5/8" polka dot grosgrain ribbon
Hip Girl Boutique It's a girl grosgrain satin ribbon collection
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/200pc-crochet-headband-combo.jpg

hip girl boutique grosgrain mini bow tie single prong alligator hair bow clips for baby infant new born women girl adult

http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/hair-bow-holder-craft-show-display-180.jpg
New products--Crochet headbands

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 03-30-2011, 03:42

Default A Carrot

I bought a carrot sculpture the other day. The girl only wanted $1.00!!!! I wanted to learn how to make it. I don't really like the way hers looks. You can see the glue and the green she used for the top was 3/8 ribbon shredded. Litterally shredded no heat seal nothing. Was wondering maybe if I could find a tut that I could use along with the actual sculpture.

Here is a paid one. http://www.theribbonretreat.com/(S(j...tructions.aspx

TIA

Last edited by jessicasbowtique; 03-30-2011 at 04:28.
Sponsored Links

Old 03-30-2011, 04:09

Default Re: A Carrot

Just a thought...why don't you come up with a better way to do it...the way you like it. Most ladies on here perfect their bows by making it their own way...even if the bow started from a tut. I think everyone tries to put their own special touch in each bow.

I'm going to be honest with you, and I hope you don't think I'm being mean (not my intention at all)...but buying bows and tearing them apart really isn't a dignified (sp) way of figuring bows out. How would you like it if someone bought one of your bows just to take it apart and figure out how you made it?

Sure we all need inspiration at times, but I don't think that's the right way to do it. I look at pics of bows for inspiration, but I wouldn't intentionally buy a bow from another maker and tear it apart to copy it. I know I get mad when someone tries to buy a bow just to take it apart because that's MY creation and I don't want it copied to the T. I know some ladies don't think it's wrong and that's fine everyone has their own opinion...just sharing my opinion on that

But really if you want it to look different...come up with a new way to make it that suits your taste
Old 03-30-2011, 04:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy0305 View Post
Just a thought...why don't you come up with a better way to do it...the way you like it. Most ladies on here perfect their bows by making it their own way...even if the bow started from a tut. I think everyone tries to put their own special touch in each bow.

I'm going to be honest with you, and I hope you don't think I'm being mean (not my intention at all)...but buying bows and tearing them apart really isn't a dignified (sp) way of figuring bows out. How would you like it if someone bought one of your bows just to take it apart and figure out how you made it?

Sure we all need inspiration at times, but I don't think that's the right way to do it. I look at pics of bows for inspiration, but I wouldn't intentionally buy a bow from another maker and tear it apart to copy it. I know I get mad when someone tries to buy a bow just to take it apart because that's MY creation and I don't want it copied to the T. I know some ladies don't think it's wrong and that's fine everyone has their own opinion...just sharing my opinion on that

But really if you want it to look different...come up with a new way to make it that suits your taste
I think this is very well said from start to finish. I completely agree!
Old 03-30-2011, 04:16

I didn't tear it apart. I have no intentions of tearing it apart. That just wrong!!! I bought it so I could look at it to figure it out. Thank you anyways.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicasbowtique View Post
I didn't tear it apart. I have no intentions of tearing it apart. That just wrong!!! I bought it so I could look at it to figure it out. Thank you anyways.
You don't have to get mad at what I said just because you didn't tear it apart. You still bought it just to copy it....you said so yourself. Buying it just to copy it is wrong imo whether you tear it apart or just look at it...you're still meaning to figure out/copy someone else's creation. When you expand your business and come up with original ideas, you won't someone buying your bow/product to figure it out...believe me it's not a good feeling, especially knowing the person doing it is another bow maker/compitition

I'm just saying most bow people try to come up with new ways themselves. The only way you are going to get to how you like it is to try out different ways to do it yourself. Try different things out until you find what suits you best, that's the best way to do it honestly
Old 03-30-2011, 04:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy0305 View Post
You don't have to get mad at what I said just because you didn't tear it apart. You still bought it just to copy it....you said so yourself. Buying it just to copy it is wrong imo whether you tear it apart or just look at it...you're still meaning to figure out/copy someone else's creation. When you expand your business and come up with original ideas, you won't someone buying your bow/product to figure it out...believe me it's not a good feeling, especially knowing the person doing it is another bow maker/compitition

I'm just saying most bow people try to come up with new ways themselves. The only way you are going to get to how you like it is to try out different ways to do it yourself. Try different things out until you find what suits you best, that's the best way to do it honestly
Yeah, I, along with most bowmakers, HATE it when people do this...

Kudos to the pp - very good advice!
Old 03-30-2011, 04:34

If they pay for it I don't see what the big deal is. You make money off of them trying to figure out your bow. If you are good enough at it they can try to copy you all they want but they will not be able to get as good as you unless they try for ever. Believe me it has taken me almost a year to get as good as I am now, and I know I am nowhere near where I would like to be. I do know though that I am the only one in my area that does the Twisted bows. This make me original. Most people might buy your product with that intention but really how many are going to follow through with. I would say maybe 2 out every 10 people. If you have a good customer base then you shouldn't have to worry about it. I am not mad I don't care. I wasn't asking for opinions. I just wanted help. If you didn't want to give it to me then why did you post?
Old 03-30-2011, 04:39

I think she DID give you help when she told you that it is wrong to buy something ONLY so you can try to copy it. Instead of buying someone elses creation to copy why not buy a tutorial instead? Or even better play around with it until you get it the way that YOU want it.

Just because you pay for the item does not mean that it gives you the right to use it only to copy off of it. Well you can do what you want with it but its definitely not a good/honest thing to do.

Good luck!
Old 03-30-2011, 04:46

Not taking sides here because I see both sides.
A - I agree you shouldn't buy items solely for the purpose to copy. Research on here and I'm sure you could of found it for free maybe, but not much sharing goes on in this group anymore.

B- Who cares if someone bought it to try to figure it out, it's their waste of money not yours. Was it coming out of your pocket? No. I don't see what's the difference about someone buying an item to study how it was made or buying the item to critique someone's work. Both are wrong.

Want to add- Listen to the girls here, they give great advice and have beautiful items. If you do not like constructive criticism then do not post items - that is for anyone who reads this post. Everyone is trying to help everyone.

Last edited by britt1234; 03-30-2011 at 04:49.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicasbowtique View Post
If they pay for it I don't see what the big deal is. You make money off of them trying to figure out your bow. If you are good enough at it they can try to copy you all they want but they will not be able to get as good as you unless they try for ever. Believe me it has taken me almost a year to get as good as I am now, and I know I am nowhere near where I would like to be. I do know though that I am the only one in my area that does the Twisted bows. This make me original. Most people might buy your product with that intention but really how many are going to follow through with. I would say maybe 2 out every 10 people. If you have a good customer base then you shouldn't have to worry about it. I am not mad I don't care. I wasn't asking for opinions. I just wanted help. If you didn't want to give it to me then why did you post?
I did try to help by saying come up with a way that YOU would like it. That's advice/help...even with tuts there's going to be something you'll want to change, what better way to figure that out than doing it your way? Then it'll be how you like it and not how everyone else makes it.

So are you saying if another bow maker in your area bought one of your twisted to see how you made it, then started making it as well (no longer making you unique/original) that you wouldn't be mad in the least bit? Maybe you'll know exactly how it feels if it happens to you (hopefully it won't, but in this biz it happens and it sucks!)

I can give my opinion and I DID try to help and give advice...it's just not what you were looking for exactly. If you think what you did was right and other doing that is right, so be it that's your opinion and you are entitled to it as I am with mine...just trying to show you that some bowmakers hate when other bow makers do it to them...simple as that.

That all aside....my advice again: Try to modify it to your liking by trying different things yourself, and find out what you like best. Start with the tut you found and add/take away things to make it your way. You are the only one that can make it perfect and exactly how you want it
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg