http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/digital-image-editing%20-%20gallery.jpg
Saddle Stitch Ribbon
new products--1/4' plastic headbands
New colors--3/8' party dot and gymbo dot grosgrain ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/horse-grosgrain-ribbon-029.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/apple-grosgrain-ribbon-combo.jpg
New product--3/8' wrapped headband
new clearance items

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 08-09-2011, 03:18

Default Trying to make an applique tshirt

I asked my mom to make my daughter a tshirt with an M applique and we are trying to find the best way to do this. Our idea was to cut out the fabric M after we ironed on the wonder under. Then we were going to do the stitching all the way around the m on the sewing machine. Then iron on to shirt. But when she tried stitching around it, it kind of pulled in the fabric. Is there an easy way to do this?
Or our next try was to just iron the m on to the shirt and then tack it in all the corners. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, but I would like it to look nice. Its for her to wear to the football games and such because my older DD is on the dance team.
Any ideas are appreciated!! We've never really done this before.
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-300.jpg
Old 08-09-2011, 03:45

Default Re: Trying to make an applique tshirt

I would iron it on the shirt and then sew around it
Old 08-09-2011, 04:28

Are you using ball point needles?
Old 08-09-2011, 04:34

Iron on the wonder-under then iron on the M to the shirt. Turn the shirt inside out and apply some iron-on interfacing. Doesn't have to be thick, just something to keep the knit fabric from stretching while you are sewing it. Put it on the machine and sew it! If you don't want to do a tight zig-zag, satin stitch, then play around with it. When I do my appliques not on my embroidery machine I like to do a regular running stitch about 1/4 around the applique and then make the zig-zag up a wide stitch and stitch the outside with it. Or the blanket stitch always looks cute too! Or you can just do the running stitch and fray the edges of the letter.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:37

I would iron it on and then sew all the way around! I think that would be the best course of action!
Old 08-09-2011, 04:48

Just use some tear away stabilizer under the shirt to help with it not "pulling!"
Old 08-09-2011, 06:00

Thanks for all the replies!! That was one of the things we were worried about, the shirt puckering if we sewed it after it being ironed on. And she did mention maybe using some stablilizer under the shirt for something extra.
Thanks again!!! Hopefully this turns out the way we want it to.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettypiggysboutique View Post
Iron on the wonder-under then iron on the M to the shirt. Turn the shirt inside out and apply some iron-on interfacing. Doesn't have to be thick, just something to keep the knit fabric from stretching while you are sewing it. Put it on the machine and sew it! If you don't want to do a tight zig-zag, satin stitch, then play around with it. When I do my appliques not on my embroidery machine I like to do a regular running stitch about 1/4 around the applique and then make the zig-zag up a wide stitch and stitch the outside with it. Or the blanket stitch always looks cute too! Or you can just do the running stitch and fray the edges of the letter.
I just read this to my mom and she said this all makes perfect sense!! Thanks so much!!
Old 08-09-2011, 08:05

Make sure you wash the material you are using and the shirt first, too!
Old 08-10-2011, 10:16

I make "spirit" shirts for my dd and girls at their schools. I iron on wonder under, cut out the letters (we use a LOT of the glitter dot fabric like they use on the cheer bows) and then iron onto the tshirt..I have been using fabric dimesional paint to outline the letters to make them "pop", but if you put them in the dryer the paint cracks, so I have been working on sewing the edges..i use a regular sewing machine set to the middle-sized zigzag stitch and go around the edges...and u can buy the tear-away stabilizer and put underneath...the only trouble i am having is finding an embroidery hoop that will fit under the foot of the machine....HTH
Sponsored Links