http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/disney-minnie-mickey-mouse-ribbon-52yd-store.jpg zebra grosgrain ribbon-new colors http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/20pc-1.5in-petal-flower-clips-cm.jpg http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/3-8-frog-grosgrain-ribbon.jpg cheetah animal prints grosgrain ribbon grosgrain ribbon korkers
HipGirl 12pc Grosgrain Ribbon Wrapped 1/2" Headbands + Matching Large Hair Bow Alligator Clips. Interchangable Assorted Fashion Accessory for Girl Women Teen Kid Toddler Children Adult

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 06-13-2011, 12:53

Default Sequin Headbands

A friend of mine brought me several yards of this stretchy, sequined stuff to make headbands out of. I've seen these on several sites, but haven't attempted them myself. Do any of you ladies make these? If so, I have a couple questions: 1. How big? The baby's head is 17 inches so do I just cut it to 15? 2. Do you hand sew, or what?

Thanks so much for your helpful answers.

God bless.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:36

Default Re: Sequin Headbands

I don't make them, it's just more convienent to buy them already made but I make foe headbands and I'd do it the same way, I use crochet headbands as a guide and cut to that length then you can hand stitch or use a machine and sew the ends together.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:36

I've made a few of them. I had to hand sew them because my machine kept getting jammed up by the sequins. I don't remember the size I made them though. When I get my car unpacked I will measure them.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:01

I make and sell a ton of these, but more for pre-teens and teens than for babies.

The sequin headbands I have purchased already made are all too small, they are actually tight on my 2 year old, so they may fit a baby. I don't sew mine, I tried that, but the way the material is made it seems to pull againist the stitches, so I now hot glue them. Other than a few (okay more than a few) burned fingers, I haven't had any problem with them, and my teen daughter and her friends have definately stress tested them!
Old 06-13-2011, 03:09

I've made several of these for my daughter...I use the narrow hairbands that you can buy anywhere and hotglue the sequin trim around the entire thing, this keeps the sequin piece from losing its stretchy-ness...
Old 06-13-2011, 04:36

Wow, several different ways to do it. Not sure where she got the material but am so reluctant to try it. I'm just gonna have to get my big gir panties on and give it a whirl. At least I have a lot of yardage to play with. Thanks so much for the replies.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-custom-dressed-kids View Post
I make and sell a ton of these, but more for pre-teens and teens than for babies.

The sequin headbands I have purchased already made are all too small, they are actually tight on my 2 year old, so they may fit a baby. I don't sew mine, I tried that, but the way the material is made it seems to pull againist the stitches, so I now hot glue them. Other than a few (okay more than a few) burned fingers, I haven't had any problem with them, and my teen daughter and her friends have definately stress tested them!
Never even thought to hot glue it! I will def. have to do that next time!
Old 06-14-2011, 10:04

I make these - I actually purchaesed some premade ones last time because they were so cheap. I couldn't hard buy the material to make them. However they are glued. After my last show where is was 95 degrees I will be having to sew over top of them. The glue was getting soft.

I have found that sewing is the best way to have these secure for repeated use. You will need to use a ball point needle. I have used both a straight stitch and a zigzag stitch. Anymore I just use a straight stitch across and then reverse so it's strong and won't unravel.

I sell these more towards the older girls - softball, volleyball etc. but there is a new trend to the smaller sizes for toddlers.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:27

I have never seen anyone but the teens wearing these, and since the sequins can come off (especially towards the ends), just make sure to add a disclaimer!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstimpert View Post
I make these - I actually purchaesed some premade ones last time because they were so cheap. I couldn't hard buy the material to make them. However they are glued. After my last show where is was 95 degrees I will be having to sew over top of them. The glue was getting soft.

I have found that sewing is the best way to have these secure for repeated use. You will need to use a ball point needle. I have used both a straight stitch and a zigzag stitch. Anymore I just use a straight stitch across and then reverse so it's strong and won't unravel.

I sell these more towards the older girls - softball, volleyball etc. but there is a new trend to the smaller sizes for toddlers.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:20

i use my wood burner and melt the ends together..i feel that gives them a really good joining. if u use a clean wood burner, u get very little residue left over and it looks clean that way. i do this w/ elastic headbands too! love it and then wrap the "joint" w/ your ribbon to make it interchangeable. =)
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif