printed bottle caps fabric tape http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/categories/rhine-stone-flat-back-title-sm.jpg stripe ribbon mini bows 7/8" saddle stitch grosgrain ribbon crochet headband trim

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 06-28-2011, 12:52

Default Okay im getting ready to do this... ? Urgent... before I ruin it.

I am making 8 cheer bows...
Can i just use 1 piece of sequin fabric the width/length of all 8 bows (example 8 bows x 2" grosgrain = 16" wide x 27" long piece of sequin fabric) iron on the hnb peel off and then lay the 8 pieces of ribbon side by side on the fabric that the hnb on it then cut in between the ribbon with the rotery cutter.

Some people say cut the fabric separately 1/8 inch narrower than the ribbon...
What is the reason for this and is it needed?

Should I leave a 1/2 in. gap (where i don't adhere hnb) directly in the center of the fabric/ribbon to help with creasing the ribbon in the middle?

Thank you in advance for your help.

I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made... Psalm 139:14
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg
Old 06-28-2011, 02:40

Default Re: Okay im getting ready to do this... ? Urgent... before I ruin it.

IMO, you could cut the large piece all at once, but I think it would be too easy to cut the ribbon if you hnb, then cut the strips....
Old 06-28-2011, 03:37

Honestly, you really shouldn't do it that way.... I iron on a large piece of Heat and bond (I buy it by the bolt) to the back of the sequin fabric. I measure my heat and bond to the length and width I need to make X number of bows. Less waste of the sequin fabric this way. When you iron the fabric to the ribbon you really want to be able to get a good bond plus even heat or your fabric can come loose of the ribbon. If you are using a roll of Heat and bond do each strip individually.

as for the gap - it helps with the edges of the ribbon be the edge instead of edges of fabric that can pull.

the center gap - I don't do it, but I guess you could!
Old 06-28-2011, 03:58

When I am doing a single layer sequin cheer bow this is what I do:
-measure out a piece of heat and bond the length and width for all of the bows I need to make together (ie: 16" high x 29" long)
-iron the sheet of hnb to the sequin fabric
-using a rotary cutter cut the fabric into strips that are the same size as your ribbon lengths
-lay the sequin fabric down with hnb side up, lay the ribbon over it and start ironing. Repeat this in assembly line process for each length of ribbon
-mark the ribbon where you are going to make your folds.
-I do my vcuts on the ends now with my wood burner. It is easier for me to do so prior to folding ribbon.
-fold your bows & attach to pony's etc.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstimpert View Post
Honestly, you really shouldn't do it that way.... I iron on a large piece of Heat and bond (I buy it by the bolt) to the back of the sequin fabric. I measure my heat and bond to the length and width I need to make X number of bows. Less waste of the sequin fabric this way. When you iron the fabric to the ribbon you really want to be able to get a good bond plus even heat or your fabric can come loose of the ribbon. If you are using a roll of Heat and bond do each strip individually.

as for the gap - it helps with the edges of the ribbon be the edge instead of edges of fabric that can pull.

the center gap - I don't do it, but I guess you could!
This way is probably the best way to do it.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:30

I do mine a bit different.

I use heat n bond by the bolt, and iron on the ribbon right to the heat n bond, and then cut out the piece of ribbon. This is easy if you do more than once piece of ribbon at a time. Just iron each piece at a time, just right next to each other. After that you just peel them from the backing. Then I lay the fabric with the wrong side up and iron the ribbon to the fabric. Then I use a rotary cutter to cut out the fabric and ribbon. That way you know for sure every piece of fabric will match the ribbon perfectly.
Sponsored Links