key fob hardware marabou cherry-blossom-silk-hair-flower 3/8" double ruffle ribbon free tutorial-bottle caps felt circle http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/3in-spike-18pc-set.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 05-04-2011, 07:06

Default how to make a tutu filled with pom poms?????

LAdies,

First of all I'm trying to think of a really good tip to share! What a great way for me to give back to the forum that has been invaluable to me! I'm not sure I can offer anything that you ladies don't already know!

I was asked to make a tutu filled with pom poms this week. I've concluded that no sew is simply not an option. Can anyone help me out? Tips, tutorials...anything?!

THanks in advance!
Sponsored Links

Old 05-04-2011, 08:09

Default Re: how to make a tutu filled with pom poms?????

McCalls 3365 (out-of-print) is basically a dress with a tulle "bag" overlay into which you place flowers, etc. before stitching together. Here's a homemade version:

www.favecrafts.com/Wedding-Crafts/Flower-Girl-Dress

I've sewn many tulle-covered dresses, but [disclaimer] never made a tutu, so maybe there's a method out there, but... I don't see how knotting tulle strips could be possible here. Sewing yardage does appear to be your only option. Also, I don't see how you can do it without some kind of a lining because the tulle would be unbearably itchy at the waist. The example above uses a onesie for that purpose.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:43

Go to youcanmakethis.com and look for the Boutique Filled Sewn Tutu. It is a gREAT tutorial - the only one I use, and people LOVE it! They sell very well for me.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:45

Here is what I did. I used a length of tule off of the bolt at walmart.
I folded it over like a hot dog bun.
Sewed up all sides but one ( a short side ).
Then I sewed a tube along the edge so I could put the elastic band in.
Then I filled it with pom pom balls.
Then sewed up the open edge.
Then sewed the tutu together.

Thats how I did it. Careful and use enough tulle or it will look thin!
Old 05-04-2011, 09:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by sla762 View Post
Go to youcanmakethis.com and look for the Boutique Filled Sewn Tutu. It is a gREAT tutorial - the only one I use, and people LOVE it! They sell very well for me.
This one? www.youcanmakethis.com/info/featured-products/Fancy-Filled-Tutu-BONUS-40-tutu-recipes-too.htm

Looks very interesting! I tend to forget that my sewing skills are basically from another era, and that soooo much more is available now than when I was still sewing for little girls.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:13

[QUOTEede;1076663]McCalls 3365 (out-of-print) is basically a dress with a tulle "bag" overlay into which you place flowers, etc. before stitching together. Here's a homemade version:

www.favecrafts.com/Wedding-Crafts/Flower-Girl-Dress

I've sewn many tulle-covered dresses, but [disclaimer] never made a tutu, so maybe there's a method out there, but... I don't see how knotting tulle strips could be possible here. Sewing yardage does appear to be your only option. Also, I don't see how you can do it without some kind of a lining because the tulle would be unbearably itchy at the waist. The example above uses a onesie for that purpose.

[/QUOTE

I used a 'no-sew' experimental method for a knotted tutu that went like this:

I cut my tulle about the length of what you would for a tutu dress. Gathered and folded that piece as you would if you were about to knot it, then gathered and folded in half again, then knotted it on the ribbon. This created a normal, double layer tutu look but there was a pocket lacking two sides) at the bottom of one of each of the strips. KWIM? Then I spent several hours filling each pocket with 1 lg and 2 sm pom poms and closing the seam on each side with fabric glueI'll post a pic.

After not achieving results up to my standards and eventually losing interest because of this.....I decided that it must be sewn. Instead of doing another experiment I wanted to do it the right way and here I am!

I'll finish it eventually and the finished product will be sell-able but again it was an experimental method that I wouldn't do again unless I was stranded on a desert island with no access to a needle and thread, had all the time in the world and could work out a trade with someone: a tutu for a trip home! Seriously.....

Anywho I guess it's going to be sewn so THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your help!
Old 05-04-2011, 10:00

AGREE - has to be sewn.
I tried one as an experiment, and gathered along the top - hot glued to a 1.5" ribbon as the waist and folded the ribbon over and glued again (wrap around tutu), then at the sides I also hot glued ribbon (kind of like using bias tape?).
Only problem I didn't make it full enough and the hot glue was probably not the best option - was too stiff. May work with fabric glue?

Probably just time to get out the old sewing machine! LOL!
Sponsored Links