http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/rock-star-ribbon-offray-7-8-satin.jpg   http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/7-8-flower-grosgrain-ribbon.JPG Tested! Snap Clips Shipping Supplies Alligator Clips--Silver E-6000 http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/5-8-hello-kitty-satin-ribbon-orchid.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 04-10-2011, 07:46

Question Are flattened painted bottlecaps safe?

I know there are two different kinds of flattened painted bottlecaps... factory and homemade. But I was wondering, are they safe?

A few of Christine's toddler friends were over at the house on Friday and I noticed that one of the younger girls (she's almost 4) was sucking and biting on her flattened, painted bottlecap necklace. Her mom called her over to put more sun screen on her and I noticed the paint was chipped off in several different places. Then, I noticed a small chip of it on her bottom lip. After I pointed it out to the mom, she took the necklace off her and sent her into the pool.

I'm wondering... is the paint child-safe and non-toxic? Is it lead free?
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies
Old 04-10-2011, 08:14

Default Re: Are flattened painted bottlecaps safe?

Hmmm I have no clue sorry Maxine. The only bottle caps I have are factory painted and I think they only scratch not chip.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:30

I think you would need to look at the manufacturer and what type of paint they use.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBES View Post
Hmmm I have no clue sorry Maxine. The only bottle caps I have are factory painted and I think they only scratch not chip.
Thanks Rubes. Seeing as how this one chipped off, it's probably not factory painted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromMyasCloset View Post
I think you would need to look at the manufacturer and what type of paint they use.
She'd have no idea who manufactured it. It was given to her daughter in a birthday goodie bag.

I'm really wondering now. I'm beginning to think they're not safe. I wish I knew what the homemade ones were painted with?
Old 04-10-2011, 12:42

Mine are factory painted as well, but I believe I read on here somewhere ( a long while ago) that some people just spray paint their caps. Hth...
Old 04-11-2011, 06:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Baby Michele View Post
Mine are factory painted as well, but I believe I read on here somewhere ( a long while ago) that some people just spray paint their caps. Hth...
Thanks SBM You know, I wonder then... how are people able to sell them if the paint is toxic?
Old 04-11-2011, 10:40

I never thought about that, thanks for bringing it up Maxine! I buy mine on Etsy, they are home-painted, and I guess I should be making sure she is using non toxic lead free paint. That would be our responsibility.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:41

One of my coworkers really wanted me to make flattened bottlecap necklaces for her granddaughters 2nd birthday party a couple months ago. Of course this coworker always thinks she deserves a discount and only wanted to pay cost of the bottle caps! But anyways I told her that it wasn't a good idea for such a young age group since they stick everything in their mouth and I thought the cap might cut up there lip, or the resin is probably toxic. She didn't like that answer and went to someone else anyways which was fine with me! I recommend the bottle caps to the over 15 age group just to be cspia safe (the age is 15 right?).
Old 04-11-2011, 04:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by missdana1105 View Post
One of my coworkers really wanted me to make flattened bottlecap necklaces for her granddaughters 2nd birthday party a couple months ago. Of course this coworker always thinks she deserves a discount and only wanted to pay cost of the bottle caps! But anyways I told her that it wasn't a good idea for such a young age group since they stick everything in their mouth and I thought the cap might cut up there lip, or the resin is probably toxic. She didn't like that answer and went to someone else anyways which was fine with me! I recommend the bottle caps to the over 15 age group just to be cspia safe (the age is 15 right?).
I think 15 is a bit much. I would say not for under 3 years. My 3.5 year old is fine with hers. I wouldn't give my 18 month old son one until he's done the 'everything in the mouth' stage... or if you think 3 is still too young then I would say age 6years and up.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromMyasCloset View Post
I think 15 is a bit much. I would say not for under 3 years. My 3.5 year old is fine with hers. I wouldn't give my 18 month old son one until he's done the 'everything in the mouth' stage... or if you think 3 is still too young then I would say age 6years and up.
I agree that 15 is a bit much but I believe that is the age when US CSPIA laws regarding lead etc change. I use that as a general guideline for customers to cover my behind! lol
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif