New product--2.5' Zebra Printed Grosgrain Ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/banners/peace-sign-grosgrain-ribbon-ads.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/7-8-grosgrain-ribbon-volleyball-forest-green.jpg
New Instructions--How to make korker hair bow using a korker box hip girl boutique grosgrain ribbon korker for hair bows, hair clips, baby women, toddler, girl, adult, floral design, birthday holiday gift wrapping
New product--star ribbon for cheer bows

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 07-16-2011, 04:45

Default I don't understand why....

...when people make a stacked bow they do bow, spikes, surround, bow. What is the point to the first bow being under the spikes? You don't see it then.

I just bought the BBM and it shows you to do this and I really don't understand the point.
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg
Old 07-16-2011, 04:47

Default Re: I don't understand why....

Some people do it to make sure the spikes don't flop down. I do it on some of my bows, but if I want them less bulky I skip the initial bow. I also tend to do pinwheel bows on the bottom or boutique ones upside down.

Want to know what all the fuss is about? Join Bownanas on facebook. 1,300 members and growing!

I'll let you sleep with my husband before I give you my supplier information, so don't ask.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromMyasCloset View Post
...when people make a stacked bow they do bow, spikes, surround, bow. What is the point to the first bow being under the spikes? You don't see it then.

I just bought the BBM and it shows you to do this and I really don't understand the point.
The first bow should not be under the spikes.

It should be:

top bow
surround
marabou
spikes
base bow

Of course everyone does it differently but that is the main structure of one.

Are you talking about those that have the surround swallowing the top bow? I have seen those and they just need to work on their surrounds better. Spikes should not be on top of the bow unless you are trying to start a new creation but it really serves no purpose to put them above the top bow if you cant see the bow at all. I have seen korkers on top but they are small and do not take over the "top" bow.

Did I read your question right?

Last edited by ronnie; 07-16-2011 at 04:53.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowMamaof4 View Post
Some people do it to make sure the spikes don't flop down. I do it on some of my bows, but if I want them less bulky I skip the initial bow. I also tend to do pinwheel bows on the bottom or boutique ones upside down.
That is what I do on my base bows too Ashley. Pinwheels if they want it not so big and upside down TBB to give it that OTT look.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:39

So the point to the bow that is going to be attached to the clip is just to make the spikes not flop around?
Old 07-16-2011, 05:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromMyasCloset View Post
So the point to the bow that is going to be attached to the clip is just to make the spikes not flop around?
For me...no. For others..maybe. The base bow at the bottom is what gives the entire bow that OTT look.

The bow in my avatar does not have a base bow on it. The lady that ordered it said no to having it. I like to use Schiff ribbon for spikes that do not have the base bow becasue that ribbon is stiff and sits well alone. It jsut depends. Also the longer the spikes the more flop you will get with them. Does that make sense? For some reason I thought you were talking about the top bow having the spikes on top of them. I am sorry I read that wrong.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:51

I have never made a stacked bow that did not have a base bow mine goes (from bottom to top)

base bow
spikes
loops
top bow

and i throwm marabou and tulle in between there sometimes. you can see my base bow

veronica

*I will not tell you your UGLY bow is PRETTY but I will try to help you make it better..............wish someone would of told me my first bows were ugly. I do this out of love not wickedness *
Old 07-16-2011, 05:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Tu-Tu* Cute Hair Bows View Post
I have never made a stacked bow that did not have a base bow mine goes (from bottom to top)

base bow
spikes
loops
top bow

and i throwm marabou and tulle in between there sometimes. you can see my base bow

veronica

I saw a table full of those bows yesterday and I have to say they all looked awesome and your base was visible.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie View Post
I saw a table full of those bows yesterday and I have to say they all looked awesome and your base was visible.
thanks girl !

veronica

*I will not tell you your UGLY bow is PRETTY but I will try to help you make it better..............wish someone would of told me my first bows were ugly. I do this out of love not wickedness *
Old 07-16-2011, 06:29

In my personal experience the bow that doesn't have base bow sits funny on the head. When I first started making bows I did spikes as first layer and now when I look at them they don't look nearly as well as bows with base bow.