Ribbon Slides--for 3/8' Ribbons 10pc 1/4' Birch Wood Dowel Rods For Korkers 20pc Glue Stick For Hair Bows, Hair Clips, Crafts Wood Burning Tool With 4 Tips--For Sealing Ribbon Ends French Barrettes-Silver 40pc Pastel Goody Ouchless No Metal Small Pony'Os-3.5',2MM Thick http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/tulle-tutu-orchid.jpg 6pc 1.75' Satin Rose for Scrapbooking, Hair Clips, Wedding-Combo mini-bow-tie-diy-bows-grosgrain-ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/my_ads/hip-girl-boutique-llc-twitter-100.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 04-12-2011, 02:22

Default Polymer Clay Centers Falling Apart!

Hello Ladies. I have so many requests for the polymer clay centers right now. I buy them off of Etsy, but the last few bows I have made with the polymer centers some of the pieces have fallen off just while I am trying to attach to the bow. I dont know if there is something I can cover the polymer clay center with to make it hold better or if this is just a normal thing. I dont really want to offer these to my customers if they just fall apart. Please HELP! Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:47

Default Re: Polymer Clay Centers Falling Apart!

I think I've heard of people using super glue? How frustrating!
Old 04-12-2011, 09:31

I put e6000 for my centers. I dont rely on hotglue
Old 04-14-2011, 06:54

this is the most tricky part of p/clay . . . glueing a porous surface to a non-porous surface.

here's a link that will probably tell you more than you want to know! scroll down to this section . . .

E-6000 & GOOP .......Silicone glues & caulks?
("one-part epoxy" glues)

http://glassattic.com/polymer/glues-Diluent.htm
Old 04-14-2011, 09:06

Or you could lightly scuff the back of the center with a rough sandpaper creating grooves for the adhesive to adhere to .
Old 04-14-2011, 09:24

As crazy as this sounds I make almost all of my bows with clay centers..and I use beacon fabri-tac to glue the centers to the ribbon..hold there for a few moments and then it is good to go..never had one fall off yet..
Old 04-15-2011, 02:42

Thank you ladies for all the good advice. I use the E6000 to adhere the center to the bow, but I am talking about the little pieces of the actual clay piece coming off. Like for instance, I made one Monday night that was an alligator that had a hair bow and when I was holding the alligator to secure with glue to the bow the little piece of the bow (on the alligator) came off. It is so tiny that I dont think I could glue it back on the alligator and if I take the bow off completely then there will be little pieces of the yellow bow left. I have had others do the same thing, elephant trunks come off, ears off of faces and other figures. I am having problems with the polymer clay centers themselves, not getting them onto the bow.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:37

That has happen to me when I first started make clay centers.
What I learned is to add Liquid Sculpty before baking to seal everything together and then add the glaze after they come out and cool down.
Your people who are making them probably do not know about this, it was a learning lesson for me.
Just ask the people who you are buying them from to please do this.
Thats all i can advise
I made many bows just to have the center fall apart
Old 04-15-2011, 05:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by my6girlz View Post
That has happen to me when I first started make clay centers.
What I learned is to add Liquid Sculpty before baking to seal everything together and then add the glaze after they come out and cool down.
Your people who are making them probably do not know about this, it was a learning lesson for me.
Just ask the people who you are buying them from to please do this.
Thats all i can advise
I made many bows just to have the center fall apart
Ditto this. You can use the liquid sculpey to put bond two baked pieces together too. So you can use it for repair. I only use liquid sculpey to put my clay pieces on my center ribbon. I put a dab on the back of my finished/ baked clay piece, then put a layer over the ribbon too & then bake again for 15 min. The ribbon is embedded in the liquid sculpey and it is incredibly strong.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:26

Thin delicate parts such as elephant trunks may need reinforced with wire when being created to prevent breakage. The liquid Sculpey suggestion is good too. When I make my own polymer bow centers I try not to avoid thin delicate parts and use liquid Sculpey to attach any parts like ears, hair, hats, etc. while I am making them. After baking they are very sturdy. I avoid buying any centers with parts that look like they need wire inside because most likely that important step was skipped. You could always ask the seller prior to purchasing.
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults