Pendant Satin Large Star Flowers Acrylic Rhinestone Disney Bottle Caps 2pc Flatback Resin--Ballet Shoes Hairbows & Hair Clips 1pc Hip Girl Hair Bow Clips--Pink Ballet Shoes 1pc 5.5' Camelia Hair Flower--Hot Pink http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/cherry-blossom-ads.jpg 6pc Large Silk Fairy Hair Flowers--Combo

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 08-10-2011, 11:37

Default New found respect for bowmakers

Im not sure where to post this but here it goes.... I am a chemical engineer that chose to be a SAHM so to keep my sanity I started making bows thinking that at least my hands will be busy while I thought "engineery" thoughts and it has been like that for the past 2 years..until this month that I had my first show and my kids came down sick for 1 whole week and I didnt get any work done.. so I hired help..BIG mistake...it turns out that for making bows you dont only have to be crafty and creative.. you also have to be VERY smart! and be a mixture of engineer and architect..So for all of you that make bows..I take off my hat and please recieve my standing ovation..
Sponsored Links

Old 08-11-2011, 12:27

Default Re: New found respect for bowmakers

Agreed - it is an art form I am utterly incapable of mastering. So... I don't even try anymore. I accept my limitations!
Old 08-11-2011, 07:16

Awwww, how nice!! I don't clain to be a professional bow maker or anything, but I think I do apretty good job. It's nice to hear what you said, I think most people do think any one can do it. I've been at craft shows where people look at your stuff and say, Oh so and so can make that, or I could make one of those. Its frustrarting. It takes a lot of time, money and practice. You dont just pick up ribbon and make a beasutiful bow. I've been working at it for 3 years and I still have plenty of room to improve. Learn something new everyday!! Thanks!!
Old 08-11-2011, 08:57

So many of the bowmakers on here are excellent! Many of us are just starting out and it is hard! So much practice!
Old 08-11-2011, 11:29

I'm also an engineer turned SAHM/bow maker After 2 yrs, I think my bows look decent, but nowhere near as nice as some I've seen on here! It is harder than it looks.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickiemontes View Post
Im not sure where to post this but here it goes.... I am a chemical engineer that chose to be a SAHM so to keep my sanity I started making bows thinking that at least my hands will be busy while I thought "engineery" thoughts and it has been like that for the past 2 years..until this month that I had my first show and my kids came down sick for 1 whole week and I didnt get any work done.. so I hired help..BIG mistake...it turns out that for making bows you dont only have to be crafty and creative.. you also have to be VERY smart! and be a mixture of engineer and architect..So for all of you that make bows..I take off my hat and please recieve my standing ovation..
I'm a mechanical engineer- stay-at home mom for the last 6 years... I stick to the bigger stuff - tutus, and flowers.... LOL! outsourcing is the way to go for the bows for me! Kept me sane for a couple years, but now perhaps its time to enter the professional working world - watch for the big destash!

Last edited by OBABY; 08-11-2011 at 02:36.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickiemontes View Post
nobody tells you when you start out that you are actually going to lose your sanity...the addiction of more ribbon, flowers, supplies, etc. and then there is the destash!!!!
Old 08-11-2011, 04:28

I love the bugs, clippies, flowers - anything artsy crafty. But I am just learning on the bows. I couldn't do it very well without a template. Kudos to those of you that do what you do so well!
Sponsored Links