ribbon and bows and free hairbow instructions

http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/peony-ad.gif
7-8 zebra and leopard grosgrain ribbon
New product--7/8' sister ribbon
Mini Pinwheel Bows

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 03-30-2011, 10:12

Default Cheer bows - Part 2

So I had started a thread yesterday about making cheer bows for a colleague of mine for her cheerleading squad. Never ever done one before but that is another thread... I had a comment on that thread....

"Good Luck, that is where it all starts" - You know my sister said the same thing to me yesterday and it got me thinking.

I would love to hear some stories about how you first got started. Maybe there is a situation like mine where one team wanted your bows and it spread from there. I keep day dreaming about the mom's of the cheerleaders seeing my other bows and flower clips and want to buy my stuff. So ladies, tell me your stories....
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2011, 10:15

Default Re: Cheer bows - Part 2

Not with cheer bows but with my other stuff. I just had my DD wearing it and it has blossomed from there. Not a lot of business but just enough to help feed my addiction Wishing you lots of success!
Old 03-30-2011, 10:30

Thank you so much, I really appreciate that. I started selling bows here at work for Christmas and the girls here and some guys, ate it up. I got sells of about $ 200. I thought that was an OK start. Especially off just basic bows, no fancy stacked ones. Which one day I really hope to make but that is another thread. LOL. The sales however did feed my addiction and I still need to recoup a couple of hundred to get out of the red but I'm certain if I keep going and don't quit I will get there. Thanks for sharing your story.

Any other success stories?
Old 03-30-2011, 10:47

I got started making bows, because I always wanted to make them. When my cousin opened a boutique I just jumped in and started making them and it has just grown up from there.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:00

Wow I bet that was exciting! I'd love to hear more...
Old 03-30-2011, 01:08

Well, cheer bows are all I make. I got started as a Team Parent for my DD's Pop Warner team. I saw how much it cost to purchase bows and decided that I was crafty enough that I could probably save her team some money and make them myself. The rest is history....

I purchased the NBNG instructions, made a few samples for the team for their competition. I was able to make their bows for less than 1/4 of the purchase cost.

The following year, I was making the entire program's bows, plus another program's as well. My DD moved to HS and I started making their bows too.

During the Pop Warner football season and competitive cheer season, I make bows now for three local Pop Warner Programs, and two local high school teams of three squads each!

Love what I do now, minus the full-time job!

Find me on Facebook at Cheer Bows by Cheer 'N Bowz
Old 03-30-2011, 04:39

Wow that is great! Thanks for sharing.

Now I have another delimma ...my colleague's current bows are $2.50 she says and she wants to keep at $5 - 10. She is aware she is getting better quality but doesn't want to raise the bows too much. I had these ideas of two ribbon bows, or maybe a sequined layer on top, but I don't know if I can pull it off for $5. I know $10 but not sure about $5. Also, I have no idea how to charge for bows...I've seen other threads so I guess I do have a lil idea but my head really is starting to spin. But it's ok...I love a challenge.

Does anybody know what kind of bow I could give within the rage of $5 - $10 and still make a decent profit.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:04

I don't do cheer bows (yet-but who knows) but I got started making bows to raise some money for a friend. I made bows for my own daughters already and thought I could help her out. She is adopting two special needs children from China. I was going to send her the bows, but took them to school to show a friend who had been asking about bows. Word got out that I had bows and I sold everything I had. Made more. Sold out again. Started getting special orders and could barely keep up.

Finally made enough stock to do my first show and did great there. I sold to two boutiques after that. It really rolling now.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancyhookwork4u View Post
Wow that is great! Thanks for sharing.

Now I have another delimma ...my colleague's current bows are $2.50 she says and she wants to keep at $5 - 10. She is aware she is getting better quality but doesn't want to raise the bows too much. I had these ideas of two ribbon bows, or maybe a sequined layer on top, but I don't know if I can pull it off for $5. I know $10 but not sure about $5. Also, I have no idea how to charge for bows...I've seen other threads so I guess I do have a lil idea but my head really is starting to spin. But it's ok...I love a challenge.

Does anybody know what kind of bow I could give within the rage of $5 - $10 and still make a decent profit.
If you are looking to provide a bow with a sequin layer, you could possibly provide a solid sequin 2 1/4" bow or a two layer (one with sequin) for about $10.

Personally, I find that if I do not charge at least $10 for bows with sequins or spandex, it is really not worth my time or the payment. I love making bows, but there are additional materials involved and time as well.

I posted a couple of pics, to give you an idea of what I would sell for $10.

HTH!
Ann
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1113102307.jpg (37.7 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Gold White Sequin Cheerbow.jpg (88.2 KB, 27 views)

Find me on Facebook at Cheer Bows by Cheer 'N Bowz
Old 03-31-2011, 10:31

Gmcks2001 you are heaven sent and a wealth of information. Thank you so much for the pictures. I was able to get an idea of what I could do. I am expecting my ribbon to come in today so I'll get playing with it. I will keep you all posted.

Thank you so much everyone!!
Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies