New products--peelnstick double-sided-tape for lining clips
http://www.thehairbowcompany.com/assets/images/affiliateBanners/affiliateBanner3.jpg
hip girl boutique 1" metallic gold gliter sparkle ribbon
hip girl boutique grosgrain ribbon wrapped headbands for girls women baby toddler
hip girl boutique goody ponytail pigtail holder for women girl toddler baby

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 05-22-2011, 09:28
kimmisook's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,159
Default Re: help with cheer bow

Ann, my hat's off to you and anyone else who successfully makes anything other than the basic ribbon cheer bow. I know this sounds bad, but I almost hope my prospective client doesn't like the sample I made for her, because I did NOT have fun making it. The HnB worked like a charm for me this time, but the sequin fabric was very difficult for me to work with. I just had a super hard time with this bow. It took me forever and I'm not even happy with the way it looks. I know I definitely need tons of practice, but I also don't think I want to be making things that aren't any fun. Ok, my rant is over. Here's a pic of the bow. Thanks for listening!

Sandy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sequin Bow.jpg (88.0 KB, 87 views)
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 05-23-2011, 09:34
gmcks2001's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 628
Default Re: help with cheer bow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmisook View Post
Ann, my hat's off to you and anyone else who successfully makes anything other than the basic ribbon cheer bow. I know this sounds bad, but I almost hope my prospective client doesn't like the sample I made for her, because I did NOT have fun making it. The HnB worked like a charm for me this time, but the sequin fabric was very difficult for me to work with. I just had a super hard time with this bow. It took me forever and I'm not even happy with the way it looks. I know I definitely need tons of practice, but I also don't think I want to be making things that aren't any fun. Ok, my rant is over. Here's a pic of the bow. Thanks for listening!

Sandy
Sandy, I think your bow came out fabulous. Here is a trick in cutting out sequin that I have found to go alot quicker when making many bows at a time.

When making lots of the same bow, I iron my ribbons onto an uncut sheet of heat n bond first. Once are the ribbons are securely attached, I peel all of them away from the paper and iron to the wrong side of an uncut piece of sequin fabric. Once everything is nice and fused, I then cut out with a rotary cutter.

It goes a lot faster that way in my opinion. Don't give up. It takes longer to make one bow than it does when making many of the same one.

It will get easier I promise.

Nice job on the bow BTW. Love the colors.

Ann
__________________
"Saving the world from pitiful looking cheer bows one cheerleader at a time!"

Find me on Facebook at Cheer Bows by Cheer 'N Bowz
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 05-23-2011, 10:03
kimmisook's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,159
Default Re: help with cheer bow

Ann,

Thank you for your compliment on the bow. And...your tip for the sequin fabric - I'm def going to have to try that. It already sounds like it would be much easier that way. I can't wait to try it. I'm even going to try it on just one bow to see if I like it. Thanks again for the sequin fabric tip - I'll let you know how it works out

Sandy

PS- if they DO like the bow...approx how much would you charge for it?


Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcks2001 View Post
Sandy, I think your bow came out fabulous. Here is a trick in cutting out sequin that I have found to go alot quicker when making many bows at a time.

When making lots of the same bow, I iron my ribbons onto an uncut sheet of heat n bond first. Once are the ribbons are securely attached, I peel all of them away from the paper and iron to the wrong side of an uncut piece of sequin fabric. Once everything is nice and fused, I then cut out with a rotary cutter.

It goes a lot faster that way in my opinion. Don't give up. It takes longer to make one bow than it does when making many of the same one.

It will get easier I promise.

Nice job on the bow BTW. Love the colors.

Ann
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 05-23-2011, 11:54
gmcks2001's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 628
Default Re: help with cheer bow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmisook View Post
Ann,

Thank you for your compliment on the bow. And...your tip for the sequin fabric - I'm def going to have to try that. It already sounds like it would be much easier that way. I can't wait to try it. I'm even going to try it on just one bow to see if I like it. Thanks again for the sequin fabric tip - I'll let you know how it works out

Sandy

PS- if they DO like the bow...approx how much would you charge for it?
Normally, my sequin bows start at $10.00. If I were to do a two color sequin 1/2 & 1/2, I would charge $13.00 for the bow. Since only one side of yours is sequin, I would charge $11 or $12.00.
__________________
"Saving the world from pitiful looking cheer bows one cheerleader at a time!"

