New product--2.5' Zebra Printed Grosgrain Ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/banners/peace-sign-grosgrain-ribbon-ads.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/7-8-grosgrain-ribbon-volleyball-forest-green.jpg
New Instructions--How to make korker hair bow using a korker box hip girl boutique grosgrain ribbon korker for hair bows, hair clips, baby women, toddler, girl, adult, floral design, birthday holiday gift wrapping
New product--star ribbon for cheer bows

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 05-18-2011, 11:35

Default Re: Anyone heard of Whippy Cake?

I forgot to add the cost of having an accountant. We divide that by three to figure out the cost for my business. He handles both of our businesses and our personal taxes. I was letting the Comptroller's office do the work on my quarterly taxes but now I am taking them to our accountant.

Oh and the wear and tear of your camera should you take your own photos.

Last edited by ronnie; 05-18-2011 at 12:00.
Sponsored Links

Old 05-18-2011, 11:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurennicole630 View Post
@ronnie i completely agree that there are a lot of hidden costs that people do not think about.

i just think for me... because i'm just starting there's no way i could even get business if i charged that much. I have a hard enough time getting business when i charge $5 for a basic bow and headband...

i'd love to charge more but right now i'm just trying to get sales.

i think i really need to invest money into a better photographer like her and maybe that would help. I'm in love with her photos!

You can cut some of your costs by either not using bow cards or making blank cards and either printing a simple business name on there or have stickers printed with your business name. Keep your costs very low as you are starting out. Any sales you are making now should not even be considered a profit. Instead put all sales aside and use it to invest more into your business. Do it wisely though. The best thing you can do is learn how to make bows, headbands, and all other products to perfection. I do turn my nose when I see someone new to bowmaking charging an arm and a leg for a bow that does not come close to the quality of work I have seen out there.

The better the quality of work you produce the more you can make off of them. The most I charge for a bow is $30 and it really doesn't cost me much to make. I charge a lot for my items and the majority of my sales come from word of mouth. I had items in stores and I did not like that I would have to mass produce and work like a slave to sell for very little. Don't get me wrong I will give good discounts to customers.

I would rather make 10-15 bows and sell them for $30 than lose sleep and gain stress making 70 bows and selling them for $5/ea. The majority of my customers are people I know or my family knows. I am not out to make a killing. If I wanted to I guess I could. I just have another business to run and a family to care for.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:14

ooh they are very nice, thanks for sharing
Old 05-18-2011, 02:05

I think her pricing points are right for the clientele she seems to be focusing on. She seems to be running it like a business, so her expenses will be more. Shoot, my business license alone in my city is about $200 for my online business.

I share a booth with someone and she has a habit of undercutting others because she is not running hers like a business (no business license, no resellers license, etc)... but she is finally starting to realize that because she doesn't charge for labor she's having to work harder for a small profit %. I like to tell her that I don't believe in working for nothing. We are pretty much going to stop sharing a booth and one of the reasons is because I like to charge appropriate prices for mine and I hate that are pricing doesn't match up.

I do have to say, that why her site looks very nice I don't really think its user friendly... I can't stand when there are no breadcrumbs, but that's just me.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura612 View Post
I think her pricing points are right for the clientele she seems to be focusing on. She seems to be running it like a business, so her expenses will be more. Shoot, my business license alone in my city is about $200 for my online business.

I share a booth with someone and she has a habit of undercutting others because she is not running hers like a business (no business license, no resellers license, etc)... but she is finally starting to realize that because she doesn't charge for labor she's having to work harder for a small profit %. I like to tell her that I don't believe in working for nothing. We are pretty much going to stop sharing a booth and one of the reasons is because I like to charge appropriate prices for mine and I hate that are pricing doesn't match up.

I do have to say, that why her site looks very nice I don't really think its user friendly... I can't stand when there are no breadcrumbs, but that's just me.

That is a very good business move on your part. Not everyone knows how to do buisness right. A lot of that is knowledge. You have to factor in everything or in the end you will have nothing to show for.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurennicole630 View Post
her whole website is very professional... very upscale i think that's how she can get away with charging so much. I'm curious if she gets a lot of business.

I love her idea with photographing the foe headbands over the books
Yes, she does VERY WELL! I also love the headbands on the books idea.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by julia44 View Post
And the stuff is really nice quality too and really fast shipping for the amount of orders she gets. She has a great following. She does youtube videos too and does lots of giveaways and things on her blog and facebook. She's a great business woman and it's great to see her so successful.

I love reading successful stories like this. So happy for her!!
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.

Tags
cake, fabric flowers, whippy