http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/digital-image-editing%20-%20gallery.jpg
Saddle Stitch Ribbon
new products--1/4' plastic headbands
New colors--3/8' party dot and gymbo dot grosgrain ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/horse-grosgrain-ribbon-029.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/apple-grosgrain-ribbon-combo.jpg
New product--3/8' wrapped headband
new clearance items

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 03-30-2011, 09:39

Default Re: A Carrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettypiggysboutique View Post
LOL!! I do get it, that it's not right to flat out copy something. Sorta like don't announce you are going to rob a bank, it might cause problems!
Exactly
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:53

You do make a valid point. Pulling inspiration/looking at the product to figure it out is the same thing to some extent. Idk, I still feel it is tacky to buy a product and then analyze it to see how it was made. I guess I have a bit of a chip on my shoulder from people doing this to me. Craft shows where women come up and basically pull my stuff apart trying to figure it out or buying to take it apart and figure it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettypiggysboutique View Post
I'm not putting my dog in this fight, BUT once she buys it, it is hers to do WHATEVER she wants with it. As a bowmaker, NO I don't want to be copied. It happens yes and I don't see anything different with buying a bow to copy or posting a pic and asking how to copy it. At least the original designer got something out of the deal! How many times has the "loopy" bow been posted and asked how to make it??? And COPIED to a T??? Did anybody buy her original bow, did she get anything out of it, NO and everyone copied her. Call it inspiration if you wish, but if you are re-creating it even if you add your twist, isn't it a little bit of copying! We are all GUILTY of that at some point.
THIS! I know it doesn't change that it is being done but something about broadcasting it gets us all in a frenzy. Keep it to yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krysia View Post
If you're hellbent on copying, then do it QUIETLY. Posting it blatantly in a forum like this is going to antagonize people...
Old 03-30-2011, 09:54

I've had this happen to me not to long ago, not a good feeling. Has it hurt my business? Not really, they can try to imitate all they want, like you ladies metioned, we make our creations in our own way. At the end of the day I know that my work will speak for itself! I don't have a problem sharing input if it's asked. There is another thread tonight about my two-toned carnation puffs, and I made a comment as a sign of appreciation from all the help I have received in return. It's another thing to spend time to create a perfect item just to have it hacked into. Although I'm paid for my item, I still see it as a waste. A waste of my time and my talent. JMO, it's not directed towards you or anyone else in this thread. Just wanted to share how I felt when it happened to me.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:01

I know it happens, but it would break my heart to have something that I put my heart into purchased and then torn apart!

It's annoying as all get out when people come into my booth solely for the purpose of picking something up and twisting it around to get good looks at it.

Now, I have a few items for *touching* and the rest are all in sealed packages.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:05

Jessica part of the problem is, every time you post and people give honest opinions you feel attacked... You really need to decide if this is the right avenue for you.. I post and ask what people think, and YES people have said.. UH NO YOUR SMOKING something and have been open and honest. didn't hurt my feelings, i was able to go back a work more at what I'm trying to do, take some suggestions, and leave some at the door.

YOU opened yourself up TWICE on buying to copy, well there are those on here who FIRMLY believe its wrong, YOU WILL HEAR if from them... there are others on here that feel its ok, AGAIN you will hear from them.

You need big girl pants on this forum, you can take everything so negative... If I took everything as negative as you, i wouldn't be where I'm at today.

I personally wont give you advise anymore because of how you shoot those that try to help you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicasbowtique View Post
I am sorry I started such a ruckus. This is ridiculous. I never found a tut. I had never seen this before until I walked into a boutique and seen it. That's what I originally posted this for was to see if anyone had ran across a tut. I have never bought another item to copy it. I have no clue where that came from. Why would I want to copy something exactly like what I've bought. I am a visually person. Tuts help me but I do better if I can see it in front of me too. I actually know a girl that started making hair bows because of me. I told her kudos. I hope she does well. You have to also promote yourself too. It's not just making them that goes into it. The girl that I know actually tried making firecrackers because she seen mine. Which I hate because I can't do them that well. She makes so much prettier firecracker bows than me. I just hate it that every time someone posts something on here that one person disagrees with everyone attacks them. No wonder people don't post anything or leave the forum.

Holiday, Princess, ballet shoes.....

ALL PROUDLY MADE IN THE U.S.A.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by didi453 View Post
There is another thread tonight about my two-toned carnation puffs, and I made a comment as a sign of appreciation from all the help I have received in return. .
Aw!! I just read your carnation thread. I had that happen recently with somethign that I had made, and it made me feel good to have something of mine worth fussing over!! LOL Loved your comments. :0)

Nope, I just don't think discussing something in that way is the same as purchasing something for the purpose of tearing it apart. Which is the only thing that I'm addressing-not copying in general.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiesmoon View Post
YOU opened yourself up TWICE on buying to copy, well there are those on here who FIRMLY believe its wrong, YOU WILL HEAR if from them... there are others on here that feel its ok, AGAIN you will hear from them.
This!! We argue all the time about what is okay and not okay in regards to EVERYTHING to do with bow making, so be prepared for those that don't agree, and those that do...Because we all have opinions, and we all share them.

Copying, in general, gets us all heated-on BOTH sides of the fence. It's a touchy subject. No one can start a thread about copying and not expect the drama to follow...
Old 03-30-2011, 10:15

Disagreeing is NOT attacking. Where would this awesome forum be if we weren't allowed to disagree?? It would be a pretty boring place. How can we form awesome friendships here if we weren't allowed to share our true selves...which includes offering opinions and perspectives that aren't always the same as everyone elses.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:16

I completely understand that it is an awful feeling to have somebody come into your booth and pick at your bows. And it sucks to have something bought that you know they are just going to take apart. It's happened to me too many times to count. I had a lady go as far as to ask me how I make my bows. When I told her I wouldn't tell her, she straight out told me "that's fine I'll just take one apart and figure it out" But I've also been on the other side and seen a bow and thought hmmm I think I want to make one of them. Or a dress and thought Oh I can do that in this fabric. I'm not saying it is right, I just wanted it to be seen from another perspective. We are all guilty of a little bit of copying, admit it or not!
Old 03-30-2011, 10:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothermayi View Post
Disagreeing is NOT attacking. Where would this awesome forum be if we weren't allowed to disagree?? It would be a pretty boring place. How can we form awesome friendships here if we weren't allowed to share our true selves...which includes offering opinions and perspectives that aren't always the same as everyone elses.
HUH? Since when Joking, joking! I couldn't agree with you more.

I feel the big issue is that there is a very fine line between inspiration and plagiarism. When that line is slightly toyed with or blatantly danced on it is going to upset people. There are a lot of people who spent their time and money to come up with designs only to have them replicated by the thousands. Personally I don't have an issue with the basics ... hell, I'll tell you how to make those, but if you were to take, oh let's say one of Veronica's bows, and copy it to a T and then try to sell it, I think it is crossing a line. Just my 2 pennies for ya

Also, it has been 147+ days since I have seen my DH, so don't expect me to be all rainbows and sunshine when you are being stupid. Oh, let us not forget the glitter.
Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies