http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/7-8-50yd-grosgrain-animal-print-combo-103114.jpg
New product--1' circle punch/paper shaper for bottle cap picture
New products--Ribbon wrapped 50mm snap clips
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/120pc-2.5-korker-assorted-.JPG

turtle embellishments--ribbon sculpture

skull rockabilly grosgrain ribbon

braided headband base

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 08-16-2011, 03:16

Default How to get started!

Hi Everyone!! I am VERY new to bow making. I have been on this board several times over the last few weeks and have done a lot of browsing at everyone's creations. I am continually amazed at all of the talent and creativity that there is on this site. I am good with picking 1 color ribbon and making a bow. I have been practicing doing that. (I hope that it comes with time!!) But once you get past making the standard bow, where do you go from there? How do you match up ribbon? Do you buy a bunch of ribbon and then put them together? Do you need to have "an eye"?

I am sure that most of you order your ribbon in large quantities and have large stock piles. At this point, I am just making bows for my girls. I have no idea if I am going to make this into a business. Should I start by building a stockpile or ribbon and embellishments? I am afraid that I am going to buy things that I would never use.

I have read on here about people being upset about other people copying their work. I get it and feel that right now if I posted a picture of a bow that I made, it would look just like someone else's.

And advise or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!
Corrin
Sponsored Links

Old 08-16-2011, 03:43

Default Re: How to get started!

If you are not planning on this being a business then I wouldn't suggest buying the larger quanities or ribbon just yet. Just buy what you will use.

As far as the colors, I mainly make bows to match my daughters clothing. I love mixing patterns and colors together. Once you get to making more and more bows you will get the hang of it. It will come natural!

I don't suggest copying someones design but it doesn't hurt to get color inspiration.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:53

etsy.com has great tutorials on bow making I love the instructions from birdsongbows and tiarasnbows.I buy my ribbon from The Ribbon Retreat they have mix packs of ribbons for a good price.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:38

Start with Free instructions, they are everywhere! :-) buy what you can right now and just use it as practice. practice practice and practice more. Also you might want to purchase a few tutorials. Just keep browsing here what you may have a question on it might already have been answered so use the SEARCH button it is your friend! OH and ideas and inspirations come naturally
Old 08-17-2011, 11:51

I'd suggest you start with free tutorials online b/c there are so many. You Tube can be a big help too. You can get some rolls of grograin ribbon at local craft stores (some sell Offray which is a good brand). If you have left overs, then it shouldn't be too much. Plan for bows that match your girl(s) clothes and go from there. Have fun with it and remember, it is addicting!
Old 08-17-2011, 11:55

I only make bows for my daughter and the for sale on here has helped me a lot. You can get grab bags of ribbon, a yard of ribbon or just a few of something without having to buy huge quantities. A lot of ladies on here will destash ribbon in 1 yard increments. That's perfect for me.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:21

Make what appeals to you. I agree about matching to your girls clothing and utilizing what is free on the web. You will learn so much by doing. I haven't been doing this very long either but inspiration comes each time I make something. So dig in and make something! You may be shocked by where this takes you - it's addicting.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:00

Thanks ladies!! You have all given me a TON to think about and some places to start. I am going to start with my DD's closets...I really appreciate all of the pointers. Everyone seems so helpful on this board. I guess that we have all started in the same place. Thanks again!
Old 08-17-2011, 07:07

the only down side is its addicting i only do bows for my kids but have a stock pile already big hobby thanks ladies for all your help
Old 08-17-2011, 07:57

JUSTDAISY on here has a great tutorial! very easy to follow and worth money. When i first started over 2 yrs ago.. WOW did i go bizerk on ribbon... i bought from here there and everywhere.. i would say stick to buying your solids from one place that way you can always have the same colors. one company's pink will be slightly off. good sites to buy the solid grosgrain is ribbons and bows oh my, ribbon retreat, hairbowcenter,im sure a few others.. they all good prices on ribbon and its all by 5 yards. perfect for your little ones. once u wan to get in to prints those companies also have really cute ones.. also etsy girls offer unique prints at a higher price.. but usually u cant find those prints elsewhere especially if they print them themselves. buy what you need for the moment. For instance halloween is comming up so puchase specifics that you would buy for those bows. as for embelshments. those companies listed above also sell flatback resin. or you can always join a group buy and buy just what u need. downside of that is risk and wait time. good luck with everything : )

Marcie Robles
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif