new products--lined 30mm snap clips--printed grosgrain ribbon
Offray Dr. Seuss Craft Ribbon: 18 Feet 7/8 Inch Satin Fabric Craft Ribbon For Gift Package Wrapping,Hairbow Clips,Sewing,Wedding,Scrapbook,Boy Girl Baby Shower-(2x3yd Thing One Thing Two New Fish)
New products--paper bow cards
New product--clear shopping bags
New products--7/8' peace sign ribbon
Hipgirl 36 Yards 1/8" Satin Fabric Ribbon Set, Double Face For Gift Package Wrapping, Double Bar Barrette Clip Making, Crafting, Sewing, Wedding Decor, Boy Girl Baby Shower-(18x2yd Boutique Ribbons)
new products--gymbo dot grosgrain mini bows-diy
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/20pc-korker-ribbon-combo.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 07-19-2011, 11:58

Default Re: how to make a bow out of fabric

Quote:
Originally Posted by prleaf View Post
decided to use your words . . . hope you don't mind! you can also use a 1.5 - 1.75" piece of tulle as your backing & sew into a tube. or, you could use complimentary/contrasting fabric for the backing. if you use a width that's a bit shorter, it'll bring your seam to the inside . . . and if you really want to get fussy, you could then topstitch it.
First of thanks everyone for the advice!! i so appreciate it. i need to make three bows out of this piece of fabric & its not that wide & only 2-2 1/2 feet long so i think i will not be able to get but maybe one flower out of it. i think a tuxedo bow would be great! i could definitely get three out of this if i am real careful with what i have. i am not much of a sewer though so could u tell me what u mean by bring your seam to the inside or topstiching? sorry if its a dumb question, but like i said i am a novice at sewing. thanks in advance. u all r so great!!!

Jen H.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2011, 01:58

I've made tons of fabric bows since I have sewn for a zillion years. I agree that 2" isn't going to give you a very full bow. A tube will hide all the edges but it won't allow for a bow more than 1 1/2" wide at most. I would agree with the above to put several bows together for width and maybe add some organsa or tulle or something to bulk it up a little. I am just backward of everyone here. My background is fabric and I am going to ribbon. With all I have seen on this site, you would well be able to think of a great design and figure the fabric part. Let us know what you decide on and maybe some of the sewers can help with how to realize it.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:20

Thanks for posting this question, and thanks to all of the hg's that responded..I will be attempting to use fabric for a coordinating bow this week, and fortunately, I own the fabric and have plenty of it...I think I will be trying the tube method and using it as I would ribbon..i did find somewhere instructions where it said to use a glue/water mixture and then iron it for stiffness...I guess you could also put grosgrain ribbon inside the tube for stability...my dd is begging for her bow, but i've been putting it off
Old 07-19-2011, 04:54

First of all, Ronnie & ammperry2, that's very kind of you ladies to plug me! You're terrific!!

Also, if you just want a bow you might consider cutting your fabric on the bias (a 45 degree angle) which makes for little or no fray. I make ribbon like this frequently and love it. I personally love raw edges for bows. Not sure about your fabric, though, but I'd love to see pics of whatever you create when you are done!! Best of luck!!
Old 07-20-2011, 04:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handmadebyjen View Post
First of thanks everyone for the advice!! i so appreciate it. i need to make three bows out of this piece of fabric & its not that wide & only 2-2 1/2 feet long so i think i will not be able to get but maybe one flower out of it. i think a tuxedo bow would be great! i could definitely get three out of this if i am real careful with what i have. i am not much of a sewer though so could u tell me what u mean by bring your seam to the inside or topstiching? sorry if its a dumb question, but like i said i am a novice at sewing. thanks in advance. u all r so great!!!

Jen H.
okay . . . let me see if i can walk/stroll you thru it.

let's say your piece of fabric is 2" wide . . . i'd cut my lining fabric 1 1/2" wide. put right sides together and line up both (good fabric & lining fabric) edges on one side/length. sew a 1/4" seam. then take the lining fabric and match it up to the other side/length. the "good fabric" will have a bubble/not match up . . . you have to pin/hold it so that it does when you sew this side's length. iron it on the wrong side -- seams only -- before you turn it right side out (this makes a ton of difference in having the seam lay flat/lock in your stitches w/the fabric (quilters trick) . now you can turn it right side out . . . your 2 seams will be on the back - hopefully 1/4" down from the width of the ribbon.

kinda picture your good fabric like the letter U and you're putting a top on it (the lining fabric) . . . and then when you smoosh it down = your seams are on the back!

you can iron . . . and usually if the fabric doesn't cooperate (like velveteen) , i sew 1 or 2 lines of straight stitches down the length on each edge 1/4 or 1/8 in from the edge .

practice w/an old piece of fabric and see if you understand the technique . . .

i do know that "steam a seam" comes in 1/4 or 3/8" width . . . and you could go this route (eliminate sewing) and just use your iron!

i did the above with the rosette ribbon fabric (4" wide) . . . and i didn't want the lining fabric to show on the edge . . . worked great 'cause it rolled the rosette ribbon over just enough so one could not see the seam at the edge. i was able to make 1" & 2" wide ribbon out of this . . . (the other 1" was used as the seam allowances).

hope i didn't confuse you more . . . let me know if something/all is not clear.

edit . . . i also do this for fabric headbands . . . so the "seam" is not noticeable at the edge.

Last edited by prleaf; 07-20-2011 at 05:13.
Sponsored Links