http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-800.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 06-20-2011, 02:39

Default Altering foam heads

I found a local place that sells these. I was thinking about sort of decoupaging a couple in some bright and funky way. But I know some glues will not adhere to foam well. Do you think modpoge would work? Or should I use another glue?
Old 06-20-2011, 02:44

Default Re: Altering foam heads

I did styrofoam balls with tissue paper and modge podge. I started out with glossy modge podge and it looked funny to me. So I swapped out to the matte kinda and its still glossy but not as shiny as the glossy. That seemed to work better for me.

All I did was tear my tissue paper (I got a pack from the dollar tree) and then put a layer or modge podge on the foam and then layered it with tissue. I let that dry for a few minutes and then repeated it. I did several layers of paper.

It worked out well for me. I also took one and modge podged it with white paper and then sprayed it with matte black spray paint for a photo prop. That turned out really well.

So you could do some and then paint it.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:47

Thanks Lindsey! I was thinking about using images from magazines. I like the tissue paper idea though. You gave me something to think about. At least I know the modpoge holds up
Old 06-20-2011, 02:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twylabug View Post
Thanks Lindsey! I was thinking about using images from magazines. I like the tissue paper idea though. You gave me something to think about. At least I know the modpoge holds up
If you're gonna do it with magazine paper or anything like that... I would do a few layers of tissue first (like white or something) and then make your last layer be your magazine paper or whatever....

Because the paper gets kinda transparent when you do the modge podge on it (even after it dries) and so if you did just magazine paper it might do the same thing and then you'd end up being able to see the writing and stuff from the diffrent layers of magazine paper.....

Did that make sense? lol
Old 06-20-2011, 04:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandelion View Post
If you're gonna do it with magazine paper or anything like that... I would do a few layers of tissue first (like white or something) and then make your last layer be your magazine paper or whatever....

Because the paper gets kinda transparent when you do the modge podge on it (even after it dries) and so if you did just magazine paper it might do the same thing and then you'd end up being able to see the writing and stuff from the diffrent layers of magazine paper.....

Did that make sense? lol
Glad you posted this, I wouldn't have thought of that.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:14

Perfect sense Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandelion View Post

Did that make sense? lol
Old 06-21-2011, 05:18

I'm so glad i found this post because my little Styrofoam head needs some Major help! LOL..
she wasn't too fancy when someone gave her to me, so i thought id give her a makeover and well.. that didn't work to well either.
I hate to throw her away, so i may just decoupage her..LOL..
Here she is looking like a drag queen after her make over
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF3649.JPG (24.8 KB, 39 views)
Old 06-21-2011, 09:55

I used modge podge for mine, the glossy kind. I used scrapbook paper. I mainly use the styrofoam heads for hats and beanies. If I can find the photos, I will post them

Boutique It Up
https://www.facebook.com/groups/387555291278866/ Secret group now, message me to join!!
Old 06-21-2011, 02:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameapril View Post
I'm so glad i found this post because my little Styrofoam head needs some Major help! LOL..
she wasn't too fancy when someone gave her to me, so i thought id give her a makeover and well.. that didn't work to well either.
I hate to throw her away, so i may just decoupage her..LOL..
Here she is looking like a drag queen after her make over

lol I'd rather have one that looks like a drag queen than one that was plain. The plain ones look creepy!
Old 06-21-2011, 02:40

Here is a photo of the ones I did.

Boutique It Up
https://www.facebook.com/groups/387555291278866/ Secret group now, message me to join!!
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.