printed bottle caps fabric tape http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/categories/rhine-stone-flat-back-title-sm.jpg stripe ribbon mini bows 7/8" saddle stitch grosgrain ribbon crochet headband trim

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 05-16-2011, 09:03

Default Editable PDF Bottle Cap Sheets

I'm designing some bottle cap sheets and see lots of sellers out there that say "With editable pdf pages, you can type in your own names, initials or other text to customize as needed. Open sheet with either Acrobat or Reader".

Every time I save a file as a PDF in Photoshop after designing it I cant seem to edit anything when I open it in Reader X. When I Google the problem everything I come across says you can't edit text in Reader. Lots of sellers have the above statement so just curious if someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

The other question I have is don't you think people would prefer being able to edit things with the image editing program on a jpg rather then a PDF file. Seems it would be easier.

Thanks for any info anyone can provide!
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-300.jpg
Old 05-16-2011, 09:11

Default Re: Editable PDF Bottle Cap Sheets

I wish I could help you here but I'm clueless. Sorry! I just wanted to post because at first glance I though your title said Edible bottle cap sheets! LOL! Now that would be somethin'!

Jeana
Old 05-16-2011, 09:26

Lmao thanks Jeana, I had to make sure when I was posting it that it didn't say that so I know why you might have read it that way
Old 05-16-2011, 11:07

Hi You can't edit .pdf files in Reader, you have to the full Adobe Acrobat ... here is a link to their program that does it:
http://www.adobe.com/products/acroba...?promoid=HRZAF
Old 05-16-2011, 11:15

Thanks for the reply. From everything I've read that's kinda of what I came up with as well. Good to have some reassurance from someone else.

Not really sure why people would sell the 4x6 editable sheets for PDF if a person has to have a $200 program to edit them. I see PDF formats about 10-2 ratio. Most sellers don't even mention Acrobat all they say is Adobe Reader which is a different program.

So making cap images it sounds like it's going to be easier to do them as jpg and write up a tutorial on how to edit them using a some free software or something.

Any other ideas or thoughts on this subject would be highly appreciated.

Thanks again !
Old 05-16-2011, 11:35

You don't need to have the latest version of Adobe Acrobat, you can get older versions for quite a bit less. I've seen them on Ebay. I've also searched google and there looks to be some other software out there other than Acrobat that might work, but I've never worked with those.

When the sellers of the editable .pdf files say Adobe Reader, it's because that's the free version that folks need in order to add their text and print it out.

I used to sell bottlecap images on Etsy, and I used to do customized ones as well. You can save the images as .jpg or .png files and it would work fine for customization of those folks who buy your bottlecap images.

Oh, and FYI, Adobe also has a great program where you can buy their software at quite a discount if you are a student or educator.

Last edited by lilbabybumblebee; 05-16-2011 at 11:38.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:46

OK, now I'm back to being confused . So there is a free version that lets you just edit text? I know from what I read that you should be able to edit text but it won't let you save the file. Just lets you edit it long enough to print it out.

I'm actually a photographer so I have the latest Photoshop stuff etc. Guess I was just going to try the PDF way for people if it was easier for them to edit. But if it takes them as much time as it does me to figure out how to use it I'm just going to stick with jpg or png files. Just thought if all the sellers are doing the PDF format that maybe that's the norm and I would lose sales if I didn't offer that.

Myself I would rather have a jpg so I could print them out at Costco, Wall mart etc.

Just had a little girl and finding it to be more cost efficient (and better for her) to stay at home then to go the day care route so trying to find things I can do on Etsy lol.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:54

Sorry, if I confused you

Adobe Acrobat Reader let's you edit text and print it out if the original PDF page has the form already incorporated into it.

So, let's say for example, I made bottlecap images that have backgrounds and I want to leave them blank so folks can add their own text. I can then save the file as a PDF file using Photoshop. I would then open up the PDF file in Adobe Acrobat Professional and then use the tools in that program to make those blank areas into form fields. Then you save the file.

I can then distribute the PDF file and people can then use the free Adobe Acrobat Reader to open the PDF file and add their text to those form fields and print them out. They will not be able to save the file, unless the person who made the original PDF file in Professional has allowed them to.

I hope that helps explain it better.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:57

I found CutePDF and it looks like with their program you can do the same things as Adobe Professional and make forms. You can even try it out, and it's quite a bit cheaper, only $50 bucks.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:01

NOW I get it. So I would have to have Acrobat in order to make the PDF file for them to edit in Adobe Reader. I GOT IT !!!! I'll go check out Cute as well. Thanks a ton I think I get it now.
Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies