http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/rock-star-ribbon-offray-7-8-satin.jpg   http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/7-8-flower-grosgrain-ribbon.JPG Tested! Snap Clips Shipping Supplies Alligator Clips--Silver E-6000 http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/5-8-hello-kitty-satin-ribbon-orchid.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 05-01-2011, 04:45

Default sealing ends to stop fraying?

After reading the threads on here- I see most people using a wood burning tool or lighter or candle--I usually burn mine but a friend of mine uses clear fingernail polish..anyone else use it?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2011, 04:48

Default Re: sealing ends to stop fraying?

i had never heard of that but i would think that it would take longer to finish up your projects while you wait for the polish to dry. where as the lighter, candle or woodburner (my fave) are quicker. JMO though
Old 05-01-2011, 04:50

I tried the polish earlier today and my ribbon kept sticking together but otherwise it seemed ok...I think i'll stick to the lighter--well actually i am going to do the candle idea I found from other ladies. Save my poor thumb lol
Old 05-01-2011, 04:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2cooper View Post
I tried the polish earlier today and my ribbon kept sticking together but otherwise it seemed ok...I think i'll stick to the lighter--well actually i am going to do the candle idea I found from other ladies. Save my poor thumb lol
lol, that's why i went with the woodburner to save my poor thumb. i was getting a callous!
Old 05-01-2011, 04:58

I've burnt myself so many times I'm suprised I have skin on my thumb to be honest...I love the candle idea and can't believe I didn't think of it myself LOL
Old 05-01-2011, 05:04

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by elly760 View Post
lol, that's why i went with the woodburner to save my poor thumb. i was getting a callous!
Quote:
I've burnt myself so many times I'm suprised I have skin on my thumb to be honest...I love the candle idea and can't believe I didn't think of it myself LOL

electric lighters

Old 05-01-2011, 05:09

I like the long lighters (flame throwers...lol) used for lighting candles. I get them at the dollar store, and they don't have a safety just a trigger so it is easy on the thumb.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:14

I have the one that is called "Duraflame". Bought it at Home Hardware.

It's the type that they usually sell for lighting grills, haha
Old 05-01-2011, 08:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by ordi5103 View Post
I like the long lighters (flame throwers...lol) used for lighting candles. I get them at the dollar store, and they don't have a safety just a trigger so it is easy on the thumb.
Agree'd, I got about 20 or so from Target in the dollar bin last year(then they went to 50 a week later). Great on the thumb, cheap and they work nicely.

I used a candle when I first started and its not easy. Lighter colored ribbon may get some black smoke substance on it and its hard to control how much you burn.

I wouldn't use nailpolish too much of a pain plus what if small babies put the bow in their mouth. I wouldn't want to risk anything.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ordi5103 View Post

Me too! I cut everything with my woodburner but then for some things I need to shape on my sculptures I use those. Soooo much easier on the thumb and I find it is easier to control than the little lighters.