New product--flat back resin
Hipgirl 40 Yards 3/8" Grosgrain Fabric Ribbon Polka Dot Set For Gift Package Wrapping, Hair Bow Clips & Accessories Making, Crafting, Sewing, Wedding Decor, Boy Girl Baby Shower-20x2yd Swiss Polka Dot
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/banners/heatnbond-lt-ad.jpg
New product--frog grosgrain ribbon
New product--5/8' dippin' dots grosgrain ribbon
New product--pop dots

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 11-16-2011, 08:45

Default Re: Paracord/Survival/Military Bracelets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woobie View Post
Thank you. I think an extra 1/2 inch may do. I just need to play around more I guess.

I get my suppkies here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/550-Paracord...ht_2481wt_1139

I get their 3/8" contoured buckle (click on see other items). You may prefer straight so it can be worn to show either side. I find the contour to be more comfortable, though.
He is a great supplier for paracord. I have never bought buckles there, but he ships fast for paracord and has lots of great colors and patterns.

My local army/navy store has a ton of paracord right now, which is great. They even have some more girly colors like light pink and powder blue. I got a great rainbow pattern with pink, blue and purple with a yellow background and it looks awesome with any other color for the second color.

Wholesale site: http://www.zibbet.com/TheCraftCorner
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif
Old 11-16-2011, 08:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woobie View Post
I've been making these for a while now, but haven't had any custom orders until now. After you measure the kid's wrist, do you measure the bracelet between the buckles (I make them w/the 3/8 contour clips)? So if I measured the wrist at 7", is the final bracelet from clip end to clip end supposed to be 7"? I thought I was supposed to allow for the buckle, so I measured from inside clip to inside clip (cord part of bracelet only), but the mom tells me it's really big. Am I making sense? What's the right way? THANKS!!
The easiest way I have found is this. The wrist is 7", then measure out enough cord for an 8" and keep in mind these can shrink up to a half inch after getting wet. Paracord is much thicker than silver or gold, for example, and you should not measure it like you would one like that. You need to measure the inside of the bracelet, not outside or end to end. But that is a pain in the butt so I do it this way.

In the end you will have a bracelet a little smaller than an 8". Most of the toddler ones I make are 4.5, so I make a bracelet up to 5.5. My 3 girls up to age 12 have 5.5 or so wrists and wear a 6.5. My wrist is exactly 6 inches and I prefer my bracelets tight, I wear a 6.5 after shrinking, so I make a 7 for myself. You get the idea.

Also keep in mind, not to make bracelets by age, ALWAYS get wrist measurements because my 20 year college wrestler has a full 9 inch wrist, while my 44 year old husband has a 7.5 in wrist.

Good luck!

Feel free to contact my via my Etsy or my FB/knotkrazy if you have anymore questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prleaf View Post
omg - the name of your etsy - priceless!
Thank you!!!

As for other posts:

I prefer 3/8" contoured, they really are more comfortable. However lately I have been using shackles as the men like those better. I also use no buckle at all sometimes, and now and then a knot and loop. Once or twice I have used crimp ends and a lobster claw clasp. Really depends on the customer's wishes.

You can purchase buckles and paracord fairly cheaply on eBay. I buy my cord by the 1000 foot rolls now, buying by the 100 foot, I just couldn't keep it in stock. Try to never pay more than $10 for 100 feet, they are just ripping you off. There is one person that has a great selection and he knows it and charges according... Like $5 for 25 feet! Always compare before buying!!! Oh and shipping dates/area, nothing worse than needing a color that week and getting a shipper from China!

As for ends: I only get black ends when I use a candle! That's so funny! I really go through lighters like crazy though. And lastly, depending on the item, occasionally I will use a needle and thread to hold something in place, i.e. a letter, an end, etc.

Last edited by Darqflame; 11-16-2011 at 08:51. Reason: Oops, wrong price!
Old 11-17-2011, 09:53

Where do you get a great deal on shackles? I think I prefer the look of them over the buckles.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura612 View Post
Where do you get a great deal on shackles? I think I prefer the look of them over the buckles.
My husband found some place to get them, but I haven't received them yet. I will let you know if they are good or not. But for now I just get them at the hardware store. Plain metal ones run around $2 but Stainless Steel shackles run nearly 5 dollars so I don't keep them in stock, and unfortunately the customer has to make up the difference. Hopefully this new place they are financially worth keeping in stock.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:12

That's around the price I was finding and couldn't see myself paying that and being able to keep the price of the bracelet affordable. I may check out the price at Lowe's to test them First I need to see if I can even make these.. and then whether or not they will sell in my area. LOL

I went ahead and bought 25 side release buckles and 125 yards of paracord yesterday to test the waters with. I want to make some as pet collars as well.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:31

FYI, I was in AC Moore yesteday. They're selling paracord bracelets for 2.99. They are also selling 16 ft of cord for 1.99. If you use a 40% or 50% coupon, you could save a bunch if you need it in a pinch. Color selection was lacking and not really any for girls, but... I have to say this kinda bums me out (that they're selling completed ones and at that price point).
Old 03-22-2012, 12:06

I'm so tired of craft supply stores selling completed items!!
Old 04-03-2012, 02:24

My ds. Is 11 and has been making these a lot lately for friends and family. He got paracord at the army surplus store for 8 cents a foot. He was even able to get pink for some girls who wanted them. He is knotting one end and looping the other for closure. He also makes keychains. All the kids at his school want him to make them some.