clip to the bow? I saw this method on some Hair Hardware videos but I thought the bows might not be secured.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:25

I think they look good. your layered bows look a little to over done with the pinwheel type bow in the center. Your others are pretty basic. But remember there are tons of people on Etsy and a lot of competition. Good luck also check out the figure 8 its simple as it can be and will cut down of the bulkyness of your layered bows.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizAnnsbows View Post
After I read this, I went to check on some bows and clips I purchased from a bow maker two years ago from Etsy and also compared to some commercial bows from Walmart. I am totally confused now! I bought a PDF instruction book a year ago about how to make bows and I don't see a clear explanation about how to line up alligator clips either. I mean it doesn't tell which should be the back or the front. I also watched many videos on you tube ( I will watch them again today).

Well, the bows I got from the other crafter are lined up completeley and she glue up the front to the clip (felt clip). The ones from Walmart are flat on both sides, so I can't use those as an example. I always thought I should line up the "flat" side so that when the girl is wearing the clip people would see a flat clip.
They way you line clips is one of those preference things. Some people prefer the flat part touching the head and other think that "curved" part should touch the head as it shapes the head better. I have tried them both and to be honest I can't really tell the difference.

I think on your bows you just need to practice on making you angles a little more 90 degree-ish. When all your done with your last loop the center should look like a tall skinny "X" for a twisted boutique look or a regular "X' for a boutique style. It should never look like a short fat "x". If you are confused PM me and I will show you.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:21

I just ordered the no bow no go Tutorial and template. Hopefully that will help. While I wait for the templates to be shipped I will work on some felt clips and mini clips. I know I have a lot to practice!
Old 09-10-2011, 09:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizAnnsbows View Post
I just ordered the no bow no go Tutorial and template. Hopefully that will help. While I wait for the templates to be shipped I will work on some felt clips and mini clips. I know I have a lot to practice!
I personally never had luck free-handing my bows. I actually made all of my own templates out of cardboard! I have heard wonderful things about No Bow No Go. I have not had any luck with Etsy, either! If you are on Facebook, I would suggest starting a page on there. It is incredible how friends of friends just kind of find you! There are also many pages on FB who run multi-page auctions so you can try and build up your fan base. Although I have a small number of "likes" I keep pretty busy with my "regulars."

Hang in there!! Don't give up!!
Old 09-10-2011, 11:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by micmac68 View Post
I personally never had luck free-handing my bows. I actually made all of my own templates out of cardboard! I have heard wonderful things about No Bow No Go. I have not had any luck with Etsy, either! If you are on Facebook, I would suggest starting a page on there. It is incredible how friends of friends just kind of find you! There are also many pages on FB who run multi-page auctions so you can try and build up your fan base. Although I have a small number of "likes" I keep pretty busy with my "regulars."

Hang in there!! Don't give up!!
I am familiar with facebook but I am afraid about doing business there. I mean, I have hear so many stories about scams that I am not sure it I would feel safe opening a Facebook page exclusively to sell my bows. I will continue using Etsy and if by December it doesn't move on then I will consider Facebook.

I do know that with Etsy you have to add items at least every week.
Sponsored Links