New product--2.5' Zebra Printed Grosgrain Ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/banners/peace-sign-grosgrain-ribbon-ads.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/7-8-grosgrain-ribbon-volleyball-forest-green.jpg
New Instructions--How to make korker hair bow using a korker box hip girl boutique grosgrain ribbon korker for hair bows, hair clips, baby women, toddler, girl, adult, floral design, birthday holiday gift wrapping
New product--star ribbon for cheer bows

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 08-10-2011, 02:52

Default Need Help!

My brother's fiance wants me to make an assortment of fabric flowers to put on her wedding cake. I can't find anything to attach them with, any ideas?
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-300.jpg
Old 08-10-2011, 03:10

Default Re: Need Help!

I did that for my wedding cake, and we used wires. It may have been jewelry wire.. I can't remember..
It was thin enough to poke through the flowers, and stick in the cake without leaving any big gaping holes. We just made sure when it was time for cake, that if a flower came out without a wire, it would need to be removed. Which, in that case, if the flower slipped off, then the wire would be visibly poking out of the cake.
I'm sure there are better ways to do it, but this worked well for us.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:17

If she doesn't mind, you could attach them to the end of wooden dowels, like place the bottom of the flower on the tip of the dowel and just stick the dowel in the cake, and just remove them to slice, and she could keep the flowers.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:26

I make the flower and then use a white wrapped wire to insert into the flower. Get some white flower tape and wrap the bottom of the flower on to the wire. They won't fall off an they won't make a big hole. The tap stretchs and "sticks" as you wrap it. Just continue wrapping around the wire about 2" down. The tape comes in several colors.

Another thing you could do is get some floral U-shaped pins used in floral arrangements. You could stitch the crossbar of the U to the bottom of the flower and still have two "legs" to stick into the cake.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:32

Thank you for all the ideas, I'll try these! You know how you just have one thought in your head and can't come up with anything else. These will be perfect!
Old 08-10-2011, 04:38

wires are good, just make sure you research the type of wire. I made a gumpaste flower for a wedding cake I made, and was shocked to realize that some wires can leach toxic elements in the cake...

Make sure you check that it is food safe. I think that probably Michaels or Joanns would have some in the cake section...

All of my tutorials are now available through my etsy store.

Check out my Tutorial Album on Picasa.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:00

Wilton makes pegs that you can use to put decorations on cakes. They are something like this. My neighbor used to do sculpted flowers and stuff for cake decorating and she used these ( or something very similar) for a base. I would think you could hot glue them to the flowers.

http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-12-Plat...3009802&sr=8-1
Old 08-10-2011, 09:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by emsbows89 View Post
Wilton makes pegs that you can use to put decorations on cakes. They are something like this. My neighbor used to do sculpted flowers and stuff for cake decorating and she used these ( or something very similar) for a base. I would think you could hot glue them to the flowers.

This is what I was thinking but with a bigger base to glue. I saw these but didn't know if the flowers would glue to it very well.
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.