New product--flat back resin
Hipgirl 40 Yards 3/8" Grosgrain Fabric Ribbon Polka Dot Set For Gift Package Wrapping, Hair Bow Clips & Accessories Making, Crafting, Sewing, Wedding Decor, Boy Girl Baby Shower-20x2yd Swiss Polka Dot
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/banners/heatnbond-lt-ad.jpg
New product--frog grosgrain ribbon
New product--5/8' dippin' dots grosgrain ribbon
New product--pop dots

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 04-18-2011, 01:22

Default Can anyone help with tutu sizes? I really messed up my first one.

OK I just finished my first tutu but it's way bigger than I meant it to be. I measured my 4 month old and she was 16 inches and somehow the tutu ended up being 36 inches. I cut the elastic 17in to leave a little room to sew it together. I really have no idea how this happened. I left it on the back of a chair for a few days because I did a little here and there. Would that have caused it to stretch? Also I wrapped ribbon around the top. Anyway what size would you call it? I can't use it so I might as well sell it. Would it be like a teen size or a womans medium? I'm so lost.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2011, 04:56

Default Re: Can anyone help with tutu sizes? I really messed up my first one.

You should always start with 3-4" LESS than you want it to end up since stretching just normally happens when you're making it. I had so many in the beginning that near the very end, I'd just squish the tulle on either side, cut off inches of elastic and sew the ends together to make it the right size.
Putting it on the chair may have stretched it out too. Ribbon wrapping shouldn't have but it all depends on if you stretched it while doing that too.
I have no idea what size 36" waist would be. I'm sure someone else can help. You'll learn as you go along. Believe me, nobody made the perfect tutu the first time!
Old 04-18-2011, 07:21

I had the same thing happen to my first one. Right now I make most of mine on crochet headbands, cause they stretch great and last the kids a long time.

But one thing that has helped is I put the elastic or the headband around my thigh/leg and then it doesnt stretch out as much
Old 04-18-2011, 08:48

I make my elastics about 3 inches shorter than the length I want. So, 16" waist = 13" elastic. As you add the tulle on it stretches the elastic out. It can be very confusing at first because so many people say to add inches (I don't get it).

Also, when I do my tutus, i stretch the elastic around something that would be the same size as the waist. I have various things around the house, like, a lid that is perfect for an 18" waist tutu, or a smaller lid for a 16" tutu. That way it isn't stretched out more than I need and it's easier for me to spread the tulle around evenly.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:36

Ive usually ask my custom order customers the waist size, subtract two inches but do NOT sew ends until I am done JUST to be sure. I also do not tie the knots tightly on the elastic (it takes away the integrity of the elastic) but leave them to where I can slide a pinky under the knot. I always, regardless of size, safety pin my elastic around a new roll of paper towels, do my tutu ty'in, then adjust the length of the waist accordingly. This leaves me a nice flush backing and I can easily measure my progress and the length. Wish I could take credit for that but saw it on a tut somewhere.
If I showed you some of the tutus I did when I first started! OMG! *shame* Trial and error baby!! HTH!!
Old 04-18-2011, 06:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekoda View Post
Ive usually ask my custom order customers the waist size, subtract two inches but do NOT sew ends until I am done JUST to be sure. I also do not tie the knots tightly on the elastic (it takes away the integrity of the elastic) but leave them to where I can slide a pinky under the knot. I always, regardless of size, safety pin my elastic around a new roll of paper towels, do my tutu ty'in, then adjust the length of the waist accordingly. This leaves me a nice flush backing and I can easily measure my progress and the length. Wish I could take credit for that but saw it on a tut somewhere.
If I showed you some of the tutus I did when I first started! OMG! *shame* Trial and error baby!! HTH!!
This is pretty much exactly how I do it. I never sew the waistband till after I have tied on almost all of the tulle. Then I can be sure the waist size is exact.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkyPrincesswear View Post
This is pretty much exactly how I do it. I never sew the waistband till after I have tied on almost all of the tulle. Then I can be sure the waist size is exact.
Love the pic of the tutu in your av I made a color block one about 3 weeks ago.. very bright!