New products--peelnstick double-sided-tape for lining clips
http://www.thehairbowcompany.com/assets/images/affiliateBanners/affiliateBanner3.jpg
hip girl boutique 1" metallic gold gliter sparkle ribbon
hip girl boutique grosgrain ribbon wrapped headbands for girls women baby toddler
hip girl boutique goody ponytail pigtail holder for women girl toddler baby

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 07-28-2011, 02:44

Default Dying skinny elastic??

I got an order for some custom colored chiffon flowers and I wanted to try to dye the elastic to match.

Has anyone ever tried to do this and did it work?? Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies
Old 07-28-2011, 03:24

Default Re: Dying skinny elastic??

I've never done it but I don't see why it wouldn't. I would try Rit.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:27

I dyed some yellow and used Rit and it turned out fine. I mixed just a small amount of the dye and just kept checking on it until I got the color I needed.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:37

great, thanks.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedMom View Post
I dyed some yellow and used Rit and it turned out fine. I mixed just a small amount of the dye and just kept checking on it until I got the color I needed.
how did you dye it? I usually boil some water and I put in a plastic bowl mix the dye and add the elastic.. but sometimes my elastic comes out with stains.. can you share how you dyed yours please what method did you use? thanks
Old 07-28-2011, 04:39

That's how I did mine. I was dying mine a pale yellow, that may be why I didn't have stains. I haven't tried a darker color yet.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedMom View Post
That's how I did mine. I was dying mine a pale yellow, that may be why I didn't have stains. I haven't tried a darker color yet.
I dyed a brown one and it came put with spots.. I thought it might have been that I was doing it wrong but I guess I'll have to do some more trial & error.. thank you!
Old 07-28-2011, 06:06

This may sound redic, but maybe try Easter Egg dye? Obviously you can't go from a purple HB to a yellow using it, but you can go from yellow HB to hot pink and light blue to purple... I always color flowers and fabric with it..If you have some stored away it couldn't help to try, right? Make sure to check if white vinegar is needed, because when I do my flowers, the more vinegar, the more "shocking" and vibrant the colors are, and use less vinegar or none if you want a pastel color. That's the main reason I use it, because unlike the real fabric dye, I have more control of the colors
Old 07-28-2011, 06:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexiBug View Post
This may sound redic, but maybe try Easter Egg dye? Obviously you can't go from a purple HB to a yellow using it, but you can go from yellow HB to hot pink and light blue to purple... I always color flowers and fabric with it..If you have some stored away it couldn't help to try, right? Make sure to check if white vinegar is needed, because when I do my flowers, the more vinegar, the more "shocking" and vibrant the colors are, and use less vinegar or none if you want a pastel color. That's the main reason I use it, because unlike the real fabric dye, I have more control of the colors
Easter egg dye? tell me more please.. what fabric flowers do you dye? I need to dye a whole bunch of white fabric that's just collecting dust around..lol.. I want to make a backdrop.. where do I find Easter egg dye? I know I'm lame but I've never dyed an egg in my life..lol.. ty
Old 07-28-2011, 08:29

I think you will be fine, just be sure to rinse them well....so if the wearer sweats it does not bleed.
Sponsored Links