new products--lined 30mm snap clips--printed grosgrain ribbon
Offray Dr. Seuss Craft Ribbon: 18 Feet 7/8 Inch Satin Fabric Craft Ribbon For Gift Package Wrapping,Hairbow Clips,Sewing,Wedding,Scrapbook,Boy Girl Baby Shower-(2x3yd Thing One Thing Two New Fish)
New products--paper bow cards
New product--clear shopping bags
New products--7/8' peace sign ribbon
Hipgirl 36 Yards 1/8" Satin Fabric Ribbon Set, Double Face For Gift Package Wrapping, Double Bar Barrette Clip Making, Crafting, Sewing, Wedding Decor, Boy Girl Baby Shower-(18x2yd Boutique Ribbons)
new products--gymbo dot grosgrain mini bows-diy
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/20pc-korker-ribbon-combo.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 06-28-2011, 04:37

Default Shipping from Canada..please help!

I just sent out my first bow order after moving to Canada. I was nervous about the cost of shipping to the US and sure enough, it was 7.50! This was a little box with one bow. For those of you who also live here, is there anything I can do to lessen the cost of shipping? I am not making any money if all my costs go into mailing the items! I charged 3.00 for shipping to my buyer and felt like that was a lot!
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg
Old 06-28-2011, 10:32

Default Re: Shipping from Canada..please help!

Mailing small items can suck in Canada... it's even worse when mailed to the US. However, get their postal/zip code and you can go to canadapost.ca to get a quote.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:28

ya its alot of money here and i have checked around and everyone is about the same price. On my face book i charge 8.00 and still have some people that will pay it but i am just gettin started too.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:45

Yuppers it is double the price. That is what you get when it is a private enterprise that is not being bailed out by government. But that is a whole other story, after dealing with the strike/lock out I am still confused over the crown corporation thing.

Get yourself a Venture One card, you will save some...but don't expect your shipping costs to compare to what it was in the U.S.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:48

Crown Corporation means that the company is owned by the country - controlled by the government, not a private corporation.

A lot of the cost is due to economies of scale. There are 10X as many people using the US Postal Service, and a much smaller geographic area to cover. Because of this, they can do each piece for cheaper..

They also price *differently* than Canada. Here in Canada the 'First Class' or as we call it "Lettermail" rates are only for ... Letters. Depending on the bow, you can stick it into an envelope, but it needs to be less than 2cm thick... at which point it will ship cheap. Anything above the 'lettermail' size limits is a parcel -- and charged based on a combination of size and weight.

In the US, you can ship smaller 'packages' at the First Class (lettermail) rate, just paying based on weight - up to a limit. This means that a slightly bulky item like a bow can ship cheap because it doesn't weigh anything.

Online retailers have been fighting this battle for years, but it's unlikely to ever change... and to make matters worse, it's often cheaper to take the exact same package across the border, and ship it back across the border cheaper than shipping within the country.

Welcome to Canada, eh?

(If it's any consolation, larger packages cost about the same here as in the US)
Old 06-30-2011, 12:31

but they are not funded by the government like USPS correct? They also are not operating under the huge deficit that the USPS is as well. So I am told anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaTulle View Post
Crown Corporation means that the company is owned by the country - controlled by the government, not a private corporation.

A lot of the cost is due to economies of scale. There are 10X as many people using the US Postal Service, and a much smaller geographic area to cover. Because of this, they can do each piece for cheaper..

They also price *differently* than Canada. Here in Canada the 'First Class' or as we call it "Lettermail" rates are only for ... Letters. Depending on the bow, you can stick it into an envelope, but it needs to be less than 2cm thick... at which point it will ship cheap. Anything above the 'lettermail' size limits is a parcel -- and charged based on a combination of size and weight.

In the US, you can ship smaller 'packages' at the First Class (lettermail) rate, just paying based on weight - up to a limit. This means that a slightly bulky item like a bow can ship cheap because it doesn't weigh anything.

Online retailers have been fighting this battle for years, but it's unlikely to ever change... and to make matters worse, it's often cheaper to take the exact same package across the border, and ship it back across the border cheaper than shipping within the country.

Welcome to Canada, eh?

(If it's any consolation, larger packages cost about the same here as in the US)
Old 06-30-2011, 09:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoreille View Post
but they are not funded by the government like USPS correct? They also are not operating under the huge deficit that the USPS is as well. So I am told anyways.
Correct -- Canada Post is self-funded and a *gasp* profitable organization! However, when you have a government mandated monopoly on lettermail services, you can charge anything that you like.. it should not be hard to turn a profit.

In the US, they treat the USPS differently -- the government sees it as a fundamental right for the people, and critical to the success of business -- I like this approach, as I'm sure by stimulating trade the tax revenue would far outweigh the deficit caused by lower rates.

However, I'm not an economist, and I'm not in the government, so my opinion doesn't mean a heck of a lot
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.