Find me on Facebook at Cheer Bows by Cheer 'N Bowz
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 05-23-2011, 03:01
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 5
Default Re: help with cheer bow

Hi Ann,

I have another question regarding a cheer bow? I saw one with a star cut out and went shopping yesterday at diff craft stores looking for some kind of die cut punch? You were so knowledgable about the other bow I thought Id ask again about this kind. I made an attempt of tracing a star and cutting it, not pretty..... lol Thanks again Ann!!

PS>. Im going to post pics this week of what I have made so far!
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 05-23-2011, 08:12
kimmisook's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,159
Default Re: help with cheer bow

well, i guess i'm off the hook! i quoted her $11 and was willing to go down to $10 but she came back and said the bows they have purchased before cost $7. i very politely told her if she could get good bows for cheaper, then to go for it. i hope i wasn't rude, but i can't just give them away. oh well...i tried!

Sandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcks2001 View Post
Normally, my sequin bows start at $10.00. If I were to do a two color sequin 1/2 & 1/2, I would charge $13.00 for the bow. Since only one side of yours is sequin, I would charge $11 or $12.00.
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 05-23-2011, 08:26
gmcks2001's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 628
Default Re: help with cheer bow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmisook View Post
well, i guess i'm off the hook! i quoted her $11 and was willing to go down to $10 but she came back and said the bows they have purchased before cost $7. i very politely told her if she could get good bows for cheaper, then to go for it. i hope i wasn't rude, but i can't just give them away. oh well...i tried!

Sandy
Don't worry Sandy. When they purchase those $7 bows, you will be the one they come to to fix them. LOL! $11 is more than fair. At $10 it is quite a bargain. We put a lot of time and creative effort into our bows. It is only fair we get paid what they're worth. There will be programs who are willing to compensate you and happily.

Chin up on a great job!
__________________
"Saving the world from pitiful looking cheer bows one cheerleader at a time!"

Find me on Facebook at Cheer Bows by Cheer 'N Bowz
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 05-23-2011, 08:28
gmcks2001's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 628
Default Re: help with cheer bow

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraH View Post
Hi Ann,

I have another question regarding a cheer bow? I saw one with a star cut out and went shopping yesterday at diff craft stores looking for some kind of die cut punch? You were so knowledgable about the other bow I thought Id ask again about this kind. I made an attempt of tracing a star and cutting it, not pretty..... lol Thanks again Ann!!

PS>. Im going to post pics this week of what I have made so far!
Hi Laura! I use a Sizzix BigKick and star die to make my cutouts. Hope that helps.
__________________
"Saving the world from pitiful looking cheer bows one cheerleader at a time!"

Find me on Facebook at Cheer Bows by Cheer 'N Bowz
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 05-24-2011, 08:31
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 5
Default Re: help with cheer bow

Ann,

I saw a Fiskar large 1.5 inch Die cut punch, would this work for ribbon cutting?
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 05-24-2011, 09:09
gmcks2001's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 628
Default Re: help with cheer bow

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraH View Post
Ann,

I saw a Fiskar large 1.5 inch Die cut punch, would this work for ribbon cutting?
Sadly, I have not had success using a die cut punch. While it worked well on paper, I was never successful as getting ribbon to cut.
__________________
"Saving the world from pitiful looking cheer bows one cheerleader at a time!"

Find me on Facebook at Cheer Bows by Cheer 'N Bowz
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


150-forum-ads
hip girl boutique ballet dance gymnastic skating bun cover rhinestone hip girl boutique 40pc grosgrain ribbon wrapped 2 inch snap clips barrettes hip girl boutique grosgrain ribbon korker for hair bows clips
hip girl boutique 18pc grosgrain mini bow tie hair bow clips for baby infant toddler women adult
hip girl sparkle glitter headbands for dancing ballet stage cheerleading girls women high school college
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/3in-spike-bows-rainbow.jpg

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:22.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0
Hip Girl Boutique Instructions - Copyright © 2007

Ad Management by RedTyger