printed bottle caps fabric tape stripe ribbon mini bows 7/8" saddle stitch grosgrain ribbon crochet headband trim

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 06-10-2011, 06:17
Default What's your tutu preference?

Hello all, with your experience, what is your preference when it comes to making tutus?
Hand tied or sewn?
Elastic or ribbon waist? Benefit of one over the other?
For now, I'm doing hand tied on elastic and love the way they come out, the knots are super tight and I use tons of tulle so they are very full and gorgeous! But I was wondering whether I need to sew them to make them more secure?
Still learning a lot and would appreciate some feedback, thanks for your time!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2011, 06:26
Default Re: What's your tutu preference?

I machine stitch the elastic together but slip tie the knots and use plenty, like you do.
I've never had ONE complaint of any tulle coming off or anyting. To the contrary, I've had people tell me that months and months later the tutu still looks brand new!
If it ain't broke.....
Old 06-10-2011, 08:05

I do both, and i like the tied better, IMO it is a lot fuller, i do make sewn ones if a customer requests it
Old 06-14-2011, 05:45

Hand tie & then stitch over the knots & once on each side, so they don't spin on the elastic or get the elastic twisted up.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:24

I like tied best, I do most of mine on the crochet headband material.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:24

I do hand-tied because it is easier and faster for me. I started using elastic but I have since went to the 2 3/4" headbands and they stretch really far and I just use those now. Of course if I am making one for a little baby or a bigger girl, I might have to elastic. I have also used a 1" headband as a test and it stretched really far out before I finished but I actually found someone whose daughter could fit it and I gave them a discount.
Sponsored Links