New products--alligator clips with teeth
Free bottle cap tutorial/instructions--sealing bottle caps
New products--3' star grosgrain ribbon
New products--hip scottie III

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 10-06-2011, 03:41
Default Re: Dying Chiffon? HELP!

A friend of mine owns a (incredible!!) Tie Dye business, and she only used Dharma, I asked her if she could die the CHiffon for me; and she said that she would need to purchase either the Acid Dye, or the Dye that is made for Poly fabrics.

I know that on this link, there are options for the Acid Dye, and the Poly Fabric Dye:

Just a thought in case all that you have is for the natural or plant based fabrics...those would not work on the Chiffons/Poly Satins/etc.

I don't have time for drama. I am just here to learn, and better MY business.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2011, 08:17

Originally Posted by Tiara View Post
Chiffon cannot be dyed. It won't hold dye as with other nylon based fabrics. Nylon is basically woven plastic...RIT Dye and most other off-the-shelf dye will not work.

So keep that in mind when shopping for fabrics next time. I hope the other suggestion above helps you somewhat. But I wouldn't sell any clothing that had paint added to the dye.
I just came from Joann's and noticed some "Jacquard" dye for nylon fabrics above the RIT dye. I wanted to take a pic for you but I left my phone in the car lol.

Check out this link:

I had no idea they sold acid dye at Joann's. Now I know!
Let us know what works... I'm curious now.
Eat. Design. Sew. Sell. Sleep.

Last edited by Tiara; 10-06-2011 at 08:20.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:45

i have no idea whether this would work on other than cotton . . . but it's worth a try/so easy to do - w/out the mess!

sharpie markers + rubbing alcohol . . .

this site has more pics . . .

Last edited by prleaf; 11-08-2011 at 06:47.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:10

Dharma is definitely THE place for dyes!! Love them! I've ordered from them several times and they are awesome!!

As far as dyeing chiffon, there probably is a way to dye it with your procion MX fiber reactive dyes. It sounds like you can't use a soda ash soak for it because its sending the Ph level the wrong direction for it to accept the dye. Try using plain white vinegar instead of the soda ash. (the vinegar is an acid, and will lower the Ph) The rest of the dyeing process would be the same, other than I would rinse it out by hand, not in the washing machine. (especially if it is silk chiffon) It may smell a little like vinegar when you are done. Dharma sells Citric Acid which you can use instead of vinegar if you want, but when I dyed some headbands using a vinegar soak, I simply soaked them in water with a little bit of scented shower gel in it (AFTER the dye was set) and they came out smelling great!

Hope this helps!
Old 11-09-2011, 01:25

I use iDye Poly to dye chiffon flowers & trim - its specifically made for polyester and nylon and the results are vibrant. It's a super easy process (everything's in the packet!) and the colors come out nice and rich. The only drawback is it's only available in 8 colors
Acid dyes didn't work well for me - I got very pastel results even after dying the chiffon multiple times.
Here's some flowers I dyed with iDye Poly
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 330006_2074034890218_1225315531_31878852_222374670_o.jpg (53.2 KB, 20 views)
Old 11-09-2011, 03:14

I am still dyeing fabric with air brush paint works great but not sure where you buy the other ones Pat
Sponsored Links