5/8" polka dot grosgrain ribbon
Hip Girl Boutique It's a girl grosgrain satin ribbon collection
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/200pc-crochet-headband-combo.jpg

hip girl boutique grosgrain mini bow tie single prong alligator hair bow clips for baby infant new born women girl adult

http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/hair-bow-holder-craft-show-display-180.jpg
New products--Crochet headbands

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 08-11-2011, 03:05

Default Questions regarding cheer bows

This year I am a sponsor to two school cheer squads and this will be the first year that bows were not purchased with uniforms, but rather the decision on which bows to be worn has been left up to the sponsors. I thought this would be a great opportunity for me to begin to destash the huge ribbon supply I will begin selling in upcoming months. The only problem is, I am not a cheer bow maker . I have the NBNG instructions, which are AWESOME, but I still have several questions. Years ago when I made a set, they turned out extremely stiff and I understand for competitions this is the way that many coaches prefer them. However, my daughter's school squads consist of 1 st, 2nd & 4th graders. I went to Joanns this morning and purchased some spandex, mystique an sequined fabrics (have read the forum posts ) to try out, but I am wondering if there is a way to layer these and/or ribbons together without the stiffness factor?? If using E600 do you run this along the edges of the ribbons? If using HNB lite, do you do this on the fabrics & ribbons? And lastly.....I read posts about using vinyl???? What type of vinyl is this and when would using this be recommended? And by searching the forum and seeing all of your amazing cheer bows....it is highly likely at the rate I'm going that one of you will be hearing from me with an order . Thank you so much in advance for any advice/tips and taking the time to read the post!!!
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-300.jpg
Old 08-11-2011, 06:10

Default Re: Questions regarding cheer bows

double sided tape works great =)
Old 08-12-2011, 08:59

Also try the scrapbooking adhesive that you roll on
Old 08-12-2011, 09:14

Try using heat bond lite. It is stiff but is much easier to work with than heat bond ultra.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:31

Cheer bows should be stiff, regardless of the child's age, the bigger, straighter higher the bow the better! For layering ribbon you can use double sided filet tape, althought I still mainly use HNB lite. Vinyl is iron on vinyl by the same makers of the HNB. That is mainly used for fabrics and you fuse that to the fabric and then glue it to the ribbon. I personally don't use the vinyl, I think it is pricey and I haven't found a need for it.

If you are using fabric you would need to use HNB or Vinyl. When you are fusing them I only use HNB on one side: ie I put the HNB on the fabric, cut it to shape/size and iron that onto the untreated ribbon. If I am using E6000 I put the glue along the edges of the ribbon.

The more layers you have the stiffer they will get.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:57

Thank you all so much for the tips!!!!! These will give me a few options to play around with. I had to laugh at myself~today when I went to my supply closet to get out the HNB I found the Iron-on Vinyl. I have no idea why I would have purchased this, especially since I didn't even have a clue what type of vinyl was being talked about in the cheer bow posts, but at least I have some if I need it .
Thank you all again!!!!!!!!
Old 09-22-2011, 08:04

Can I pipe in with a vinyl question? I want to make a basic practice bow for my girls using mystique on one side, but plain grosgrain on the other... have any of you used vinyl on just the back of the plain grosgrain? Or any suggestions to make it as stiff as the side with the mystique?? I don't want a half floppy bow

Thanks so much for any input!!!

Nicole
Old 09-23-2011, 12:57

I think vinyl is used for the "autograph" bows, that's the only time I have ever heard of them being used. I make cheer bows and they are always stiff, I have never found a way to get around that and make them look fully professional. I do not like using heatnbond, I can never fully get it to stick to sequin material, I've tried both hnb lite and ultra and I'm just not a fan...my all time fav is steam n seam sheets they work A MAZING and I will NEVER make a cheer bow with anything else good luck with your bows!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/GlitZNGiggleZ
Old 09-23-2011, 05:51

I have tried using the heat bond lite and couldn't get the ribbon to stick together. So I tried the steam n seam sheets. I appeared to work wonderfully and I was so excited. But once I started trying to fold the bow, the layers started coming apart!! What am I doing wrong?
Old 09-24-2011, 01:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarquez View Post
I have tried using the heat bond lite and couldn't get the ribbon to stick together. So I tried the steam n seam sheets. I appeared to work wonderfully and I was so excited. But once I started trying to fold the bow, the layers started coming apart!! What am I doing wrong?
I have never used Stem n seam so I can't offer advice on that but I do tons of bows for rec, all star and HS team and always used hNB lite and have no problems with the fabric and ribbon sticking.

This is how I do it:
1.cut the sheet of HNB to length I need. Iron entire sheet to fabric/sequins.

2. Cut fabric to width that you need for your ribbon.

3. Iron: I put base ribbon on bottom, fabric on top and then place a light cotton fabric over it (sequins will melt to the iron if you don't use a cloth). If I am fusing ribbons together I do not use a cloth. Make sure you go slowly, allowing plenty of time for the glue on the HNB to melt and let if cool completely before folding.

I average about 50 bows a day and haven't had a problem using this method.
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif