Free Instructions---------Free Instructions----------Free Instructions-----------Free Instructions.
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/ribbon-korker-hair-bow-clip-instructions-sm.jpg
New Instructions--How to make braided/woven headband instruction
New Instructions--How to make hair bow gift basket
Free Hair Bow Instructions-Snail
Free Hair Bow Instructions--Christmas Tree
http://hipgirlclips.com/forums/xw-instruction-images/bee/bumble%20bee%20sm.jpg

New products--grosgrain ribbon mini bows

http://hipgirlclips.com/forums/xw-instruction-images/rainbow-ribbon-dragonfly-hair-clips-free-tutorial/dragonfly-rainbow.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 07-12-2011, 03:07

Default A few (hopefully) simple questions about this bow..

http://lilbellebowtique.blogspot.com...-boutique.html

I remember seeing that if the bow is not yours to post a link to ask about it, so I hope this is right.. if not just let me know. I don't want anyone to think I'm taking credit for a picture that is not mine.

Anyway, I have searched for instructions on these particular bows.. and I feel pretty confident, but wanted to ask a few questions.

I have found that using a template works better for layering the two ribbons, for the top bow. Simply because the ribbon doesn't buckle in areas or have misshaped loops. I made my own templates after researching NBNG templates. I like the look of these bows not having tails, and with templates it seems easier to have them. I feel like when I trim the ends off afterwards, it looks cheaply made, and fear that i can't heat seal properly.
I'd like to do the figure 8 on it, but the bow always seems to be more of a boutique than a twisted boutique. Plus, I can't seem to layer two ribbons when doing the figure 8 method.
I have a Xyron, but the ribbons don't always hold together.. plus I like the look of the bows not being stuck together, if that makes sense. I've heard of sewing the ribbons together, but I have no idea how or where to stitch.
I can freehand, but have not mastered the art of freehanding with layers.
If anyone has any tips on the best way to layer.. or how to go tail-free with templates.. I would definitely appreciate it.
I'm sorry if this seems repetitive, because I know I have seen a few questions about this type of layered bow, but I didn't find any threads regarding my specific questions.
Please let me know if my questions make sense.. I'm still learning.
TIA
Kassi
aka - the woman trying to not waste ribbon by trying over and over.. or the woman who has tried it over and over and may start losing hair!
Sponsored Links

Old 07-12-2011, 03:10

Default Re: A few (hopefully) simple questions about this bow..

I should add that in this picture you can see the tails a little, but I've also seen where there are no tails. The bow I posted earlier, definitely, has better looking tails than mine after I attempt to snip them.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:11

I would buy the nbng template and book I love mine
Old 07-12-2011, 03:13

You did it right in posting the link...
I don't know if I know what you are asking? I wonder if you can just do a boutique and then cut the tails short.. I use a lighter to seal because my wood burner hates me. Have you tired hot gluing the layers together before you put a cetner on?? That may work, but then again I don't make those bows very often because I'm not great at them.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:14

The instructions I've seen on these the bow is done via figure 8.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:14

I use my double sided tape in between the areas I will sew. I want the needle to go through as easy as possible and to not get gummy.

Honestly about not wanting to waste ribbon. Your gonna use yards and yards perfecting your bows. I'm pretty happy w my stacked bows and I look back at my first twisteds like "yeash!" Bows are an art. And like all art they take practice. What works for you might not work for others
Old 07-12-2011, 05:12

Try this bow method http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=GyMRR5jDYSc and DO NOT CLIP tail until you have your bow secured. (Then just clip the tail super short)

I have used fabri-tac before when layering but it makes the ribbon bulky when it comes to folding and creasing.

I hate wasting ribbon also

Old 07-12-2011, 06:02

a suggestion on the wasted ribbon side....buy several rolls of discount ribbon to practice with...you can get them very cheap at michaels and HL when you use their coupons...
Old 07-12-2011, 06:42

I think using BBM template would help with layering ribbon. I do that all the time. And BBM uses the figure 8 method.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:46

Cut about 24-25" of ribbon. If you have a woodburner then seal the ends.

I dont use any type bond, glue or stitching for my layered bows as I found it easier and less time consuming once I mastered the skill.

Since you are just learning how to layer and dont want that secured look I would do this.

If you have a ribbon iron then great (WM carries them) if not you can use a regular iron at a low setting.

Take your ribbon and layer them together.

Fole your ribbon in half and then press the iron on top the fold to make a crease.

Next, fold it again leaving about 1/2" tail hanging out and press the fold again to leave that second crease.

Now take the tail and fold it over until it is at the same length as that second crease and press the iron on the new (3rd) fold.

Once that is done you can un fold the ribbon and use those creases as a holding point and guide for you to keep the ribbon together.

I have some step by step pics posted in here somewhere in this section of the forums. I think the name of of the thread has something like darn twisted boutique or something along that line. I dont have time right now to search it but I will try to later if you havent found it yet.

Maybe that might help you. The only thing is I did not layer my ribbon in there but you can see the crease as I am putting the bow together.
Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies