New product--2.5' Mini Korker Bows
Hip girl boutique 50mm grosgrain ribbon wrapped snap clips for baby girl, toddler, infant, newborn, adult, women, school http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/Shabby-frayed-chiffon-flowers-turq.JPG
new products--dippin dots mini pinwheel bow
hip girl boutique christmas grosgrain satin ribbon collection for holidays

HipGirl Boutique Girls Women 6" Jumbo Large Cheer Bow Elastic Hair Tie Ponytail Holder for High School College Cheerleading (10pc Assorted Solids)

HipGirl 25pc Hair Bow Clips Headbands Gift Basket: Grosgrain Korker Ribbon Alligator Clips + Crochet, Ribbon Wrapped Headbans, For Girls Babies Teens Kids Toddlers Adults. For Pigtails, Ponytails

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 08-22-2011, 09:39

Default a few tutu questions!

hey mamas!! this is my first post im relatively new to tutu making and im sending my first tester for an awesome online store!!! and i have a few questions i was hoping someone could help out with and give me some ideas.

this tutu that im sending out is my first bigger waist and it was too big for the roll of paper towels. i ended up using 2 alligator clips to gather the excess elastic so it was smaller and fit the paper towels but im looking for some ideas of other items. i know some mamas use their thigh but im not comfortable doing that, very well could be because im 8 months preggo hahaha, and i dont have a dress form. i looked through my kitchen and downstairs looking for other things to use and couldnt come up with anything. so what else do you use? being so preggo and uncomfortable, the best place for me when i work on the tutus is on the couch, not sure if that makes a difference in suggestions.

my other question is how many layers do you usually do? i started right from the begining using 2 layers. i use the square knot and 2 strips at a time so its a double layer. just curios what others usually do.

thanks mamas
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2011, 12:06

Default Re: a few tutu questions!

I'm 9 months pregnant!! (Due this Friday!!) Congrats to you!
I still use my thigh.....so I can't really help you there. I remember reading once that a girl used a pot (for the stove). Maybe that would work for you. And like you, I always use 2 layers (2 strips) at a time. 1 never looks full enough, and if I'm charging $20-$30 per tutu, then i think people should be getting something that looks better than the crappy store bought kind lol.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:26

there are hundreds of threads here with tutu suggestions...as a newbie, you might want to try searching and reading through several before jumping in and asking a bunch of questions...just a suggestion...and welcome to the board!!
Old 08-22-2011, 12:38

I use books! LOL! It works awesome. I've done one on my thigh once and didn't care for it. I have a ton of books -- and as a Chemistry grad student, a ton of HUGE textbooks that are great for larger sizes.

I hate the larger knots that more strips give so I only use one strip at a time and I use bolt tulle and cut mine 4" wide. I just tie them close to together and then go in and fill in after I'm done. Here's an example of one, I get them fairly full too with that method.
(I've made this tutu 7 times and while I loved it the first couple of times, I'm tired of making it, LOL!!! But people LOVE IT)

Good luck and welcome!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Butterfly.jpg (46.3 KB, 111 views)
Old 08-22-2011, 12:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by TutusforYOU View Post
I use books! LOL! It works awesome. I've done one on my thigh once and didn't care for it. I have a ton of books -- and as a Chemistry grad student, a ton of HUGE textbooks that are great for larger sizes.

I hate the larger knots that more strips give so I only use one strip at a time and I use bolt tulle and cut mine 4" wide. I just tie them close to together and then go in and fill in after I'm done. Here's an example of one, I get them fairly full too with that method.
(I've made this tutu 7 times and while I loved it the first couple of times, I'm tired of making it, LOL!!! But people LOVE IT)

Good luck and welcome!
thanks! books are a great idea!!! and the first tutu i ever made was the same colors
Old 08-22-2011, 12:47

thanks! i did a search and read through several pages and couldnt find what i was looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snazzy teez View Post
there are hundreds of threads here with tutu suggestions...as a newbie, you might want to try searching and reading through several before jumping in and asking a bunch of questions...just a suggestion...and welcome to the board!!
Old 08-22-2011, 02:43

I do remember seeing somewhere a tut that showed using a small priority mail box (the square one)....but cant remember where i saw it, somewhere on google.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aelittleb View Post
thanks! i did a search and read through several pages and couldnt find what i was looking for.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TutusforYOU View Post

Good luck and welcome!
good idea! (books and doing the 1 knot alternative)
Old 08-23-2011, 12:52

I've made what feels like a billion tutus now and I use the aligator clips to hold it tight to my paper towel rolls, I never have liked the leg thing. The clips have never really bothered me, I do prefer to use the clips with teeth for a little bit better grip so they don't slide off. HTH
Old 08-23-2011, 02:02

I always use my thigh unless I'm using the mannequin.