new products--pop dot diy pinwheel bows

http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/no-liner-bottle-cap-combo.jpg

http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/7-8-grosgrain-ribbon-soft-ball.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/7-8-dizzy-bees-ribbon-grosgrain-combo-.JPG
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/ladybug-applique-red-dot.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/half-wrapped%2050mm-snap-clips.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/flat-back-pearl-shpk.JPG

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 04-20-2011, 10:37

Default Tutu questions

I've made tutus before but for my girls so it didn't really matter if they were perfect. Well I've been asked by a photographer to make a couple for a set of infant twins she's going to be photographing soon. I'd like to try making the ones w/ the crochet headbands that I've seen. What size headbands do you use? Also what size do you cut the tulle to? Thanks!
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:46

Default Re: Tutu questions

I make tutus on crochet headbands all the time. Most my customers prefer them on it (& I do too, because it can fit from NB up to 3/4/5 years sometimes)

I use 2.5 inch, thats just what I had available and they seem to work good. I can fit a LOT of tulle on it (and the perk is because you can see how many holes you have - you know how many strips you need. I usually do 2 per knot.)

For the newborn ones Ive done - I did them about 6-7'' long, so I cut my strips double that length.

HTH

Heres some of mine on the headbands
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Canada Day Tutu edit.jpg (42.6 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg Punky Tutu (Fuschia & Black) edit.jpg (44.5 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Tinkerbell Inspired Edit.jpg (34.2 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg Tutu Edit 1.jpg (33.8 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by gen_bug; 04-20-2011 at 10:50. Reason: photo
Old 04-20-2011, 10:48

I actually read a thread on here once about a 'photographers tutu' or something. It was basically tied onto a metal or plastic headband, so when the babies were lying down, you put it on their waist facing up and no part was under them getting squished. It had a pic too and you couldn't even tell it was on a plastic headband! worth trying for infant pictures.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt'nNat View Post
I actually read a thread on here once about a 'photographers tutu' or something. It was basically tied onto a metal or plastic headband, so when the babies were lying down, you put it on their waist facing up and no part was under them getting squished. It had a pic too and you couldn't even tell it was on a plastic headband! worth trying for infant pictures.
Ive made a couple of these and its REALLY easy. I just put some glue under the knots on the end and tightened it up, then put some satin ribbon on the ends to make it look "finished" - the photographer who bought them loved ussing them

Mr.Monkey is my newborn substitute lol...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo tutu 1.jpg (108.3 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg photo tutu 3.jpg (77.4 KB, 47 views)
Old 04-21-2011, 07:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen_bug View Post
I make tutus on crochet headbands all the time. Most my customers prefer them on it (& I do too, because it can fit from NB up to 3/4/5 years sometimes)

I use 2.5 inch, thats just what I had available and they seem to work good. I can fit a LOT of tulle on it (and the perk is because you can see how many holes you have - you know how many strips you need. I usually do 2 per knot.)

For the newborn ones Ive done - I did them about 6-7'' long, so I cut my strips double that length.

HTH

They turned out great ~ very pretty!

Quote:
Ive made a couple of these and its REALLY easy. I just put some glue under the knots on the end and tightened it up, then put some satin ribbon on the ends to make it look "finished" - the photographer who bought them loved ussing them

Mr.Monkey is my newborn substitute lol...
Love it! You did a great job!
Old 04-21-2011, 08:05

Thank you
Old 04-21-2011, 08:47

I have done a couple for photographers now. It is really popular with them to have them done on ribbon. Especially with newborns, because all you basically have to do is lay them over them. Just a thought. If you make them 18 inch she can use them for older kids as well.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:06

Quote:

HTH

Love them!
Old 04-21-2011, 09:23

I love the idea of putting the tutu on a headband. So easy to put on and take off.
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg