http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/digital-image-editing%20-%20gallery.jpg
Saddle Stitch Ribbon
new products--1/4' plastic headbands
New colors--3/8' party dot and gymbo dot grosgrain ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/horse-grosgrain-ribbon-029.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/apple-grosgrain-ribbon-combo.jpg
New product--3/8' wrapped headband
new clearance items

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 07-20-2011, 05:34

Default Semi-newbie would like a question answered please..

I made the 80's braided barrettes; but I'm such a visual person that I have a hard time understanding written directions, so I went by memory...

what a few people have asked me about, when they have seen them, was that the ends aren't ribboned. What I mean by this is that the silver, black or white barrette is showing at the end. it is not covered by ribbon. Its not a lot, but its enough to bother me..

Please, I am not as talented as 99.9% of the ppl on here, I only do this for fun and for my girls and a few friends..honestly I cant even get a basic bow down..so please be gentle! LOL

If you see the braided barrette in this photo, you'll notice that at the right side of the barrette at the end, I didnt remember how to "end" the barrette...so there are two diff. endings..each didnt work IMO...
the only reason as well, that there is no barrette "showing" so to speak is that I used a black barrette lol..so how do I ribbon the beginning side of the barrette?

TIA for your help and guidance!!! (ignore the mickey clips!)

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2011, 06:00

Default Re: Semi-newbie would like a question answered please..

I've never made these & I'm certainly not an expert, but judging from your description, the only think I can think to do would be to line the barrette first & then do your braid over it...does that make sense? Like I said, I've never tried it, lol, but it seems like that would be the easiest way to cover the clip.

Last edited by tashaB; 07-20-2011 at 06:34. Reason: **mommy brain! misspelled word!**
Old 07-20-2011, 06:21

Ive never done it, but I would figure you could do it like weaving the headbands.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:32

The only issue would be, that the braiding is done in between the openings of the clip..so if I line it..I cant braid it right...
Old 07-20-2011, 06:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by momagain1 View Post
The only issue would be, that the braiding is done in between the openings of the clip..so if I line it..I cant braid it right...

Ahh! I see Hmm...
Old 07-20-2011, 06:46

This may help:

http://weefolkart.com/?q=node/450

It looks like they have some of the barrett showing but this may help you with ending the ribbon.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:51

Thanks..I'll check that out too!
Old 07-20-2011, 09:57

OMG i LOVE those 80's barrettes. i have such fond memories of making them!!! i don't recall not ending them, though! but then again, i'm getting old and my memory constantly fails me these days, LOL. i heart you for bringing the 80's barrettes back!
Old 07-21-2011, 03:10

My mom used to make these for me back in the day! I have several tuts printed and the materials, but have yet to finish one...I am thinking that maybe spray-painting the barrette may hide the fact that they aren't covered all the way? Like for our school colors, it would be royal blue and white, and I would paint them either white or royal blue...and I think I am going to try using a bit of adhesive on the starting pieces to hold it steady, as that seems to be my problem...
Old 07-21-2011, 03:12

Thanks for that link. I too have wondered how you make them. My little girl loves anything that hangs down. She thinks she is a princess.
Sponsored Links