printed bottle caps fabric tape stripe ribbon mini bows 7/8" saddle stitch grosgrain ribbon crochet headband trim

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 05-30-2011, 08:25
Default Adventures in korking

Or 'What NOT to do when korking ribbon' lol.
I don't mind making korker, although I am clearly still learning and hopefully these lessons will lead to better korkers.

Last night I thought I'd lost a dowel rod full of ribbon, but couldn't for the life of me find it anywhere, so I made another one and went on about my evening. I tried to use the woodburner on while the ribbon was still on the dowel, and that really didn't work, and I burned one of my dowels. So, I cut them all by hand, and then use the woodburner to seal the ends. I'm only making a pair of minis and a small one (3"), but that's still a lot of cutting/sealing!

Then I went to make dinner, and the fun really began. I turn the oven back on, obviously to a much higher temp. As I'm standing there, I notice an odd smell...I'm sure many of us have been there. I check in the oven and see a blob smoking on the bottom of the oven and thought that was it, bewildered how a chunk of ribbon melted off and got to the bottom of the oven. I turn it off and we decide it's best to turn off the a/c and open windows in the 90 degree heat. We left to go to dinner since we couldn't use the oven and the entire place reeked of burnt plastic, I'm sure those fumes aren't healthy!

When we got home I discovered my missing dowel rod, it had somehow fallen off the cookie sheet and was melting to the oven rack. And to add to it, this was ribbon I hadn't ordered extra of because I didn't intend to kork it! lol

And the cherry on top? I realized this morning I've been cutting the korker wrong!! I was trying to cut it around the curl with the woodburner, that should have tipped me off. After looking at korkers others have made I realized what I've been doing wrong. Luckily, my customer is my mom, and she will love them anyway, but I feel terrible that I did it wrong, and I don't have time to order new ribbon!

So in future, I will order extra ribbon, I will get a sheet cake pan so my dowels can't fall off, and I will cut across the curl not around. hopefully you all found humor in my story, and I learned a few things!

Last edited by Aeonix; 05-30-2011 at 08:30. Reason: fix mistake
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2011, 06:41
Default Re: Adventures in korking

Oh bless your heart! Well at least you got to be served dinner and not cook lol. I'm sure you'll laugh later.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:38

I'm glad it's not just me who has does these sorts of things!!!!

I had used the grill to cook dinner (my oven is all in one, oven/grill) and had finished cooking and turned it off. I waited about 15-20 minutes turned the oven on and put in my dowels. Sat down to eat my dinner and got a phone call from our friends in Scotland.

As I was eating and chatting I could smell the korker rods cooking and thought, " Oh they are nearly done" Walked into the kitchen and it was full of smoke. Opened the oven door, and found my dowels and pegs on fire, and the ribbon melted into a puddle on the cookie tray, because even though the oven was on, the grill element was still red hot. Grabbed the tray and put it outside on the porch.

It took about two weeks to get the smell of burnt ribbon and wood out of my house.

Last edited by Rosie2577; 05-30-2011 at 08:39. Reason: added re: grill element
Old 05-31-2011, 10:21

O my....
Old 06-01-2011, 06:00

Wow, I'm glad I don't grill lol. I could so see that happening to me!

I'll post pics later of how the korkers came out, I am happy to say even with my mishaps I still managed to make them lol.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:04

Oh yes we've all been there! Having double ovens is nice! You can also consider a layer of foil on the rack you're using to keep them from slipping through.
Sponsored Links
disney princess, mickey mouse, minnie mouse ribbon